XJ Mods VSB 14 - Page 10 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-05-2016
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbrown64 View Post

Clearly an American drawing....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 18-05-2016
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Ha, i did a search of my previous search... and found the thread where i found the drawing. So credit goes to you JJ on the idea.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...t=63103&page=3
Why the steering brace on the left side?
Cheers,
Old 18-05-2016
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbrown64 View Post
Why the steering brace on the left side?
Cheers,
That'd be the one....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 19-05-2016
AJOR Gold

Spent a few hours stitching on a new steering wheel cover. Got it custom made from Mr Steering on Fleabay. Black with red stitching to match the custom floor mats i got from a mob in Perth who make them.
Few years ago, i also fitted the sunroof (Autoport 1735) and modified the roof console to suit.
I also managed to fit in a double din stereo with reversing camera and gps, which was a mission but worked out well.

Cheers,

Last edited by alexbrown64; 22-03-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 24-05-2016
AJOR Gold

Finally got around to wiring up the Yellow Box Speedo re calibrator. Jumped under the car with some solder, heat shrink etc.. and 5 minute job. Only 3 wires come off the 95 XJ speed sensor.

These are orange, orange/white and black/light blue.
1. Splice in the red wire from the Yellow Box to the orange speed sensor wire (this gives power to yellow box).
2. Splice in the black wire from the Yellow Box to the black/blue speed sensor wire (earth for yellow box).
3. The orange/white wire from the speed sensor is cut in half. The orange/white half from speed sensor splices to yellow wire of Yellow box (this takes input from speed sensor and sends it to Yellow Box for adjustment.)
4. Then finally splice green wire from Yellow box to the orange/white wire coming from speedo (this is the corrected output from Yellow box and will go to your speedo.)

I turned on ignition and all systems were go. Just need to adjust Yellow Box. See previous posts on how that is done. Took about a minute using the + button on the Yellow Box.

I downloaded DigiHud, which is a great free gps speedo for your phone. Then i set the phone up on the dash and went for a test spin. First time out and no more adjustment necessary. XJ speedo was exactly the same as phone gps through all speeds.

I can now swap tyres etc, and adjust my speedo in cab with dead accuracy in 1-2 minutes.

A big thumbs up for the Yellow Box V5 and highly recommended.
Cheers,
Old 25-05-2016
AJOR Gold

Found a used Brown Davis long range tank a while ago, which i cleaned up ready for installation.
Today was the day, so got the tools out and got stuck in.
The XJ had the tank bash plate on, so that came off first which was awkward as i had 3 airlines running through a hole in it. Two from my compressor to the lockers and one from my tyre carrier to the airbag suspension. Got all that out the way and it came out with 4 bolts.
Lots of hoses and bits and pieces to disconnect and then out came the tank.
Pic below shows the OEM tank against the Brown Davis. The pump/sender, hoses, breathers etc, all just swap straight over.

I thought getting the new tank in would be a quick job, but it ended up being a pain. It got jammed and on close inspection my bolts going through the frame rails for the airbag suspension were hitting the tank. Lots of mucking around later and tank just slipped into position.
All filler hoses, electrical cables, breathers, fuel lines connected up and the bolts used for the old bash plate re-fitted to hold the tank.
Brown Davis did a good job designing this tank as it all fits great and you don't need to change anything.
I still have to fit up the two bolts under the tailgate as i want to make a plate to spread the load, and also reconnect the compressor lines.

Will finish it off tomorrow, and then put some juice in and check it all out.
Instructions say to run it for a 1000 k's and then change out the fuel filter. My 95 has the filter near the tank up under the frame rail, so i will change that out down the track.

Cheers,

Last edited by alexbrown64; 22-03-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 26-05-2016
AJOR Gold

Finished off fitting the tank today. Put 20 liters in and the fuel gauge rose just over empty, with the fuel light still just on.
Started and run well with no leaks, no sloshing etc. Definitely notice the bigger size and looking forward to the extra range with 125 liters of petrol and 50 liters of lpg.

My winch and winch bracket arrived today, so looks like another project coming up.......
Cheers,

Last edited by alexbrown64; 22-03-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply