Anyone in Melbourne have a 2.7 CRD Fuel Pressure Reg? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-10-2023
Back again

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 59 Times in 50 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Anyone in Melbourne have a 2.7 CRD Fuel Pressure Reg?

Hi,

After a little trouble with my transfer case switch causing some interesting symptoms, I now seem to be having fuel rail pressure problems.

Car won't always start. Watching the fuel rail pressure, it sometimes stays very low when cranking and the engine won't start. Get out, smack the fuel regulator with something hard, and away she goes.

Sure, could be the HP pump, but smacking the reg seems to work for now.

Would anyone in Vic have one they're not using? I need to get the car reliable quickly as work is nuts right now. Hopefully want to sort it out this weekend. I have sent a message to my awesome local Merc dealer, so will see what they say tomorrow. 2004 Grand Cherokee, 2.7 CRD.

Thanks for you help

Cheers, Rob.

Shoes are for people with jobs...
Old 27-10-2023
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 274 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

If it helps, part numbers are:
Jeep: 05080462AA
Merc: A 611 078 01 49

EDIT:
Here's one in Adelaide https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/253398692310
If you call them they might put it in an overnight air bag for you. I have dealt with Hi Tech Diesels before and found them great.

Last edited by JeanLuke; 27-10-2023 at 12:23 PM.
Old 27-10-2023
Back again

Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks Jeanluke,

Work has changed again which has given me two more days. Will pull it all apart tomorrow arvo and see what is going on.

After a couple of days of painful starting, she fired up twice today with no problem...... Ghosts. Got a bit of a feeling it could be an air leak. You gentlemen have spoken about suction leaks so much here that it could be my turn to experience it maybe..

Either way, it should be all spread out over the garage floor soon enough.

Old 01-11-2023
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 274 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Are you back mobile?

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2023
Back again

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLuke View Post
Are you back mobile?

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk
Yep. Had to do a dodgy though. Turns out it was my anniversary and we were heading into the city for the weekend. Didn't get a chance to work on it on the weekend, so just had Monday.

Started thinking about the problem though. Was parking the car on a hill, nose up. When parked like this, it would crank for ages with no sign of start, get out, smack the reg, and away she would go.

Park on the flat and it would start straight away. Parked with the nose down and it fired up straight away.

Nose up has the LP and HP pumps sitting at the highest point. This put me firmly in the belief it was an air pocket. Can't explain why smacking the reg helped, but there ya go.

Also noticed for a few weeks now that the engine was extra "clacky" when rev'ed above 3 grand. Didn't think much of it.

So found the center hose on the fuel filter to be VERY wobbly and could see air bubbles when I wiggled it. Had to do a rush job to get it back reliable so pushed in some sealant, then sprayed a couple of thick coats of rubber spray over the top. No no, not gonna leave it like this, but it is now quite firm. Will order a new filter when I can and do the job properly. Planning on sticking with the original design as I do like the idea. Will just seal it up a little nicer when I put the new one in.

The clackyness has now gone too, so seems I was sucking in air under high loads. At least now I know the early symptom to listen for. I had previously checked the clear hoses for air bubbles, but never seen anything. Must have just been when either high fuel demand, or left for a long period not running.

The joys of a 20year old vehicle...... Never stop learning with this thing.

Post New Thread  Reply