WH CRD Pitfalls? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default WH CRD Pitfalls?

I'm new to the forum and have read up quite a bit on the WH.
Looking to buy a WH CRD 3litre from mid 2000's as a tow horse for a bit of grey nomadding.
Know that there are some things to check like:
1. All recalls for the model have been carried out.
2. Full service history and books a "must"
3. Obvious checks for leaks (oil/coolant etc)
4. Check for any chip mods (I understand some are not so beneficial in the long run)
5. Check to see if resistor mod done on stir
6. Suspension bush check

If there are others, please let this newbie know as I'd appreciate the benefit of your experience.

Nucky
Old 06-03-2018
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,189 Times in 788 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Once the warranty is up you will find most WH/XH's won't have a log book service history past the 3 year warranty period (I stopped using dealers 110,000km ago) as Jeep service sucks.
Don't dismiss a clean and tidy unit just because the log book isn't up to date.

I still have the original swirl motor in place and its working fine at 246810km (touch wood) but I do carry 4.7k resistors in the glove box.

Not all recalls are good!
N23 disables low range (see jeep service sucks)
The key recall can break the key (they don't give you a new key with the new ignition barrel).

The most common chip mod isn't a chip, its a GDE tune that alters the engine computer so there is no visible sign that it has been done.

Look I'm not trying to talk you out of buying a WH, on the contrary I think they are great and highly under rated but if you are going to rely on someone else to do the maintenance for you then don't buy a Jeep, any Jeep.
Old 06-03-2018
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Many thanks.
More than OK to do as much of the maintenance as I'm able (getting a bit long in the tooth now)
I do oil/filter changes on my Pajero as well as work on a couple of aging Alfas so am all right with a bit of mechanicing.
Like the look of the WJ CARD so will look around a bit.
Nucky
Old 07-03-2018
I just registered

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Fuel economy should be approximately 11-13ltrs per a 100kms mixed driving.
Dont pass up a clean jeep just because swirl bypass isnt done. Ive got 182k on the clock without the resistor mod but also carry spare resistors onboard.
The only problems ive had is glow plug control module (easy fix if you can solder)
And shift control module may need a clean. (Also relatively easy) look for quadra drive 2 you will want it in the end trust me (its amazing offroad)
The front brakes if the rotors havnt been changed may warp (again easy fix)
The engine power poops all over all the 4wd utes (also have a navara which sucks at towing)
A rattle underneath may be the sway bar bushes (jump under front and rear and wiggle side to side. (Easy fix $70 diy)

Personally ive never been a jeep fan as such, ive always like a wrangler but not a jeep fan as such. Until i owned one! Now i love them.
You will hear other 4wd owners say they suck and break down and blah blah blah. Personally i think there no worse then alot of new cars these days, with so many sensors onboard now all new cars have faults.
One other bit of advice i will give is buy an obd2 scanner an plug it in before you buy. Dont be scared of a fault but know the fault and use it to negotiate a better price.
Old 07-03-2018
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,189 Times in 788 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I suffered from a failed ABS sensor this week, A genuine MOPAR one will set you back $100au delivered. If you want to go non-genuine it will cost you $25au.

To compare, a mate had an ABS sensor fail in his Colorado and it cost him $300+ from Holden!
Old 08-03-2018

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default Front Control Arms? Clunky!

Pretty sure I'm going to have to replace my upper and lower front control arm bushes soon as i too have the standard front end clunks going on. I know its not the steering as its still nice and tight and the suspension is only about 50000 km old and it too still rides nice and firm. Any suggestions? Do i just swap out the bushes or is it easier to swap out the entire control arms top and bottom? Your advice is much appreciated. Cheers.
Old 08-03-2018
Established Member

Liked 169 Times in 116 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hey NoMates,

I started out using one of those cheap ass 10 ton presses with a bottle jack inside a mild steel frame. When pushing out the lower control arms front bushes I bent the jack plate
So if you don't have access to good gear, just swap out the entire assembly.

Cheers