radiator fans?...how many - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 31-10-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default radiator fans?...how many

Thought this might get a better response in this section.
I am in the middle of an engine conversion and have come across an issue with the radiator, more so the fan and shroud which make contact with the water pump pulley.
Anyhow, wondering which is best, running single or twin ( or more...) radiator fans
I don't want to go the engine driven type
I'm hoping some might have some tech on this, I've tried google and other muscle car forums but they just turn out in useless debate on who's right.
Old 31-10-2012
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

And the same will happen here.......

However one piece of "advice" is check the flow characteristics and graphs of any fans your considering its VERY educational. I compared a Davis Craig with a SPAL of the same diameter and at zero restriction both flowed much the same BUT when put onto a radiator the SPAL flowed significantly more. Also there are specific Pusher vs puller blades so any manufacturer who sells "one that does both" automatically is less credible.
Old 01-11-2012
Established Member

Yeh , I've been looking at spal fans as they do quite thin designs that still pull alot of air. Basically I could get 2 10 inch fans that pull a combined 2600 cfm or one 16 inch to pull 2200 cfm. Clearly you would go with the twin or am I missing something? Without going into current draw and such
Old 01-11-2012
JEEPOHOLIC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am using Spal Fan & Custom Shroud

You can use this like I did or go for custom shroud or modify the factory stock shroud.

http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_in...ducts_id/42443

however I am running Chevy LS3 engine so I have plenty of room to use stock shroud and fan.

However the factory Fan is best for cooling and pulls more air becuase of the shroud & fan fins design but it is not water proof.
Old 01-11-2012
JEEPOHOLIC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Also if you are using a big ass winch in front of the grill than you can run a second fan as pusher with Spal thermo switch if not than you are restricting natural air flow.

Remeber your Jeep is set to run Low & High speed fan depending on thermostat and ECM settings. Some Hemi people have changed the thermo stat but most are still facing over heating issues because there is NO room in th engine bay to move because of the sheer size of the engine.
Old 03-11-2012
Established Member

All good. Don't really plan to be running a winch, as of yet anyways. Though they did provide me with a pusher fan for the front which I'll use. May have to french the sub frame out a little to get the radiator as far foward as possible. Hasn't been too many reports of the 6.4 hemis getting hot mainly the 6.1. I'm half wishing I went chev, as at the time their kit didn't seem to complete but, I had to replace heaps of bits in mine anway
Old 04-11-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd go twins personally, it will give you a higher 'contact' or cooling area over the radiator making it more effective in bleeding off heat.

By running twins you can increase the liters per second per square metre.