What else do I need?? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-07-2007
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question What else do I need??

Hi guys,

Well I have my WJ V8 Grand, and since purchasing a couple of weeks ago am loving it.

I have installed a ARB bullbar with some great driving lights, which are working well. Looks awesome - very happy with the bar & lights.

Had a small hiccup with the people at ARB with my headlight upgrade - but that's ok the lights aren't too bad.

I don't want to take my car seriously off-road, but a little of the beaten track to get to some nice places with the family and perhaps some of the easier MJOC trips.

What else do I need to put on the vehicle. I currently have Wrangler A/T tyres in good nick and when they are kaput I am considering Coopers ATR tyres.

I have been reading a bit, and keep hearing about front lockers, but don't know if my 'just' off-road driving will require them. A bit down the track when the WJ isn't my missus daily tractor perhaps - would they really be of any benefit at the moment?

Same as a winch - good idea but again I can't see myself going THAT off road. And if I did, I would be travelling with a club or convoy - would they have the equipment to get me out of trouble?

I would like to set the vehicle up to handle most conditions but don't want to throw money away on goodies that I just won't use.

Sorry for the newby questions but... I guess that is what I am.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 28-07-2007
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wouldn't worry about a locker for the type of driving you're suggesting. Does it have quadra-drive? If so, deffinately don't need a locker.
Winch - if you were going out alone to remote areas, maybe as you can sometimes get stuck in relatively easy stuff if your luck goes bad in mud or something. I wouldn't worry about it though, just a snatch strap if you're in a group and a shovel if you're alone.
Old 28-07-2007
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Agree with bikemat, you wont need lockers, I would suggest a good set of tyres like you want, A GPS is always handy but in terms of mods to your JEEP Towbar is a life saver.

A small lift will be handy as would a nice set of shocks to make the ride even better!

The sky is the limit as you go along you'll decide what you could do with or with out however what ever you do, in my experience don't skimp all ways go for the better option.... It's cheaper to pay a bit more to do a job well they try do it cheap and have to do it again! Welcome by the way!
Old 28-07-2007
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys.

Sorry, I didn't realise that the towbar needed to be mentioned but I've got that - Hayman Reece style is the best way I know how to describe it.

And I have the QuadraTrac2 system - the only wagon's with QD that I could afford seemed a bit rough.

I have the towbar for the rear hitch (I think it's called) and the bar has a front hook so I figure I'm covered if the snatch is required.

I've pretty much bought the best I could find (I agree wholeheartedly with you), well almost - I did baulk at $1500 for the super dooper lights bit I figure the $500ish set must be pretty good - it certainly seemed to light up the road (got one spot and one broad).

Always wanted a Jeep and when the missus agreed we needed a wagon I was home and hosed. Love the V8 - seems more powerful than the '96 V8 Statesman I had (traded in for Jeep).

Agree that I need to upgrade the suspension though. Funny, it took a while to get used to the shimmy shake that the Jeep has but now after 5 minutes of driving I don't even notice it (my other car is a work ute 2005 Rodeo which is stiff to the point of hard - so bit difference).

Thanks again for the advice guys - rapt to be part of the Jeep thing.
Old 28-07-2007
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Ohh cool glad you got a tow bar! you'll need it! hehe

Yea Lights are dear if you want the best.... The HID lightforce are $1000/light and that s a good price for them!

If you want some idea's on what to fit have a look at the top of the Grand Thread section were everyone post what there JEEPS are !

Here is the link just click this!
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...t=58582&page=4
Old 28-07-2007
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Congratulations on your new GC. There are a few options on lights but they do normally mean you have to do it yourself but it is not difficult. Probably the easiest is to go with one of the 'up-rated' globes from the US. If you do a seach on the forum you should find something. You can also put in a lighting harness upgrade which will also make a differance. And finally the 9005/9006 plus 50 globes from phillips and narva will also fit but you do have to fiddle around quite a bit with them to get them in.

You might want to look at a hand winch if you are really keen on having a winch. If I am out on my own I carry a Tirfor hand winch and if I am out with my mates I don't bother. The hand winch is actually more 'flexible' than a 'mounted winch as you can set up the 'pull' in any direction eg front, rear and side as opposed to a mounted winch which generally can only 'pul' forward.
Old 29-07-2007
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

Agree with Roachy, a Tirfor is really handy just a pain when you have to use it though as your pissed off at being stuck, I never go anywhere without my snatch strap and a couple of shackles, have taken to carrying my sons Bull Bag along as well, very handy when changing a flat, saves stuffing around with a jack.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Post New Thread  Reply