WK2 MY2014 power to reversing light on 12 pin plug - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-05-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default WK2 MY2014 power to reversing light on 12 pin plug

Hi

After a 5 year old ran behind the car at the local shopping center I decided to wire a reversing alarm into the 12 pin socket on my car but have intermittent power, sometimes 7 Volt and other times 12.6 at the correct pin, EVEN WITH THE IGNITION AND ALL LIGHTS OFF.

The reversing lights on the car work fine.

Due to the fluctatuations I guess it is the computer controlling it.

The towbar was installed by the dealer.

The question is:- Does anyone know if the OEM towbars were supplied with a plug in wiring harness or were they hardwired by the dealers?

I don't want to pull the back of the car apart if I do not have to.

Thanks

Clueless
Old 21-05-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 108 Times in 74 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I have seen some buy the reversing globes with built in alarms. This worked for decades, not sure if they would work with the Jeeps.
Old 21-05-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 73 Posts

MY14 = hard-wired. Reverse was not commonly connected.

Is it possible you're measuring a permanent power supply that has gone dodgy, or you're getting an erratic connection with your multimeter probes?

Cheers, Steve
Old 22-05-2018
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks
Imaze

That was also my first thought (alarm/tailight combo) but it appears that they have a very high failure rate according to the parts place I went to. So much so that they no longer stock them. I was also hoping to get the noise maker outside the car

Barboots, I went out and checked again (after cleaning all theconnections on the multimeter) and am getting 12V constantly at the plug. Which is confusing as the wire to the pin is resonably small gauge and Black which is supposed to be the reversing light. Making it difficult to understand how they could connect it.

I don't suppose I have a choice but to pull the thing apart and have a look on how they cut it into the wiring harness.

Thanks

Peter
Old 22-05-2018
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clueless View Post
Thanks
Imaze

That was also my first thought (alarm/tailight combo) but it appears that they have a very high failure rate according to the parts place I went to. So much so that they no longer stock them. I was also hoping to get the noise maker outside the car

Barboots, I went out and checked again (after cleaning all theconnections on the multimeter) and am getting 12V constantly at the plug. Which is confusing as the wire to the pin is resonably small gauge and Black which is supposed to be the reversing light. Making it difficult to understand how they could connect it.

I don't suppose I have a choice but to pull the thing apart and have a look on how they cut it into the wiring harness.

Thanks

Peter
I have seen some later models have some kind of resister there behind the 7pin plug. Can you check if yours have it? It maybe in place to not cause problems with the tail light LED's or what not. I dont know. It maybe potentially what causing your voltage fluctuations.

From memory, the mopar best bar AU wiring, the reverse light for the 7pin trailer plug is tapped in from the center roof trim of the boot door (not from tail light).

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk
Old 22-05-2018
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Here is a photo of the wiring I took and labelled as such. This is the Australian OEM mopar harness, no longer available.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk
Old 22-05-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 73 Posts

The reverse pin allocation is often bodged from the "standard" to be permanent power for caravan fridge. I think Jayco are somewhat responsible for having popularised it.

You can pick up a 12V reverse wire in the loom which runs over RH wheelarch. It's white with a lime-green trace.

Cheers, Steve
Post New Thread  Reply