JK Leaking, won't move when into gear? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-02-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default JK Leaking, won't move when into gear?

Hey everyone,

Took my 2008 JK Wrangler Unlimited Sport out today off-roading in sand and some pretty tough bumps and hit one of the dunes pretty hard but kept pulling through until the car gave up on me and bogged me in a patch of soft sand. Car was leaking a thin red fluid from a hose underneath the engine under the car (No need to open the bonnet) and suspected it was something to do with the transmission due to when i was driving the car was kicking off when accelerating.

I had my foot slightly on the pedal and it would delay and then kick with the revs and accelerate late (sleeper zone i believe they call it), i managed to unbog the car then drove for a good 20-30 metres with a shifty feel until the car wouldn't move even though i was in gear and accelerating it would just rev but not move?!

I checked underneath and it was only the one thin hose leaking heavily with RED THIN fluid which was see through and smelt pretty strong, i believe it's something to do with the transmission fluid? I had to get a tow truck out and will be taking it to the mechanic ASAP but wanted to get this post out and see everyones thoughts and maybe could fix it myself to save money on something that looks simply but is a big deal

Cheers
Old 13-02-2018
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I assume it's auto, red fluid is trans oil, leak will be the hose to the cooler up the front. I would be inclined to replace the hose and refill the trans fluid up before going to a mechanic. If you are lucky no permanent damage has been done the auto.
Old 13-02-2018
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoasco View Post
I assume it's auto, red fluid is trans oil, leak will be the hose to the cooler up the front. I would be inclined to replace the hose and refill the trans fluid up before going to a mechanic. If you are lucky no permanent damage has been done the auto.
Assumed right, would it be an easy fix to do yourself?
Old 13-02-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Check the link below to see what the parts look like. You will need to confirm if it is the supply or return hose leaking, possibly the cooler is damaged and the fluid is just running down the hose. It may just be a loose connection. Should be easy enough to do.

https://www.quadratec.com/parts/jeep...-cooling-parts
Old 13-02-2018
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoasco View Post
Check the link below to see what the parts look like. You will need to confirm if it is the supply or return hose leaking, possibly the cooler is damaged and the fluid is just running down the hose. It may just be a loose connection. Should be easy enough to do.

https://www.quadratec.com/parts/jeep...-cooling-parts
From further inspection i believe it's the Tube and Hose, Supply and Return (Picture label 1 on the website you linked me) i have posted pictures, let me know of your opinion

Cheers
Old 14-02-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hard to say with out any obvious damage. Unwrap some of the spiral guard and you may be able to see if the hose has a hole. Also check those fittings are tight.

If you can't locate the leak, you need to recreate it. Maybe refill the box and run it momentarily. I don't know enough about autos to say what the proper process is though. I assume the torque convertor is going to be empty if all the fluid has been pumped out. Maybe someone can give some input here?
Old 14-02-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 81 Posts

If the leak is bad enough, don't chance driving it, even after refilling. Low transmission fluid can kill it pretty quickly. Those symptoms sound like low transmission fluid - it uses the transmission fluid to lubricate and cool and the fluid pressure to shift gears.

I doubt that it is but it might be dripping down onto the crossmember above the pipe. Once it's dry, look for oily residue or areas that still look wet from the oil.

My money is the pipe having a split at that join in the picture (probably a barb join). It should be pretty easy to replace the pipe yourself and just in case the oil has become contaminated, I think a complete transmission oil and filter change might be a good idea. It is a little messy of a driveway job but it could save you lots of $.