What did you do to your XJ today? 1M Views - Page 52 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-12-2007
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bought stuff ready for my Xmas trip to Qld. Oil (Penrite HPR30), Redline Wetter Water (will post impressions), Tranny service kit & tranny oil, Oil adaptor o-rings, oil filter & T60 socket. Now I need time to do it. Oh yes and waiting on my new scanguage2 from Wooders. Boys at Auto1 store said to get rid of all glycol coolant before using the redline as it works much better - just dont go in the snow with no antifreeze. Havent checked Qld weather so hope there is no snow on Moreton Island in a weeks time.
Old 14-12-2007
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dropped it off for the A/C to be looked at .... again

worst part ... driving an Xtrail while both Jeeps are off road
Old 14-12-2007
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all Was going to get an ARB compressor but mate pointed out that the 4wdbiz mob now have the typhoon for $165 so ordered that instead and bought a set of Narva Ultimate 175's with the difference . Had to remove the mounting bracket legs to fit them in the stock bumper holes tho, i may have to make some spacers to sit above that grill lip if they start to get loose.
Old 14-12-2007
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Had to buy a stock tyre so I could so I can start getting ready for the pits.

One 225/75x15 Goodyear ATR $225 it would almost have been cheaper to put 4 31" on....lol
Lucky I had 3 good ones
Old 15-12-2007
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default more work

Hi all,
Today I did all my brakes on my XJ. Machined ths front rotors plus the rear drums and fitted new shoes and pads. The pads are Bendix titanium 4x4's and they are ment to be good in the water and disperse dust. We will see how they go I guess. I ordered a fuel pump from Fuelpumps.com in America and fitted it and Iam impressed will the pumps performance as it is the higher volume one that they recommend for the xj. 255litres per hour is its rate and it is a little bigger than the stock unit which was the original one from the factory by the date codes on the pump. Not to bad as the xj is a 1/94 build.
Changed the engine oil and filter and went to the bigger filter in the fleet gauard brand as I will only run good brand name filters if possible.
Flushed the trans fluid and fitted a new davis graig oil cooler and threw the old one away to come back as a chines stationery engine.
A diff rebuild is next.
BEN
Old 16-12-2007
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

I just noticed that one axle seal on the front has started to leak. It must be only two years since I installed new ones that come with the install kit I got with my new gears. Now this week before I leave for holidays I will have to pull both axles and hubs, brakes etc and pull the front differential right out just to change them. I will order some Jeep ones this time as the first set lasted me 10 years. Not worth the risk trying another after market one and will replace both sides just to make sure.
Always happens the week before I leave on holidays. Only noticed it because of one of my tyre monitor sensors went nuts and was telling me I have a tyre temperature from -51*F then jump to 226*F! At least I got that changed today by jacking up another wheel and lowering it down on the other tyre to break the bed.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 16-12-2007
Full Flexer

Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Default Fitted Snorkel

I fitted an Airflow snorkel to my XJ today.

The instructions that come with it are at best very average, but refer to Gojeep's site and it is more informative.

However, for the dummies out there (i am one of them) there were a few little lessons that are not mentioned on either instructions or Gojeep's site.

Marcus no offense - but you did not say read the instructions and follow them. They say 8mm holes for the 3 mounting screws which are only 5.6mm, so i drilled 6mm holes, this does not give you enough room to move slightly when trying to get the donkey dick hose on. Attaching the hose i thought was going to be the easiest part was infact the most frustrating.

The template did not fit, the 2 lines for the fold in the guard lined up better than using the line for the top edge of the guard. I arrived at this decision by measuring down from a spirit level to the top of the marked circle for the 80mm hole inside and out, and for it to come through inside where it is designed to it was better to line up the 2 lines relating to the fold in the guard.

I also had dramas drilling the hole, firstly, i could not buy an 80mm hole saw, could get 79mm or 83mm tried several tool suppliers all the same, finished up with the 83 as if figured it would give me some room to move and only 1.5mm each side would not be seen. I was tempted to buy the 79mm and use the rotary tool to grind out the 1mm, luckily i did not, as i had enough trouble getting the donkey dick hose through the 83mm hole. As can be seen in Snorkel2.jpg once through the guard and into the inner guard, due to the shape in there i reached the limit of the hole saw, had to get the tin snips out and cut off the section that twisted, then continue with the hole saw right through. This was the part i was least looking forward to, yet it went fairly easily, see Snorkel3.jpg hole before it was cleaned up with the file.

Cutting a piece of plastic to cover the hole in the air box was very easy, the hole in the back of the air box i used a 64mm hole saw and used the rotary tool to take the extra 1mm needed this has to be accurate as it is very close to the curved section of the base and the side, just fits.

Very happy with the finished result, one of the very valuable tips on Gojeep's site was to use masking tape along the guard and the snorkel prior to putting the sickaflex bead along the top edge see snorkel 5 in the next item only allowed 4 pics per post, but it almost looks professional, normally when i use silicon it is everywhere and the cleanup takes forever and is very messy, this time it was a piece of cake.

Still with my lack of thinking ahead, i did have to take the snorkel off and put it back on 3 times, character building started after lunch and finished just before dinner so it took me 5 hours when i thought about 2-3hours, which is all it would take if you knew what you were doing. Still it felt great to do it myself with help from the better half when 2 hands were just not enough.

Last edited by xjrob; 12-08-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply