Swirl motor fix and check engine light - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2022

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default Swirl motor fix and check engine light

Ok,
18 months ago she went into limp mode and I did the swirl motor bypass.
Having done that the check engine light has been on but not affecting anything that i can see. (Just towed a caravan from Melbourne through NSW to QLD as far as Maryborough and back with no drama's, except for the constant rain)

Now we have decided to sell her and it would be nice if there was no check engine light.
So,
is it normal for this to be displayed after the swirl fix ?
does the resistor have to go in a certain direction / way around ?

We want to upgrade to a 2013-2015 8 speed for towing and our hard off-roading days are behind us, and as such we would like a fair price that may be downgraded by the check engine light.

I am even contemplating letting the stealership put a new swirl motor in.

Here's a pic of her.
Cheers

Old 11-04-2022
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Pretty sure when the correct resistor goes in, there should be no engine light or code.
Did you clear all codes to remove engine light?
Perhaps the engine light is for something else now.

Can you do a scan and check for any codes? and then fix, clear them.

Hopefully Clarky reads this, as he has experience in this area.
I would not let the dealer near it. It could cost a fortune for nothing.

Cheers,
Old 12-04-2022

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks,
I'm pretty sure I did clear the codes but I will run it again.
Swirl motors (not from dealer) cost around $300 but they look like a bugger to get to.

I'll do a search later for how to reset the car computer, maybe it was done by microsoft and just needs a reboot
Old 12-04-2022
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 73 Times in 65 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

My WH has had the resistor mod for 12 months plus and no check engine light.
The swirl motor might be cheap enough but fitting at the stealers will be a lot because its a big job if the links are damaged etc.
Clear all the codes and fit the resistor you should be ok.

Last edited by 5oclock; 12-04-2022 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-04-2022

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks guys,
not sure how much egg I have on my face, but probably enough to feed the forums
I could have sworn I cleared the codes "sigh"
Old 13-04-2022
Established Member

Liked 76 Times in 51 Posts

Hi A2D.
Does this mean you have cleared the code and the your problem has gone?
I got an emulator from the 300c shop here in uk. Never had a problem since and it was a good few years ago. Incidentally, my code was P1270.

Bizarrely, i also had an under boost code too. I did wonder if this was a result of the jeep being in limp mode.
Old 13-04-2022

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Sadly my joy was short lived, but it's not the swirl motor fix.
Limp mode was caused by the swirl motor failure and the fix worked.

My check engine light which only comes on when the engine is cold and won't go away unless removed is caused by error code P2A00 (originally) but now replaced with

P2010
"Intake manifold runner
Control circuit high bank 1a"

I've just started reading up on what it means but one of the things it mentions is lack of engine performance.

We have this, she no longer takes off like a startled cat and sometimes when towing is reluctant to kick down even though the trans has been serviced by a company that's well respected in my area.

**** just read cannabat's post from dec 2020 and it shows P2010 as swirl motor problem.............. my brain hurts******

Last edited by Amused2Death; 13-04-2022 at 05:08 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply