What lift kit? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

View Poll Results: What lift?
3.5" superflex for $4000 2 11.76%
40mm ironman lift with highline for $3700 3 17.65%
2.5" rancho lift for $3200 1 5.88%
Ome 2" lift for $1000 with 1" body lift 8 47.06%
Other 3 17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-02-2011
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

sorry i was meaning there are many threads about lift kits ect ect and "also" many jeepers swap out the rear RE 3.5" springs, i know a few jeepers on AJOR have but i was talking about jeepforum.com (american forum), but go through some build threads on here so you can see wat set ups guys are running, i was running 31's with a transfercase drop and 2.5" lift kit for about a year ( no sye or dc shaft) and it went pretty far but this allowed me to figure out i needed to do to get where i am now, by the type of 4wding i was doing i needed bigger wheels so i chose to go for 33's but with 33's you need to set your jeep up a bit to take them, i was running 33's with a 2.5" lift fine and a transfercase drop but recentyl i got the sye and dc shaft allowing be to lift it higher and all that.

im not sure of what you mean but a (3.5"standard lift) but let me break it down for you with the set up im running and what else i need to add to get it perfect for my style of driving, as everyone is different.

im currentyl running:
2.5" Moab long travel coils
1" coil spacers
SYE and DC drivesahft
Rear upper adj control arms
Extended brake lines front and rear
Front adjustable Panhard/trackbar
Rear Panhard/trackbar lower bracket ( should buy rear adj trackbar tho)
extended bumpstops all round
rancho 9000xls adj shockies at about adj 3(softish)

umm and i think that my suspension set up atm, i may be missing something but cant remember

things i want to add are:
lower adj or fixed control arms
front upper adj control arms
HD tie rod
Rear adj trackbar

and thats really it for my suspension, thats pretty much a short arm kit in itself but iv decided that i didnt want the RE coils as i like a soft ride for the road and then i just stiffen up my shocks when i go offroad a bit

now for wheels im running:

33x12.5x15 mickey thompson MTZ
15x8 steel rims with 3.75backspacing

i havent done any diff stuff yet as i can afford it but i will be doing:

4.56 ratios ( good for 33's and 35") but if you want to run 35" or 37"s id recommend 4.88's
im gonna overhaul my rear dana 44 and front 30 (seals, bearings ect ect)
for 35's i believe you need to strengthen the front axel, so chromoloy axles are the best IMO but you can just truss the front axle and do stuff like that
outer axle seals are good to keep mud and crap out also
lockers if you want

diffs arnt cheap at all so get your money ready, but if your gonna do one diff you might aswell do the other with ratios and all that stuff, you cant runn one diff with 4.56's and the other with 3.07's thats why we do the diffs at the same time!

you might also need to extend all your breathers(diff, trandfercase ect ect)

ummm i may of forgotten some stuff as im still learning as i go but iv installed everything myself and i highly recommend you do it aswell as its very easy and if something does break on the trail you know how to fix it!

hope this helps your understanding a bit more but honestly your gonna have to research like we all did! type in "tj lift kit" on the forum here and im sure heaps of things will come up!! or even just "lift kit" and click on all the tj related ones!!

go on jeepforum.com as thats the american one and they also have lots of good information!

Last edited by crawl3r; 23-02-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 23-02-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Yer I'm doing nearly everything here. Dad is a mechanic by trade so its all good there. To start with I want to do the bare minimum. I will still be learning road driving (i can already drive) so I wont be doing anything to extreme for a while. With RE there is a 3.5" standard kit and a 3.5" superflex kit. From my research they seem to be the best option but I am not sure which one I want or if I should go something completely different. I am wondering if for now this will be ok:
RE 3.5" standard lift
Rugged ridge SYE
15x8 wheels
35x12.5 tyres
Flares

I know I will need diff gears and stuff later but right now I cant afford it. Is there anything else I absolutely need?
Thanks.
Old 23-02-2011
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

RE 3.5" standard lift
Rugged ridge SYE
15x8 wheels
35x12.5 tyres
Flares

I know I will need diff gears and stuff later but right now I cant afford it. Is there anything else I absolutely need?
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

okayy if you can afford the Superflex RE kit get that, if not just get the standard, still fine.
you cant just get the sye you need to double cardon driveshaft to go with it and rear upper adj control arms for it all to work together!
wheels are fine.
flares will need either 6" or 7"

your gonna need adj trackbars front and rear!
but apart from that your good for the lift, you get get the rest of your control arms later one
Old 23-02-2011
Full Flexer

Could you please link me to the double cardon driveshaft? I cant find it on wooders. Why do I need the rear upper adj control arms? Also adj trackbars?
Thanks.
Old 23-02-2011
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

here is a link to the dc driveshaft, talk to dave at wooders and he will tell you the exact one you need
http://www.wooders.com.au/index.php?...roducts_id=138

these are the adj rear upper control arms
http://www.wooders.com.au/index.php?...roducts_id=190

front adj panhard
http://www.wooders.com.au/index.php?...roducts_id=736

rear adj panhard
http://www.wooders.com.au/index.php?...ducts_id=15802

if you call wooders and actually talk to him he will be more then helpfull, they seem to be really busy and sometimes dont reply back to the hundred of emails they get

you need the sye to fit the double cardon driveshaft and by these two parts together you able to have a longer rear driveshaft as the stock ones are too small, but then you need to rotate your rear pinion angle to get your driveline angle spot on! if you dont do this you will break rear univesal joints because your driveline angle is at too much of an angle due to the pinion angle

thats why when you correct pinion angle you need a sye,dc driveshaft and rear upper adj control arms all together to do this!

and you need the trackbars because once you lift your jeep the axle shifts no longr being center with that car which can cause un even wear on your expensive tyres,

the key to a good suspension lift is to have everything square/centered with each other and if you can lift your jeep 3.5"s while trying to keep the right control arm length, driveline angle,axles centered with the trackbars/panhards everything will be center and it will drive smooooooth

let me find a video of this jeep thats got a 6" lift but it has adjustable arms and trackbars and he actually adjusts the so you can see what everything does!

here you go, there are 3 parts to the video, this is only part 1 but watch how he adjusts everything and you can see how the trackbars allow him to align the axles back to center, and how his control arms allow him to fix his angle, yes its a totally different kit as he has a triangular rear arms but you can kinda figure out hiw it would work if you didnt have the trangle system and if you have a trackbar

Last edited by crawl3r; 23-02-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 23-02-2011
Full Flexer

Oh I understand now. Dad will be able to help me balance and centre everything I am pretty sure he had a suspension centre for a while to. Ill call wooders tomorrow and ask him about it.
Thanks heaps for all of that youve been a great help.
Old 23-02-2011
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

no problem mate, we all have to start somewhere and i got help just like im giving you when i first came to the forum so its the least i can do

happy jeeping!