Jeep Wrangler JK - 40 Something - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > PORTAL > AUSTRALIAN JEEP NEWS
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-09-2009
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,177 Times in 710 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Jeep Wrangler JK - 40 Something

Remember Low40? Running 40-inch tires with no lift and lots of trimming, 40-Something runs big, 14/42-17LT Interco Irok bias-ply tires along with 3.5-inch coils from Currie Enterprises.

After spending a week in Moab with the innovative people from Burnsville Off-Road, we had to bring you some of the vehicles we 'wheeled with that week. You've already seen a few of them in the magazine, and there will be a few more featured soon. The flagship of all the Burnsville Off-Road vehicles at Moab this year had to be 40-Something, Dan McKeag's Viper Snakeskin Green 2007 JK Wrangler. It's named 40-Something because of its 42-inch Irok tires and because Dan thought it was a good counterpoint to the other flagship vehicle they built for Mopar Underground, the Lower-40 JK roadster.

Currie was also tapped for a pair of its excellent RockJock 60 front and rearends. The beefy RockJocks were needed not only for the 42-inch Iroks, but to handle the power of a Mopar 392 Hemi V-8 crate engine. A Mopar 5-45RFE multi-speed automatic transmission was installed behind the 392. An Advance Adapters Atlas two-speed transfer case is bolted behind the tranny and affords a super low 5.0:1 low range.

The parts used to build 40-Something are impressive and the bodywork on this JK is, too. The roll cage is a custom design and the steel flat fenders are completely hand built. The custom work allowed the rearend to be moved back 4 inches, using Currie front lower control arms in back with a single torque arm for the upper rear arm. An AEV hood keeps underhood temperatures down and, as we already mentioned, the JK was painted Viper Snakeskin Green.

The Currie RockJock 60 rearend has 5.38 gears and an Eaton Detroit Locker. The RockJock comes with a track bar bracket that allows easy adjustment and mounting for the track bar. On a lifted JK, the higher the track bar can be mounted above the axle the better. Bilstein gas shock absorbers provide firm, but supple control. The rearend was moved back to stretch the wheelbase of the two-door JK 4 inches. Currie front lower control arms were used as rear lower control arms. Burnsville fabricated a single upper torque arm.

A Currie RockJock 60 high pinion frontend is loaded with 5.38 gears and an Eaton Detroit Locker. The Currie RockJock also has strong 1-ton knuckles and axles. A PSC ram-assist steering system makes turning the 42-inch Iroks easy. The Currie Antirock swaybars provide control both on- and off-road with no dials to turn, buttons to push, or links to disconnect.

These 14/42-17LT Interco Irok bias ply tires were mounted on 17x8.5 Pro Comp 1028 alloy wheels. The Pro Comps are faux beadlocks, so Burnsville installed Staun internal beadlocks to keep the big meats on the wheels.

The 40-Something's steel fenders are a work of art. Completely custom and built from scratch by Burnsville's Wes Feringa, they are flawless, strong, and provide plenty of protection.

A Warn 9.0Rc rock crawling winch fits snugly between the frame rails in a custom Burnsville front bumper. Burnsville Off-Road has been putting Hemi V-8s in JK Wranglers since the JK's introduction. The 40-Something sports a brand new 392 Hemi crate motor.

With Burnsville's harness, aluminum radiator, motor mounts, and other JK Hemi swap parts, the 392 looks as if it came from the factory this way. It works much better than it came from the factory, though. An Optima Yellow Top battery provides 12V power and a K&N filter cleans incoming air. Remote tranny and oil coolers always work better than the internal radiator coolers do. Dan likes to use the internal radiator tranny cooler as a power steering cooler.

SPECIFICATIONS

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Jeep JK Wrangler
Engine: Mopar 392 Hemi V-8
Transmission: Mopar 5-45RFE
Transfer case/low range ratio: Atlas/5.0:1
Front end: Currie RockJock high-pinion 60
Rear end: Currie RockJock high-pinion 60
Ring and Pinion: 5.38:1
Suspension: Modified 3.5-inch Currie Enterprises 5-link front/4-link rear
Tires: 14/42-17LT Interco Irok bias ply
Wheels/Backspacing: 17x8.5 Pro Comp 1028 alloy/4.75 inches

www.4wdandsportutility.com

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Old 02-09-2009
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thats amazing.. would be so good to rock one of those over here in Aus
Old 02-09-2009
Senior Newbie

I WANT ONE, anyone giving away free money
Old 02-09-2009
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know the hemi is cool and all but that with the 3ltr or bigger CRD would be a beautiful thing.... either way, if only!

PS. radioactive green wouldn't be my top choice, wouldn't care if I had such a beast though
Old 02-09-2009
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acuriouskind View Post
I know the hemi is cool and all but that with the 3ltr or bigger CRD would be a beautiful thing.... either way, if only!

PS. radioactive green wouldn't be my top choice, wouldn't care if I had such a beast though
you would want A jeep CRD motor over the hemi? im amazed,
Old 02-09-2009
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronsjeep View Post
you would want A jeep CRD motor over the hemi? im amazed,
To explain I had a 300C 3ltr CRD last week and was amazed by (now longing for) the torquey goodness of the a Merc engine and it's forgiving nature on fuel consumption when sporting a heavy right foot... Don't get me wrong though SRT8 hemi luv all the way for the 300C/Desert runner/car/anything thats to go very fast, but for a fourby give me a turbo diesel - make that a big one!!

cheers,
B.

Last edited by Bandit; 02-09-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-09-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acuriouskind View Post
To explain I had a 300C 3ltr CRD last week and was amazed by (now longing for) the torquey goodness of the a Merc engine and it's forgiving nature on fuel consumption when sporting a heavy right foot... Don't get me wrong though SRT8 hemi luv all the way for the 300C/Desert runner/car/anything thats to go very fast, but for a fourby give me a turbo diesel - make that a big one!!

cheers,
B.

x2
can't see the excitement of a big V8 petrol when most the fun stuff is done at walking pace or in water where the petrol motor if not well prepared could let you down.