Death wobbling piece of s#$t - Page 6 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-08-2009
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPCHIK View Post
I have to say I'm starting to feakout a little at the thought of having serious DW I had DW is my TJ for a short time which disappeared after I fitted 31's.I don't know if this would fix the problem with JK's though.

One of the first things I noticed after driving my JK for a week or so was that the front end feels alot lighter and looser than the stock TJ.I have also noticed that when driving over particular uneven surfaces/bumps it feels like the front end is about to take off into DW's but doesn't.Has anyone else noticed that

J.. I sure hope you find a solution for your DW's soon.Good luck
You may be experiencing "Bump-steer" which can indicate incorrect castor angle.
Old 03-08-2009
ShortBlack
Visitor

I think you'll find Bump Steer is a bit different not caused by Castor but due to the Pan Hard Rod not being Exactly parallel to the Drag Link, That shouldn't be a problem with a Stocker.

I have heard that Jeep are aware there is to little Castor in brand new cars but you can always get adjustable Control Arms.

I wonder if it IS due to the Front Axel and Front Drive Shaft being driven all the time? i have Free Wheeling Hubs installed so maybe i'll never experience DW.
Hope Not
Old 03-08-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK, I don't know if this is DW or a different problem, but while driving the M1 freeway whenever the car hit a bad bump or pothole the entire vehicle begins to shake violently. It becomes almost unsteerable and starts to slow down. The violent shaking only stops when I come to a complete standstill, after I move off again it disappears like it never happened. The last time it happened it occured 3 times in 3 hours and the ESP light came on before I could pull over. My car is completely stock, no mods of any kind not even B10 biodiesel.

Any help or advice would be welcome as I'm about to head on a long trip.
Old 03-08-2009
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malexander View Post
OK, I don't know if this is DW or a different problem, but while driving the M1 freeway whenever the car hit a bad bump or pothole the entire vehicle begins to shake violently. It becomes almost unsteerable and starts to slow down. The violent shaking only stops when I come to a complete standstill, after I move off again it disappears like it never happened. The last time it happened it occured 3 times in 3 hours and the ESP light came on before I could pull over. My car is completely stock, no mods of any kind not even B10 biodiesel.

Any help or advice would be welcome as I'm about to head on a long trip.

Yep, sound like DW's..........
Something wrong there for a stock vehicle.

Let the dealer know a.s.a.p.
Seems like it's a growing problem with the JK..
Old 03-08-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's the DW issue!

However, we shouldn't blow this out of proportion. It is always a bit of an issue on Live Axle Vehicles, not exclusively Jeeps.

I had a GQ and it had some bad Death Wobbles from time to time.

My mate had an 80 Series and it suffered from DW.

Another mate had a Brand New GU and, again, DW.

It's not 'a jeep thing'.
Old 03-08-2009
Head Honcho

Liked 1,177 Times in 710 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieMav View Post
That's the DW issue!

However, we shouldn't blow this out of proportion. It is always a bit of an issue on Live Axle Vehicles, not exclusively Jeeps.

I had a GQ and it had some bad Death Wobbles from time to time.

My mate had an 80 Series and it suffered from DW.

Another mate had a Brand New GU and, again, DW.

It's not 'a jeep thing'.
This is fair yes, but for it to be happening straight off the shelf so to speak is not good. Let alone to a stock vehicle. Whenever I have had it in LAV's its been when you run bigger wheels and coils.

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Old 03-08-2009
Head Honcho

Liked 1,177 Times in 710 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Ball Joints and Hub Bearings
Worn ball joints or kingpin bushings or hub/unitbearings are a big cause of death wobble. Jack up the vehicle and grab the top and bottom of the tire and see if there is any lateral play in the ball joints or wheel bearings. TAG Motorsports in Escondido, California, has noticed a rash of prematurely-worn JK lower ball joints, but it can happen on any axle. If you've got an axle with serviceable wheel bearings, you can adjust the bearing preload. Unitbearings will need replacement since they're not adjustable.

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Post New Thread  Reply