Safety Recall N23 for WH anyone had it done yet? - Page 114 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2015
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoea26 View Post
Thanks Clarky...they haven't come on since..I was working soft sand south of Indian Head as the tide was only 1.5 hrs on the ebb there's wasn't a lot of beach to play around with for about 10k but once it widened out I had a bit of hard stuff to work with which got better as the tide went out...there was probably a bit of sand built up on the inside of the wheels which would have been washed out going through some of the freshwater creeks....how do you check these wheel sensors?
They will through a code that indicates which one (or ones) that are faulty. The problem is these codes aren't HARD codes which means they go away after so many key cycles if they don't trip again, so you need to check codes as soon as possible once the fault occurs. I didn't have my code reader with me on holidays so when I got back home there were no related codes to be read.

A set of Mopar front sensors will set you back $160 delivered & rear for $120 on eBay.
Old 03-12-2015
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts

Thanks Clarky, I'll think about replacing them all as a bit of preventative maintenance.
Old 09-12-2015
CrawlerStar

Had my vehicle at the dealership yesterday, I have 4x4 low back again for how long I don't know, being a bit skeptical based on previous experience.

Anyway, wiTECH scan showed the FDCM had an active code C1438 transfer case diff clutch worn, and 4 stored codes:

C2109 Drivetrain Supply voltage Circuit Low

C1405 Transfer Case Range Position Sensor Circuit High

C1406 Transfer Case Brake Performance

C140F Transfer case Range Position Sensor Erratic Performance

It is thought that the active C1438 Transfer Case Differential Clutch Worn could be triggering the 4x4 low issue and activating the 4x4 service light.

As I understand it if the light comes on again they are suggesting that the transfer case will need replacing with either a new or reconditioned one.

From what I understand they are saying the FDCM is not causing the problem... as I have requested that it be replaced I need to take this up with customer service.

My thoughts are that if the stored code C140F indicated an Irratic Range Position Sensor, C1405 the Sensor Position Circuit High, the C2109 a low voltage drivetrain circuit that it would be questionable that the FDCM is causing these issues.

I'd be interested in any comments/advice.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-12-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 79 Times in 57 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I've always considered that the primary cause of the N23 issues was voltage fluctuations and tolerances set to fine....Wouldn't be surprised if the other codes were a result..Think Clarky did investigate this some time ago.

Last edited by Wanderer; 10-12-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-12-2015
Irok Bandit

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoea26 View Post
C140F indicated an Irratic Range Position Sensor.
This is the code that a faulty transfer case motor throws (incorrect voltage signal from T/C motor).
Combined with the other codes you have I would be looking for bad connections or bad earths before forking out on a new T/C. Make sure you have the 14.4volts at the battery when engine running.

Read this
http://www.justanswer.com/jeep/7n3n8...e-shifter.html

Last edited by Clarky; 09-12-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-12-2015
CrawlerStar

Thanks Clarky. According to the service report, they inspected the connection at the transfer case, all was OK. The stored fault codes were cleared, vehicle road tested, low range was selected multiple times and the fault codes did not return.

I certainly won't be forking out for a new transfer case I'll be getting second opinions and will have to be satisfied beyond any reasonable doubt the it needs to be replaced.

I'll check earth connections as suggested....the transfer case motor (actuator motor I take it you're referring to) was replaced when I had the first re-call performed so the one I have is new but certainly has issues by the look of it.
Old 09-12-2015
Irok Bandit

Check out my Ride(s)

Mine has been replaced too but I still get the C140F code.