KJ CRD Diesel Owners FAQ - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-09-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilmo View Post
Where can I find a service manual for the CRD?

Here:

http://www.microwise.com.au/jeep/man...viceManual.pdf
This link seems to not be functioning anymore. I'd like to get hold of the manual if it's available.
Old 16-09-2011
Spotter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

http://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/
Old 19-10-2011
Spotter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thought I would add here a link to the thread on "Extending your Breathers"
"Insert Link Here"

Last edited by Rossow; 19-10-2011 at 04:25 PM. Reason: link now goes to page 1
Old 24-12-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Cleaning sensors on kj 2.5crd 2003

I've searched high and low for info on what sensors can be removed and cleaned on my 2.5 crd, but can find only one ...by Wilmo... mentioned any where. My 2003 Cherokee Limited seems to be a bit heavy on fuel lately [11.4 l/100] on the highway at 60mph]. It had no books or manuals when I bought her and despite many, many searchs on the internet, I cannot find a manual which deals with the 2.5 diesel. The motor runs like a clock, blows no smoke at all, ever..uses no oil [no leaks even]. She has done 94,000 miles and is serviced every 5000 km's. My other 4wd is lwb Nissan Patrol, 2.8 litre diesel [TD-6] with 260,000 Km's on the clock and she gives me around 8.5 l/100km's at the same speed, so that will give you an idea of how I drive. [like grandad !]

Any help will be gratefully recieved.

Last edited by bgbazz; 24-12-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 25-12-2011
AJOR Silver

Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

We probably could use a little more information, like what sort of fuel economy were you getting before it went to 11.4L.100kms and was this a sudden change or gradually over time.

If you have an exhaust gas temperature (EGT) gauge you would be familiar with the fueling characteristics of your KJ, somtimes something as simple as a bad tank of fuel (which has been cut or diulted by another liquid) can alter fuel economy significantly. It might be a good idea to burn through your present tank and then refill from a good diesel fuel source (like one that trucks use so that it cycles through the storage tank quickly and thus is fresh). Also in your climate at this time of year you can get waxing occuring which can block up your fuel filter, make sure you have the right fuel blend or use and aftermarket additive to winterize your fuel).

After that, I'd move on the the following steps:
As a first step I would concentrate on the two main culprits in any diesel engine problem or this sort: fuel and air supply. Check you air box for any blockages, put in a new air filter, clean your MAF sensor (ok maybe the 2.5 doesn't have one of those) and make sure the airbox to turbo hose has not come loose at the turbo connection end. Then check your turbo to intercooler hose connection and clamps to make sure it is not loose and allowing charged air to escape (thus reducing boost which can make you over fuel the engine with your right foot even though you might not be concious of it). Next check the intercooler to engine charged air hose again to make sure there are no leaks and the clamps are all tight. If you can have a good look around the neck of the intercooler on the intake hose side, there have been some case of intercooler cooler tube cracking near the intake neck which can allow boost to escape. Once you have done that the intake air side should be validated.

Next check your fueling system starting with replacing the fuel filter and bleeding the system properly to eliminate any air in the system.
Old 25-12-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default economy

Thanks for the speedy reply..given me something to work on at last.
The fuel burn rate used to be between 8.8 and 9.5 on the highway and between 7.9 and 8.3 in town and the change seems to have happened over the last 300 or so kilometres. It may be that the quality of the fuel plays a part in this. The diesel available here in Bulgaria is of questionable quality at the best of times and now that the temperature in the mornings range from minus 9 degrees [right now] to just above freezing, this might be significant. The motor starts on first crank as soon as the glowplug light goes out regardless of the outside temp and the idle is very smooth, hot or cold.

As soon as it warms up outside I will be checking all the hoses and connections as per your advice and see how we go from there. I would love to have some of the guages and things that you guys have on your Jeeps, but getting them over here is almost impossible. I have been here over five years and have yet to recieve anything that has ever been sent to me from anywhere!!! No letters, parcels at all!!!!

Anyway, thanks for the advice and be sure I will follow it.

Have a Merry Xmas

Last edited by bgbazz; 25-12-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 26-12-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Minus 9 to just above freezing!! My god thats cold. How do you do it ?

Is it beer o"clock yet!!!!

2005 TJ
2003 KJ CRD
Little 03 Honda Jazz
Post New Thread  Reply