Diesel Timing belt change - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

The press release states that on this VM engine the timing belt change interval is rated up to 140,000 km?

Last edited by EugeJK; 04-04-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-04-2011
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjk View Post
I checked the local auto one store today and they didn't have a listing for it. I checked the thread and couldn't find any info for the timing belt if there is something there can you give me a link please.
you're right. auto one supply the serpentine belt, oil filter and air filter, but not the timing belt. i bought mine years ago when i made up a full spares kit of belts and hoses and filters. the timing belt was genuine. i guess DBOR could give the source of the belt then.
Old 05-04-2011
not just a web wheeler

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

We sell pretty much everything for the JK. We just havent been able to list everything on the website!
Old 05-04-2011
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 126 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by double black offroad View Post
We sell pretty much everything for the JK. We just havent been able to list everything on the website!
I'll give you a ring thank's Bill.
Old 05-04-2011
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

As you can see the price difference is pretty significant and now that we all know that its possible wihout special tools and / or black magic it could be an attraction for some to DIY.

Of course even if your using another mechanic or genuine Jeep service why let them charge you $450 for a belt you can supply for $120 ?

There's also the information value - if your in the middle of nowhere you can change a timing belt without Jeeps involvement - assuming your carying a spare.
Old 05-04-2011
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

mate did you have to take out the radiator and intercooler, or was there enough room to work without it? and was it thn just a case of removing a couple of pulleys and the timing cover , or was it more involved. i took a look under the bonnet and put it in the too hard basket, but obviously there is a way because you found it.
Old 05-04-2011
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

The radiator and intercooler etc etc all stay in place - you don't disturb any of the engines "sytems" or loose any oil / coolant

The washer bottle, electrical,and mechanical fans, the fan shroud, airbox, "fan belt" and harmonic damper need to come off to give you access to the two piece plastic timing cover.

YOu need to unplug the air mass sensor and temperature sensor on the airbox, the washer bottle pump and the electric fan ( which is buried in the shroud )

Once the shroud and fans are off there's actually heaps of space ( about the same as the standard petrol engined installation ) to work.

A mirror on a stick is usefull for viewing the alignment of the common rail high pressure pump and crank timing marks without too much head twisting - but not essential. I didn't use one, but would have if it was handy.