Alternator gone, Any recommendations? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-07-2020
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Alternator gone, Any recommendations?

Hey guys,

Was running on the battery light for a few days, this morning battery was drained upon trying to start.

Had RAA come out and test battery and alternator and no charge coming from the alternator.

Any brand recommendations or does anyone have a spare to sell in Adelaide?

Thanks
Old 26-07-2020
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieds83 View Post
Hey guys,

Was running on the battery light for a few days, this morning battery was drained upon trying to start.

Had RAA come out and test battery and alternator and no charge coming from the alternator.

Any brand recommendations or does anyone have a spare to sell in Adelaide?

Thanks
If it's for a diesel get it from rockauto or look in the USA search eBay
My one went back in 2013 due to oil leak from oil cap not tightened correctly

The auto electrician I took it to said genuine was $1700 could get me a generic for $1000

I ended up getting a genuine valeo unit from the states for $260 admittedly dollar was a lot stronger then

post prices quoted here in Aussie I'd be curious if the prices have become more realistic been seeing their adds on TV lately

Sent from my T10 using Tapatalk
Old 26-07-2020
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Try Baxters
https://www.baxters.com.au/alternato...cedes-clk.html
Look at the "Cross References" and you get all the part numbers its sold as.

eBay/SparesBox
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Valeo-Al....c100005.m1851
https://www.sparesbox.com.au/part/va...2v-180a-439546

NOTE Its a 7 Grooved Pulley not an 8
Old 27-07-2020
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 832 Times in 467 Posts

Just do not get a Auto 8 ,Chinese and appear to come with chinese built in problems !
Old 27-07-2020
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Valeo

Ok, so i have a Valeo alternator coming today along with new set of glow plugs and drive belt.

Upon further inspection, it looks as though an oil leak may be to blame for the alternator. There is oil around the front of the engine, also under the turbo inlet.

I want to get on top of all of it so i have less issues in the future...

Any ideas on the leaks? Its a mechanical jungle in there��
Old 27-07-2020
CrawlerStar

Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieds83 View Post
Ok, so i have a Valeo alternator coming today along with new set of glow plugs and drive belt.

Upon further inspection, it looks as though an oil leak may be to blame for the alternator. There is oil around the front of the engine, also under the turbo inlet.

I want to get on top of all of it so i have less issues in the future...

Any ideas on the leaks? Its a mechanical jungle in there[emoji23]
Sounds like the same problem as mine all those years ago

The oil cap was the culprit they need to be put on very tightly if I remember correctly the slightest not locked in place and they pump oil everywhere the cam chain wheel is directly below the opening

The ML,s with this engine they have a rubber catch device that directs the oil away from the alternator the jeep answer was to fit a plastic cover to the alternator once you learn this mistake it becomes second nature checking the oil cap

Just degrease the engine make sure no water gets into the valley and check the cap expensive lesson not that it will make you feel better you aren't the first and probably not the last

Sent from my T10 using Tapatalk
Old 27-07-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 121 Times in 86 Posts

Are you chaning the alternator yourself? Its a horrible job.

I bought a recond alt from a place just around the corner from me for $300 with 12m warranty earlier this year. Very lucky I thought as I needed one desperately. Otherwsie I would have bought a Bosch or Valeo one from a auto parts store as they weren't that expensive either. Last resort was RockAuto/internet somewhere but would've had to wait for shipping.

Oil leaks from the front of the turbo are extremely common on the CRD. Its blowby oil coming from the CCV valve. Heaps of info on this and how to get around it. Best bet is to fit a oil catch can. The oil leaks out of there and down on the swirl motor under the turbo and eventually kills it, again plenty of info on this and how to turn off/disable the swirl motor as its not needed for running the engine, by now given the age of these vehicles you might find that the swirl motor has already been disabled by someone installing a restistor to the plug (the other way to disable is via a ECU tune).
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121119

Last edited by Turismo07; 27-07-2020 at 11:40 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply