Are jeeps really that bad? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Sticky's - New members please stop by
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-03-2018
I just registered

Liked 53 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I haven't owned a Pajero but I've had a 40 series Landcruiser, GQ Patrol 4.2 petrol, GU Patrol 2.8TD, 105 Series GXL Landcruiser, 2010 60th anniversary 200 Series V8TD with the ARB catalogue of bits including lockers front & rear which was the least reliable vehicle and had a heap of issues from breaking CVs (left hand front is a weakness with KDSS suspension) to constant electrical problems with ABS sensors and the centre diff lock not working on so many occasions as with constantly having to drain or replace the fuel filter I sold it before I had the injector issue at just over 100,000klms and bought a 2014 JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. I don't get the JK serviced by a Jeep dealer as I had issues with the dealer I purchased it off after a few services (they didn't service it basically) so I have it serviced at a vendor on this forum and it has been the most reliable and capable four wheel drive I have ever had (over 80,000klms so far). Yes I have modified it with a lift etc. but it is on another level of capability compared to Patrols and Cruisers. The next best vehicle was the 105 series Cruiser. I would not buy another Landcruiser or Toyota for that matter but I will definitely buy another Wrangler Rubicon.

Last edited by V82xist; 30-03-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-04-2018
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 52 Times in 26 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Took a JGC for a test drive the other day, I could be tempted......

Comparing the different models (Limited, Trailhawk & Overland) and the Overland has a sunroof which for me is a deal breaker. The Trailhawk really doesn't get all that much more for the extra dollars. Seats are more comfortable but I'm not a fan of the air suspension. So that leaves the Limited. I can fit underbody protection, some nice red recovery hooks and still have change in my pocket.
Old 04-04-2018
AJOR Bronze

Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

A Current Affair has a lot to do with Jeep's bad reputation. They ran a couple of stories on some clowns that burnt or crushed their vehicles because they were lemons. I have no doubt they had issues with their particular vehicles but their actions weren't justified in my mind. It was all attention seeking for social media. Having said that, dealing with FCA can be a frustrating exercise.

The 2 biggest lemons I've owned were both Toyota Hiluxes. I'll never buy another Toyota in my life due to the issues I've had with them.

Also not helping are mags like 4WD Action that put shit on Jeeps. Most of the time they are only joking but people listen to them and respect their comments so they believe in what they say. The amount of people that try can convince me that Jeeps are shit without ever owning one is unbelievable (mainly Nissan owners, which is one brand I have not and will never own).

I was in a 4WD accessory store in Newcastle one day while that Brenno from 4WD Action was there. They saw me pull up as I walked in the staff asked him if he would ever consider a Jeep. He mumbled that he'd never own one and when I question him about it had no intelligent response to what was supposedly wrong with them. He just turned out to be a real goose and I went elsewhere to purchase what I came for.

I've owned 2 Wranglers now. My TJ had over 200,000 kms on it when I sold it with only a rusted out radiator in all that time. My JK has around 65K kms without any issues and has towed a camper trailer all over the Eastern States.

I'll quite happily buy another when the JL ute is released here in a year or so.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 04-04-2018
I just registered

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Ive now owned 40 cars in my short life and the 4 jeeps I've had have never had an issue. I bought a new MY17 Laredo,optioned off road adventure 2 pack which basically made it trailhawk spec, optioned full leather and sunroof all up was 60k. So far Im loving it (3.0L V6 Diesel)
Old 04-04-2018

Liked 151 Times in 92 Posts

The way I see it, Toyotas are the “McDonald’s Quarter Pounder Meal Deal” of cars. It’ll look and taste just like you expect it to, and be somehow soggy and stale - both at the same time.

Jeeps are more like a Burrito. Some of the filling might fall out and land in your lap, but for some, it’s worth it for the flavour.

Last edited by lujabe; 04-04-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-04-2018
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Jeeps are like dogs.. you have to show them who's boss, then they will be your best friend. I was a little afraid of my Jeep at one stage, and it bit me a few times.
I then figured out that a $20 blue tooth obd2 connector can literally save you. You can read codes and wipe them, trouble shoot and find out all sorts of info about your Jeep.

Limp mode? Not a problem, just reset and drive..

What about the scary cost of spares at the stealership. Go to Rockauto, search for the parts you want... sensors, tune up parts..etc.. and get them sent for a tenth of the cost.

Then just enjoy the ride. You get a Jeep for any occasion.. rock climbing, towing, adventure..., good value for money and very capable.

Cheers,
Old 04-04-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 52 Times in 26 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Well looks like I'm going to be spending a lot more time on here. Just paid a deposit on a Limited in True Blue.

With all the standard features now in the MY18, it was really good value for money. Now, start pointing me in the direction of good accessory shops for Jeeps.
Post New Thread  Reply