CTM are they Good? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > RumourMil
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2006
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That "Violet Crumble" Range Rover on GQ running gear at last years Tough Truck went through 3 or 4 CVs in the weekend from memory.

Could be worth chatting to Wendle to see if he's got any ideas on the GQ CVs.
Old 02-03-2006
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

He was there when I broke the CV in Berridale in December, was also there when I broke the one last weekend (coincidence? ) . When I did the one in December he said a guy they met at the WE Rock finals was going to make up some Chome moly ones for the Aus market, but I haven't heard anything since.

(by the way was that you we saw when we were driving back from Cooma, Nathan?)

http://maddog.zook.org
Old 02-03-2006
Certifiable Goat Wrangler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wendle was my spotter when I went r-sover on the Kambakon too....must be all his fault !!
Old 02-03-2006
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog
(by the way was that you we saw when we were driving back from Cooma, Nathan?)
Sure was - I got a half wave in by the time I worked out it was you guys coming the other way.

I was coming back from Sydney and after a massive night out on the Saturday evening and about 4.5 hours of the 5.5 hour drive back I was a little bit behind the 8-ball so didn't pick up it was you guys until we were almost passing each other.
Old 02-03-2006
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

my 2c - your driveline is only as strong as the next weakest link, so in some cases are you not better off KNOWING what the weak link is and being prepared for it by having cheap/easily obtainable spares. I'm all for bullet proofing things, but at some stage with the stuff you guys are doing you might be better off being in control (to some degree) of what's going to fail. I'd be happier replacing cv's more often than diff centres. But half the fun is finding a solution hey, otherwise we wouldn't push the limits each time...
Old 02-03-2006
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Shane has been running CTM's and alloy axles in his rockcrusher dana 60's.
All 1.5" and 35 spline gear.
38.5x14.5 swampers with about 20-30 litres of water each tyre and massively heavy steel stazworks beadlocks.
We have beaten on the jeep badly during comps and I have seen it with the driveline all bound up and no breakage.
He would try to drive and it would all bind up with traction and then as he would put his foot on the clutch you could see the wheels and tyres rotate back to where they really wanted to rest.
It was damn cool

He broke the front output shaft on the atlas transfer case a couple of stages after that trying to reverse back up a massive rock.
So with Shane's driveline the weak link was the atlas output.
Who would of though that would be the first thing to break

He has tried to set it up so that 1310 uni on the driveshaft is the weak link and carries spare driveshafts.

I would not run CTM's without also running alloy axles.
Just doesn't make sense at all.

Ben - Maybe have a look into getting some longfields instead of haultechs. Definitely talk to wendle or someone about getting GU axles installed in the GQ housings as well. I believe it can be done and may be an option for you. Probably more info on outerlimits4x4.
Longfields - http://longfieldsuperaxles.com/
Old 02-03-2006
hellbilly deluxe

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog
So 3 CVs and axles since the end of October.
OUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post New Thread  Reply