Outrageous intermittent sqeak. 2003 TJ - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Technical
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2015
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Outrageous intermittent sqeak. 2003 TJ

Need your thoughts on something guys.

I have a 2003 TJ Manual, 115'000km in pretty good condition with a lot of after market bits. Lockers, diff gears etc.

Recent background incident:
In December I had a transfer case rear tail shaft yoke snap from being ground too aggressively from the factory - weak point gave way, blew the tail shaft off that span around bashing the muffler before I stopped (low speed on dirt road coming out of a bog).

Had a new yoke spun up to suit, got a new drive shaft built with new uni's on each end and new straps. That got it back on the road without vibrations and everything was fine.

Fairly recently however it's developed a random, INTERMITTENT (maybe every 3rd or 4th drive, generally only when from cold that 'NORMALLY' but not always goes away after about 5-10 minutes meaning it could be metal or something hard that as it expands with heat it fills a gap?

The sound is a high pitched, rapid, fairly loud, metal on metal sounding squeak that's coming from underneath the truck. I'm NOT SURE where it is, what it is, even which corner it's coming from but it is VERY clearly audible from within the car because it's so high pitched. The sound does NOT speed up as the car speeds up, it normally only starts at about 35kph and seems to dull out at about 55kph (or the car sound washes it out). It is not the serpentine belt. The car has NEVER had death wobble. Car does not vibrate or shake / shudder. Rolls smoothly, had a wheel alignment done not so long ago and all is correct. Nothing snapped or exploded, it only developed after this December incident. One thought was possibly it was a baffle in the exhaust that got smashed and broke loose from the tail shaft impact however you'd think that would be a constant sound or at least become audible when revving the engine through a certain reverberation range.

To try and eliminate possible causes this is what I have done:
Did a once over with lube spray on all control arm joints, bushes, shock towers, springs, drive shaft unis', exhaust mount rubber baffles, sway bar mounts etc...

Greased: sway bar disconnects, drive shaft yokes, uni's greased, steering knuckles and linkage, control arms etc.

Oils: engine, diffs front and rear, transfer case, power steering, brakes all fine and topped up.

Tightened: Found a loose body mount under driver seat. Evap type canister was slightly loose under engine computer.

Driving - Straight line, smooth road:
Increase speed slowly, squeak starts about 30kph.
Heavy breaking - no effect (body roll does not effect noise)
Aggressive turning - no effect (doesn't seem to be wheel bearings)
Clutch in while moving - no effect (doesn't seem to be transmission)
Different gears - no effect (doesn't seem to be transmission)
Rocking car while static - no effect (doesn't seem to be suspension)
Turn engine off while rolling at speed (no effect, sound continues)
2H to 4H while moving - no effect (not transfer case related, same constant sound)
Revving engine aggressively - no effect, same speed and pitch sound.
Static - no squeak, only heard while moving 35-50ish kph

With all this.... What do you think the cause might be? I can't exactly strap myself under the car and drive down the freeway looking for problems. It's really pissing me off.

Thanks fellas.
Old 10-06-2015
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 281 Times in 182 Posts

I had a similar problem, turned out to be the U shaped strap that holds the rear leaf spring leaves in place.
Old 10-06-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

How are the wheel bearings?

Have you greased or looked at he front driveshaft? Could be the ball joint in the double cardan (makes a chirping noise when the grease dries up)

Maybe try checking the torque on the exhaust bolts where it connects to the header. Mine was loose, was making a clunking noise against the sump at certain speeds

Semper scandere. Frater, an attollere?

Last edited by TJ Dave; 10-06-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-06-2015
Full Flexer

Just for laughs check the wheel nut torque, if they are loose can squeak

Old 10-06-2015
Senior Newbie

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Far out...reminds of that ad where the guy stripped out his car just to find his wifes earrings in the ash tray...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Old 10-06-2015
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab1970 View Post
Far out...reminds of that ad where the guy stripped out his car just to find his wifes earrings in the ash tray...
To be honest, it wouldn't be a proper Jeep if it didn't make a random un-diagnosable noise occasionally or all the time

Old 12-08-2015

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

TJIM, what ended up being the problem as it is happening to me
Post New Thread  Reply