Why is it hard to Start when Cold - Page 7 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-02-2019
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

I think I might of found it ! I pulled a plug lead off yesterday and used a test light to test for spark first thing engine dead cold No Spark! now before you can say Bad Crank Sensor ...... turning off and on many times until the check Engine Light became Normal and a few cranks it starts drives perfectly?........ went out dog walking/roo chasing/drone flying all day it was hard to start the worst ever that was yesterday................................
Today I pulled all the tape off the badly destroyed Crank sensor connection old and brittle it fell apart when the head was done 6 months ago .. about the time all this started..
the connection was good in what was left of the plug BUT! all 3 wires coming from the engine harness had cracks in them in particularly the purple wire using a magnifying glass from what I could see I think there were only 6 wires still connected... so I bent the wires to try and get the best connection while playing around trying to start it I noticed the fuel pump .. New Fuel Pump did not shut off ? generally means fault in the 5 volt sensor circuit ... got it going took a bit then while running I touched the Crank wires and guess what happened it STOPPED!............
YUP! I am going to hardwire the Crank Sensor into the wiring harness That's the Problem Solved
A Cracked and near Broken Wire
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 21-02-2019
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 90 Posts

Geee... that was a challenge wasn't it . Never the less it sounds like you've nailed it .
Old 22-02-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

hope you got it the problem sorted

I have seen a few reports of fried cam or crank wiring, right near the plug.

have personally seen badly cracked wiring in my XJ

bad enough to make me squeel
Old 25-02-2019
AJOR Bronze

Famous Last Words!............... Nothing Has Changed!
Fixed the bad wires on the Crank sensor Plug I tested and get 5.12 to 5.16 volts in and out but still no GO!?! No Spark? Idiot Lights come on go off normal some times other times Flicker some times don't come on? A Short? I unplugged the PCM all connections were good and clean
Took about 10 attempts to start But Started Sat in a perfect idle for 5 mins then I turned off and No Start? I am going to check every Earth in the engine bay tomorrow But now have a sneaking suspicion it might be in the steering column ignition switch area ?...........
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 26-02-2019
AJOR Bronze

Well I checked every wire under the hood got the multi meter out checked all the earths everything is good I did notice one thing which has been bothering me during my tests is the fuel pump runs on?
After checking everything I decided to try a start full battery just charged every time I tried to start and was a no go the fuel pump ran on it didn't turn off? one time the idiot lights were normal I heard the fuel pump shut off I tried to start there was a ignition flutter but would not stay running? But the fuel pump turned off?
As I said above I think it might be the Ignition Switch ... I did some googleing and youtubeing and the symptoms are there it never cut out while driving also I learnt how to Hotwire a XJ Red to Blue yellow to touch and start I am going to Hotwire it tomorrow bypass the switch and see if it starts normal the key barrel is looseish in the ignition might be worn? 23 years of off and on if its still the same (On that thought I need another Beer!) it has to be between the ignition and the PCM ........... But fingers crossed I think its the switch
Yes I had fuel pressure issues But it has always been about turning the key on and off many times to get a start ... ?
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_) I Need Another BEER!
Old 27-02-2019
AJOR Bronze

Well.....same symptoms even when you hotwire it..............
under the dash tomorrow to see if there any bad earths next I look at the pcm fuse/relay box I suppose
Getting Frustrating Now
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 28-02-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

I believe in the FSM diagnostics (somewhere) it states the ASD relay shuts down the fuel pump after 2 or 3 secs...and explains why

Have a look for that?

from my memory the fuel pump makes a noise for 2-3 secs, then shuts up...however if you listen up near the tank with engine running, you can hear the pump whining
Post New Thread  Reply