2003 CRD grand cherokee A/C clutch assembly - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2011
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default 2003 CRD grand cherokee A/C clutch assembly

Hi all,
As new user thought i would help by issue with A/C clutch that put jeep on stands for 4 months.
The mercedes 2.7 ltr CRD runs A/C and everything off the one drive belt.
when my A/C clutch assembly decided to seize and start burning causing smoke and molten parts to fall every where, i thought i was ok just change the clutch assembly.
Little did i know 4 months later, after ringing australia, overseas, america and europe that even Jeep australia could not help.
I finally decided that with the removal of the clutch internal assembly via the 10 mm nut, on the end of the compressor, i was able to refit the plate and actually drive without the compressor being used.
Brighton jeep ordered twice unsuccessfully, from europe, the wrong clutch assembly kits, and to date we are still waiting for the call back to fix the problem.
I FOUND THE SOLUTION!!!!!!
I went to total air products in dandenong and they helped me rebuild a brand new compressor(mine seized and spun snapping wiring and causing smoke).
After putting together the housing from the mercedes compressor and using ford compressor parts, finally fixed and installed for less than any quotes anywhere on the internet, or wreckers, or workshops, with new universal drier, filter and pipes.

Thanks to the guys at TAP dandenong.

under $2000 installed new parts, and i helped install and learnt at the same time.

now have problem with starting and turning over........will it never end??????
Old 11-05-2011
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unhappy crd not starting, fuel blockage?, fuel pump?

hi all,
my 2003 crd 2.7 will not start!

it turns over but seems like there is no fuel getting through.

can see the glow plugs light go off ok
can hear the pump turn off or pressurise near engine ok
but when starting or turning over no start at all just constant turning over.

i left the car after this and came back in the afternoon and it started straight away. thought it might have something to with cold or not enough heat at glow plugs but now doesnt start at all, still just turns over like it is running dry.

had racv guy over and he said he cant hear the fuel pump working near the tank. After hitting it and banging it, he said get a new pump and left it at that.

ANY THOUGHTS? or SUGGESTIONS? would be greatly appreciated.

i want to do the work myself and save money.

thinking about depressurising the tank(taking petrol cap off) and dropping tank to get to pump and see if i can test on bench with battery or fix impeller if broken or blocked.

is there a kit or filters available for the fuel pump or suggested cheapest fix?

thank you
robert
Old 11-05-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

There is a low pressure and high pressure fuel pumps on the front of the engine.
Between the two is a couple of connecting tubes. and one back to the fuel filter.
The O ring seals go hard and the fuel drains back over night or standing for some time when cold. Drains back to the tank and empties the fuel filter. To start takes a lot of cranking.
Replace these 4 o'rings and one back to the fuel filter prime it (crank for ever until it fires) and your problem should be solved. No special tools needed they are all snap in fittings, just be carefull not to brake the slide locks.

PS bio fuel stuffs the old style O rings, one tank will do it takes about a month before you start to notice hard starting.

Jeep quoted 2 to 3k to fix it.
My mate owns Aussie fuel injections fixed it for 60c 4 o'rings. Well he gave me the orings and sent me outside in the rain to fit them.
Old 11-05-2011
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserthucker View Post
There is a low pressure and high pressure fuel pumps on the front of the engine.
Between the two is a couple of connecting tubes. and one back to the fuel filter.
The O ring seals go hard and the fuel drains back over night or standing for some time when cold. Drains back to the tank and empties the fuel filter. To start takes a lot of cranking.
Replace these 4 o'rings and one back to the fuel filter prime it (crank for ever until it fires) and your problem should be solved. No special tools needed they are all snap in fittings, just be carefull not to brake the slide locks.

PS bio fuel stuffs the old style O rings, one tank will do it takes about a month before you start to notice hard starting.

Jeep quoted 2 to 3k to fix it.
My mate owns Aussie fuel injections fixed it for 60c 4 o'rings. Well he gave me the orings and sent me outside in the rain to fit them.
I concur with Deserthucker, I have had similar minor probs (not as serious as yours) there are many posts on this issue on this site. As he has indicated the fuel delivery pumps are on the front of the engine not in the Fuel tank (Diesel). Also helps to prime it by simply removing some of the many lines on the fuel filter (each with a different fitting) and just filling it to the top with diesel, I used this method when I changed the fuel filter, worked a treat.

As for general problems with a CRD, I have found as many others, it is a technically complex vehicle and sometimes even the dealers are can not solve (try to find your engine number, on the engine). Quite often there will be someone completey unrelated to chrysler with the cheaper/better fix. Take fuel filters, Drover has a good post about filters for CRD here, fuel filters start from around $60 (different brands) I found a local shop (Gladstone Air Cleaner Services) had a WCF-158 by WESFIL/COOPER to be exactly the same as OEM model for $30.
Best advice I have found, always comes from the lads on this site.
Cheers
Old 11-05-2011
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Many thanks to deserthucker and keppel.....

i just sprayed aerostart in the air intake and ....the engine turned over and started straight away.

this is good news i hope because...

i guess.....

it means the glow plugs are ok,
the fuel pump and fuel filter dont need replacing,
and it probably means the prewarmer or prestart part of engine start up has an issue.

if the aerostart started the engine staright away does this mean that the lines are still emptying over night or when cold?

does the cold cause the o rings to shrink and cause the fuel to bleed or drain back to the tank?

what are the procedures and process for finding these 4 o rings and removing and replacing them?

do bursons sell these o rings? or jeep or mercedes direct?

i found for the first time in history mercedes cheaper than jeep!!!
fuel filter at jeep $176 and at mercedes $120.

once again many thanks as i seem so much closer to saving money and fixing this problem. this user group is the best!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-05-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

JGC Cooper filters from R&E Autos:

Engine lube oil, WCO40 $28

Diesel fuel filter WCF158 $31

Follow out your fuel lines and you'll find the o rings / fittings being referred to.
Old 11-05-2011
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,878 Times in 2,294 Posts

The 2 replies to your question are right on the money, but don't use aerostart on it, just not a good move.
If once its running all is good then it is more than likely the fuel line 'O' rings, but also check the drain plug on the filter. If its running a bit raggy then you may have a leaking injector. If you haven't worked on CRDs then get a manual and a mate who has before getting into it, they don't have the same tolerance like a petrol job of a nearly good enough job. The fuel system after the first pump is at very high presure.
$176 for a filter from Jeep is robbery my local dealer charges about $90 last time I checked.
Check out my post about filter numbers http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ht=crd+filters

MB Spares products are good and the prices are very good, for $176 I could buy about 4 oil and 4 fuel filters.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Post New Thread  Reply