High milage TH reliability? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KL Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default High milage TH reliability?

Hi all - considering buying a 2nd hand KL Trailhawk. Aware it's best to buy a post-May 2015 build due to transmission issues fixed from that build onward (mostly due to this excellent forum).

But I'm also wondering what the thinking is on reliability of TH models with more than 100,000km on the clock. Are there any issues starting to show as these cars age or things to look out for?

Thanks - Ed
Old 13-08-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

If you're not already doing it, have a good trawl thru US forums and ask on them as well. Americans are happy to chat to anyone about anything - not quite same here.

On our Oct 2014 KL Trailhawk with just under 25500km on it we're about to have the PTU replaced (sadface)

Luckily FCA are coming to the party to a fair degree by supplying the $3000 PTU itself but we're up for labour - which is quoted at 7 hours.

Ive seen Chrysler bulletins where they list PTU replacement at 2.8 hrs, underbelly stone shield removal / installation at 0.5 hrs and programming at 0.4 hrs but obviously that's skilled workshops..

These things seem very good to work on - so once parts prices are reasonable, keeping them going is looking to not be too bad to do even with major part replacements - with the most difficult thing being software stuff. If the govt does what they promise and eliminate the proprietary manufacturer lockup on that side of things then that will get a lot easier too.

From what I can make out our failure is electronic within the unit, not mechanical - so I think we might have been able argue for full repair even tho it's out of warranty, but I was so grateful they were co-operating with the part that I just grabbed what was offered...

Last edited by Trailfirst; 11-05-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Old 13-08-2018
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Trailfirst, thanks for your reply and sorry to hear about the PTU problems. I actually spent a good chunk of Sunday chilling on the couch and reading US forums - you’re right, there is a lot of good stuff there. Seems to be a general consensus KL’s are pretty good over the medium term, with a number now getting over 100,000mi/160,000km and still going strong. Some limited complaints of electrical gremlins rearing their heads over 80,000mi but only a handful around saying that.

Would be great to hear of anyone with experience in Aussie conditions with high mileage too if they’re out there.

Cheers!
Old 13-08-2018

Liked 151 Times in 92 Posts

Hi Ed,

I have a 2014 build MY2015 that’s closing in on 70,000km. We look after it, but we don’t baby it either. It’s a daily driver, has done outback dirt, beach work, ‘general’ off road, tows the camper trailer, etc. Overall it’s been a pretty solid vehicle and never had a major issue or let me down, but it has had higher number of minor issues than I’d have hoped (one of which turned into a particular PITA because the dealer workshops in my area are all basically incompetent). Those are all sorted now and it’s ‘easier’ to own now than when it was new...

The 3.2 engine seems to be very well sorted out - can’t even remember hearing/reading of anyone with an engine issue.

I don’t always love the shift timing/quality of the 9 speed - though I think they’ve improved that on later models. The occasional shift can be a bit rough, which does make me wonder about the long term durability - but that may be more paranoia than anything - it’s certainly never given me any real signs I should worry about the transmission - touch wood!

I have heard of a few issues with the Rear drive module (rear diff) - but not so much as to make me think there’s a fundamental issue there.

I think the main thing to bear in mind is that the drivetrain is a bit more complex than in the average SUV (that’s where the capability comes from), and complexity does mean more bits that could go wrong as mileage increases.

One of the benefits now they’ve been around for a few years is that aftermarket and second hand parts are beginning to become more readily available, so at least you’re not going to be at the mercy of dealership pricing and parts (un)availability as a couple of years back.

Otherwise, the actual build and finish quality is generally very good and holding up well.

I guess to summarise - if I were buying used I wouldn’t go in to it expecting issues... but it’s also not a simple Japanese hatchback - I’d make sure I was prepared to deal with (ie pay for) any necessary repairs that might pop up, just in case.

For us, the bottom line is, if you want a small-medium SUV that’s up for pretty much anything you can throw at it, there’s not a lot of options out there - most small/midsize SUV’s are virtually useless if you point them at a sand dune, or mud, or hitch anything more than a box trailer to them. The Trailhawk isn’t the best at any one thing, but for it’s size, I genuinely don’t think anything else comes close as an all-rounder.

Last edited by lujabe; 13-08-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 14-08-2018
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi lujabe - thanks. My thinking is along similar lines, we have a small garage with a low clearance so can't practically own a full-size 4x4 but also don't want to be driving a tank around town daily. But when we go away for the weekend we often need more capability than a Subaru Forester, for example, can offer.

Yours and other cases on US forums seem to point to pretty good higher mileage reliability. The V6 has a good rep - mostly the other drivetrain parts that are of concern I think. But excellent to see yours is holding up well and not just being used to pick up the kids either!

Cheers, Ed
Old 15-08-2018
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailfirst View Post
On our Oct 2015 KL Trailhawk with just under 25500km on it we're about to have the PTU replaced (sadface)

Luckily FCA are coming to the party to a fair degree by supplying the $3000 PTU itself but we're up for labour - which is quoted at 7 hours.

Ive seen Chrysler bulletins where they list PTU replacement at 2.8 hrs, underbelly stone shield removal / installation at 0.5 hrs and programming at 0.4 hrs but obviously that's skilled workshops..

From what I can make out our failure is electronic within the unit, not mechanical - so I think we might have been able argue for full repair even tho it's out of warranty, but I was so grateful they were co-operating with the part that I just grabbed what was offered...
Why is this out of warranty and not covered.?

2015 KL Limited with all the goodies.
ex 06 KJ CRD Renegade, Lifted and GDE Tuned
Old 15-08-2018

Liked 151 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadKaw View Post
Why is this out of warranty and not covered.?
Yeah, have to admit I’d be going after them based on the protections that exist under consumer laws (if they won’t cover it under warranty). It’s a failure of the rear diff at 25,000kms. Warranty or not, that’s not good enough.
Post New Thread  Reply