Simpson desert Crossing in a JKU - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2014
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Default Simpson desert Crossing in a JKU

Thought I’d share a few details of my recent Simpson Desert crossing, 16 days 7300kms, and only two real issues.

The three vehicles and its actually a 6x6 cruiser not a lazy axle, it went well.

Started in Melbourne a decent drive to Broken Hill for the first night stop. Next off heading for Birdsville via Strzelecki desert through Tibooburra, Haddon's corner, Cameron's corner, bush camping for a night, then Innamincka and Birdsville. A good night at the Birdsville pub.

Innamincka

I got the first puncture at Haddon's corner, but it was the only one I had very happy with the MT 4 Rib ATZ.

From Birdsville off to big red, a bit of fun was had, the Jeep made it to the top first go but there was a 50cm wall of sand which had to be broken down. Hit the wall a few times to break it down and make it better to get over, I guess I got impatient as I got stuck on the top when I went for it. Yes I had to get one of the cruisers to work around to the other side and gently pull me over the lip. The consolation is he couldn't get up the same way I did in the jeep.

From big red west on QAA line and onto Hay River track heading for the Madigan line after a quick side bar to Peopells corner. Bush camping for the crossing, we made good time as it was 40C and the flies were unbelievable so we didn't spend a lot of time out of the cars until last light.

By the records in the visitor’s books we were the first across this track since OCT 13 and tracks a loose term as there was lots of following the compass until we found the track again. This is not the most used track so finding the track is challenging at times but fun.

We stopped at several of the campsites used by Madigan and then headed for Alice. In was nice to stay in a hotel for a couple of nights before we headed off to the west McDonald ranges for Stanley chasm, Ormiston gorge, kings canyon, Uluru and the Olgas.

Unfortunately this is where I started to have some issues with the JK, battery had been going fine no indications of a problem, camped at Ormiston gorge and the Jk wouldn't start the next day.

Hooked up the jump pack, 14.7 at the leads the car wouldn't record any more than 11 volts at the battery. It turned over but just wouldn't start. We had a diagnostic with us but couldn’t get any change so unfortunately towed back to Alice (not cheap but I had RACQ ultimate care so a little better).

Sad day having to get towed but all the cars had some issues

Very lucky to get a D31A battery in Alice but I found one, JK still wouldn't start, no fuel, but no fault code, isolated to the high pressure pump for the common rail and took it to the dealer. Here’s the kicker the dealer in Alice was great fixed the problem and didn't charge anything as he didn't need parts. I believe he manually powered the pump to test it and then reset it on their magic box.

Anyway back on the road and heading for Uluru, overnight at the campground not bad facilities. The next day we did Uluru and the Olgas, wish we could of had another day for the morning walks but the breakdown had delayed us a little. from Uluru we headed south for Oodnadatta and then to Coober Pedy, a night in an underground hotel was a bit unique, an interesting place to visit.

We then headed east through the painted desert to Marree, Leigh Creek, past lake Eyre and into the Flinders ranges before heading back to Broken hill for a stop before heading back to Melbourne.

Painted Desert

Waukaringa ruins

The second issue I had was the radiator expansion tank cracked and I lost pressure in the cooling system so things got a bit hot. After letting it cool a bit some 5 minute Araldite fixed the problem so a bleed of the system and back on the road.

All in all a great trip, if I had the choice I wouldn't go in summer just so I could enjoy the desert a bit more. its a truly wonderful part of this great land but you need to plan and make sure you have spares and enough fuel.

My CRD with an auxiliary tank still needed a jerry to get me to Alice, across the desert we had a reasonable run and covered 850km, on the highway I can get around 1100 - 1200 out of my two tanks so 148ltrs. on this trip I used approx. 170 ltrs for 850Km.

We packed quite light and still took lots of little things we didn't use so planning is important.

A lot of the desert section I did in 2WD and the sand was very firm and I was conscious of fuel usage.

and a WK2 Grand Cherokee Laredo

Last edited by gazzc; 04-04-2014 at 06:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-04-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 75 Times in 40 Posts

great write up and pics mate.

well done!!
Old 04-04-2014
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 307 Times in 169 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Wow, what an adventure - I'd love to do something like that but would probably need a trailer for the fuel I'd use in my TJ

Thanks for sharing
Old 04-04-2014
Established Member

Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts

Very nice mate sounds like a great trip! Defenetly on my bucket list
Old 04-04-2014
Established Member

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Must have been fantastic. I can only dream about something like this
Old 04-04-2014
Senior Newbie

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks for sharing, we'll be doing The Simpson Desert as well in late August this year.
Old 05-04-2014

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Awesome trip, great pics and thanks for sharing
Post New Thread  Reply