My summer JKUte kit - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-03-2018
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 111 Times in 81 Posts
Default My summer JKUte kit

I had my heart set on either a Thaler Design ActionTruck conversion or a JK8 conversion until someone pointed out that I will lose some of the awesome Alpine sound system that I love so much. And they are expensive. And non-reversible.

So instead, I put together my own summer action truck ute kit with:
  • Rugged Ridge C3 cargo bed cover
  • Bestop rear half doors in black diamond canvas
  • Bestop Duster deck cover
  • Bestop Duster extension
  • Bestop JKU Windjammer
  • Rampage Combo Brief Top in black diamond canvas
  • Pavement Ends JKU Emergency Top

This setup cost me about $1500 delivered from the US from holiday specials. It's as quiet as the OEM soft top on the highway at 110, leaves the interior cooler on hot days and the open(er)-air driving is a mostly fun experience although there's no hiding from bad smells. Best of all: It's unique, which I value (I almost didn't post this so I could selfishly stay unique).

All of the products have been great so far, especially the cargo bed cover that has frequently come in handy and now stays on permanently. The only negative is that I can never get the emergency top fitting properly in a way that doesn't leave a small gap somewhere for rain to get in. I suppose that's why Pavement Ends includes two rain ponchos with the emergency top.

After swapping to and from the OEM soft top frequently because of this year's heavy rains, I can do the complete swop either way in 20 minutes including the doors. This wasn't the case the first few times because Bestop and Rampage's instructions are crap. Granted, this isn't rocket science but there were way too many times when I shouted, swore and planned to burn down their company HQ. They can learn from the instructions that Rugged Ridge provide - clearly worded, smartly laid out, filled with illustrations and every single step is explained.

Since then:
  • I added a ute tonneau cover spreader bar to keep tension where the duster cover and extension join.
  • Retrofitted a Bestop 2-door Windjammer that covers more of the area behind the front seats.
  • Removed the roll cage padding and covers that had started to fade from the sun.
  • Added home weather seal tape around the door sills to keep the worst water out around the half doors.

Next up will be finding a top that will give me the right look and keep most of the water out. The Rampage combo top is great because it can seperate in two, covering only the front seats for a more ute-like look, but it doesn't cover up to or over the door surrounds, which act like little buckets in the rain that spill over you when you brake or take a turn. I am also looking for a way to modify the duster extension to cover all the way up to the half doors, mainly to keep leaves and the worst dust out.

If anyone has any ideas on tops that might work, how to DIY duster extension extensions (possibly for the windjammer too) or any other thoughts or suggestions, let me know!
Old 23-03-2018
SwampDigger

Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

Nice work!

My first thought for extending to the half doors would be to have a motor trimmer add the extensions & put some neodymium magnets in the edges to stick them to the top edges of the doors.
Old 17-02-2019

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Does the wind jammer really make much difference ?

I’ve got everything else but that and the cargo bed cover.

My extension however unzips but I’m going to put a couple clips on it to stop that.

Recently picked up a spare soft top free that I’m thinking I’ll cut and shut with a cargo webbed fast back thingo.

Maybe switch between that and make a hardtop for the cargo area and have 5 seats and secure rear lock up area.
Old 18-02-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 544 Times in 264 Posts

I have to say "great set up". But don't u get worried about things being pinched. When I am out bush and on the walkabout, particularly in national parks and the like, it is amazing how many times, as I am walking back to the vehicle, I have come across groups of younger people near the JKU eyeing off what's inside. Older ones too!! They always look a bit sheepish when I ask them what they are doing. Nowadays I chain everything down, like fridges, cameras, tools & tool boxes etc.
Old 18-02-2019
CrawlerStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKamo View Post
Does the wind jammer really make much difference ?
Using a 4 door windjammer vs none - yes huge to lessen the wind noise and keep the tonneau extension taut.
A 4 door vs a 2 door windjammer - no, especially considering the hassle of fitting it and the extra cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKamo View Post
I’ve got everything else but that and the cargo bed cover.
It's the most useful and most used accessory on my Jeep. It makes cleaning so much easier and has proven pretty hardy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdingerslammer View Post
I have to say "great set up". But don't u get worried about things being pinched.
I am yes. I kept EVERYTHING locked up in the glovebox and centre console and the Jeep either slept in the garage or outside under a car cover but for the past few months, I have kept the ever-so-slightly-more-secure soft top on it because of the weather.

I never leave the Jeep unattended when I go on trips because the one time I did, someone threw Macca's wrappers and cups in the cab.

I recently tried to close up the cab using black vinyl fabric and 3M heavy duty self-adhesive hook and loop tape to cover the gaps but the glue comes loose in the 40+ degree heat.

I ordered a Bestop Wraparound windjammer before Xmas but it seems to have gotten lost in the post from the US along with the Ebay seller.

My current project is to create a wooden deck lid that covers over the rear seats and also vertically behind and next the front seats too, so I can make makeshift canopy. I will hopefully have an update soon!
Old 27-06-2021
I just registered

Default Open Top Jeep Action Truck

Hello all,
I am actually in the process of installing the Thaler Design Action Truck in my 2010 JKU! I have the same concerns about the confining aspects of using the rear cab and am working out a solution (if possible). My current plan is to get to the point in which the bed is installed and then find a way to mate a bikini top and windjammer work. I have the original soft top door surrounds to fabricate from as well as door surrounds from a 2 door JK. I live in Rhode Island, USA and am thinking I make it a summer soft top with the hard cab and Targa top for winter. The trick is to find out which bikini top will work best with the rear half of the sport bar cut out and how to ensure I keep the rain out. I'll keep track of my progress with you guys to see how it turns out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	200724658_10225747926709233_3668163401979433625_n.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	79382   Click image for larger version

Name:	201814738_10225748639647056_2625047769262068377_n.jpg
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	79383   Click image for larger version

Name:	199541326_10225747928709283_7917367832078013249_n.jpg
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	79384  
Old 28-06-2021
CrawlerStar

I'm very jealous! I've given up on getting any of the ute conversion kits into Australia, especially now during Covid times, and while I am still planning on building a conversion kit in future, I got a Suntop Cargo top for now.

After watching Teraflex's Action Truck kit install video again, I think your 2 biggest challenges are going to be finding a soft top with a windshield header that will work with the new footman loops and it looks like the cab is stuck to the tub using a sealing tape (butyl tape?). Not to mention you have to undo and reattach the sport bar bolts to take the cab off, which look like a minor pain in the ass.