Getting rid of pet smell in car?! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-08-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Getting rid of pet smell in car?!

Hi all,

Just recently bought a 2nd hand JKU and love it! Previous owner however, had dogs and the smell in there is so strong! Anyone have any recommendations in sydney west for anyone that does interior detailing/cleaning? Will shampooing do or steam cleaning needs to be done? Please advise and thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2016
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

It depends how deep all of the filth has got, the wet dog smell, various juices that come off of dogs. If it's in the underlay the best bet will be to rip it out and toss it, burn it, choose your poison.
Old 01-08-2016
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 39 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Sounds funny but white vinegar works well for cat urine so maybe give that ago in a spray bottle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2016
AJOR Bronze

Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

If it's just a dog smell from having them in the car then buy a bottle of febreze and spray it liberally on your carpets and seats.

To keep your car smelling nice buy a packet of Fluffy Fabric Softener and leave it UNOPENED in a door pocket.

You might think this advice is strange but next time you are in Coles/Woollies pick up a packet of Fluffy and smell it. The smell permeates through the soft plastic packet.

This is much safer than using those clip on air freshners because if they fall off or leak on your plastics it will melt it.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 02-08-2016
AJOR Bronze

Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul wj jeep View Post
Sounds funny but white vinegar works well for cat urine so maybe give that ago in a spray bottle
If you ever have a cat urinate on your bonnet so it goes through the vents, White vinegar and lemon juice sprayed into them will neutralise the smell.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 02-08-2016
Jedi Master

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Googled some

Here are 9 ways to remove the dog smell from a car:
Shampoo for pet stain and urine removal will thoroughly clean up the source of the smells more than a regular car shampoo. If your dog had an accident in the car, this may be the route you’ll need to go. The enzymatic cleaners made for pet stains breaks down the chemical compounds of pet urine and removes the smells.
Place a small bowl of baking soda in the car overnight to absorb the smells. If the smell is very strong, repeat this a few nights in a row.
Laying bread out on a dish towel will also help absorb the smells. Afterwards, toss the old bread out for the birds to eat.
Charcoal briquets that are crumbled and laid out in the car will absorb smells.
Vodka and water in a spray bottle in equal parts acts as an air freshener. As the solution dries, the alcohol carries off the unwanted odors. Leave the windows open to allow it to dry. Let this completely dry, you don’t want to drive around with your car smelling like a bar!
White vinegar also acts as an odor remover. Mix it with water in equal parts and spray it in the car, when it dries the smells should be gone or at least not as a noticeable.
Carpet cleaner and a wet/dry vac can clean and remove the smells from the fabric of your car. Spray the seats, floorboards, and hatch. Then using a wet/dry vacuum suck it all up.
Steam cleaning the interior will remove the odors, dirt, and debris. Open all the windows when letting it dry out.
If you travel often with your pet, you may want to lay out an old blanket across the seats or dog covers that can be found in pet stores. They protect your interior and prevent odors, dirt, and fur from getting onto the car seats themselves. They are easy to remove and can be tossed into the washing machine.
Old 02-08-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thx for the replies guys! Ill be sure to try them out. think ill go with the steam clean first cause got a few stains too on the seats. Ill inform on how it goes cheers fellas!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Post New Thread  Reply