Grand Willys Project - Page 294 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-07-2023
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENAMON View Post
getting pretty excited to see it in fresh paint!
Same here!

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 28-07-2023
LokRinger

Before I start pulling down the rolling chassis and loosing all the room in the workshop, I'm thinking of anything at all that I wouldn't mind changing the appearance of before it goes to paint.

I decided to replace the 3 rounded beads I had on my side steps to more useful flat top ribs that I could put some grip tape on. More ribs as well to make it stiffer and the paint better protected. I'm just using a step die to do all of one side of each rib first before turning the piece around to do the other side.

To finish off the ends of the ribs I'm using the step die to run across the very end of each one only. This leaves the end up more than crushing the ends to finish them off.

Measuring across the ribbed section showed that in a flat plain, it was slightly shorter than the ends. So a little shrink at the end of each rib sorted that out.

A bit of work stretching along the side of the ribs anywhere it was low got the rest of the piece completely flat.

Cut the three rounded beads out to sit the new piece in ready for tacking into place. I thought this was easier than starting the step from scratch again as know this fits perfectly and I can't check the fit as the whole bed is already removed and in pieces.

Just the shrinking of the tacks twisted the whole piece up 35mm or 1.25"!

Knowing that it was flat before tacking, I knew that just stretching the tacks would bring it flat again. Just hit each tack a similar amount and continued around a number of times until it sat flat again.

I did one continuous tig weld and knocked off any particular high spots in the bead before planishing the weld to stretch it. You don't want to go too hard and fast with it or otherwise you get a trough each side of the bead. I stretch it from both sides as well depending of what it needs always keeping within the heat effected zone. I grind the weld bead down in stages between hammering it to keep it all flat. Once the piece was perfectly flat again, I would go to the next side and repeat. That way you always know where the distortion is coming from.

Checked in every direction to make sure it was flat. You can also see what the step looked like with just the three rounded beads.

Both sides now done.

My web site:
Old 30-07-2023
LokRinger

Thought I would dress up the brackets I made to hold the washer and radiator overflow bottles. They were perfectly functional, but a bit of a custom look would make them look better as well.

Laid out a design and happy I don't anymore have to use a holesaw to cut large holes, as it always stalled my drill press. Using a hydraulic hole punch instead is faster and gives a cleaner result.

Once the holes were punched I cut out the pieces and folded the flanges. Used the same tool with my dimple dies.

Bracket cover pieces finished.

I spot welded them to the original brackets.

Looks less rudimentary now.

This will help them tie in with the bonnet supports etc that I also dimple die'd.

My web site:
Old 22-08-2023
LokRinger

Update on the deconstruction of the Willys Truck.
https://youtu.be/SpNaEhBXwMY

My web site:
Old 26-09-2023
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 29 Times in 26 Posts

How's the paint going!? Any sneak peek updates?
Old 26-09-2023
LokRinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENAMON View Post
How's the paint going!? Any sneak peek updates?
I only have updates on the painting I have been doing and been adding videos to my Youtube channel. Haven't linked here as have had trouble getting onto the site and I can't getting logged off when I do!

Didn't think anyone here was interested either so haven't posted, along with other forums as well.

The painters have only sent one photo so far showing that it passed all adhesion tests as they were worried after the use of the wax and lanolin. All was fine just using wax and grease remover and then sanding with a DA as they would normally anyway.
Hope to get another update at the end of this month if they have been working on it!

My web site:
Old 28-09-2023
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 29 Times in 26 Posts

Yeah that's fair enough! I've also had issues logging onto this website over the last few weeks.

I've been following this since the very start - so always keen to see updates!

Interesting point you bring up regarding the lanolin - I was also thinking about that when it came time for paint. I've heard things like tyre shine and anything silicone based makes it a complete nightmare for painters - so was wondering how they would go stripping all the lanolin out of the creases and crevices.

Will check out you tube
Post New Thread  Reply