USA: Jeep Wrangler "Death Wobble" report prompts members of Congress to investigate - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > PORTAL > AUSTRALIAN JEEP NEWS
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-03-2012
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: YJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
I think they have a different track bar - not 100%, will have to have a look.

Wow, all the complaining finally got something in writing officially!

I reckon they will retro fit stiffer trackbar bushes. Though mine started the prolonged shimmy even after fitting a Poly track bar (solid ball type joint one end and quite stiff greaseable joint axle end).

In that first video at the beginning you can see the diff moving - in the high speed section it looks like the track bar bracket or chassis is flexing.
The 2011s have a different designed bushings, and the incorrectly sized bolt issue was also remedied.

As for the entire ordeal being reviewed by the US congress, let me remind everyone how knee-jerk the US government is, so "be careful what you wish for" is more than appropriate in this case.

With that said, if this turns into anything, Jeep will survive it. They survived the rollover scare in the 80s, unintended accelerations in the early 00s, fires in the late 00s and now death wobble. If anything, we'll end up with another YJ for the next model (YJ in that a model incredibly handicapped and leashed due to litigation like in the 80s when AMC made the YJ less capable than the CJ).
Old 22-03-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Guys I have a 2011 model
2" lift 30k on the clock and it has the D/W real bad!!!!
Its now got after a trip to the dealer ship- new ball joints, steering damp, wheel balance and alighment has been done

And yes it did shake it off road (down hill at 95 kmh with camper on the back) lucky there were no trees.

Her In doors wont drive it now until its proved it wont happen again ?????
Old 22-03-2012
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: YJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis View Post
Guys I have a 2011 model
2" lift 30k on the clock and it has the D/W real bad!!!!
Its now got after a trip to the dealer ship- new ball joints, steering damp, wheel balance and alighment has been done

And yes it did shake it off road (down hill at 95 kmh with camper on the back) lucky there were no trees.

Her In doors wont drive it now until its proved it wont happen again ?????
Did you have the recall for improperly torqued suspension components done?

early build 2011s had this TSB when Dana switched the paint used on the axles and Jeep had to re-torque everything.
Old 22-03-2012
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wonder if they will end up doing a recall of some sort, would be a massive one at that
Old 22-03-2012
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
Its not poor form Yom, its sharing relevant Jeep information from various sources around the world. Why rewrite an article when the is the ability to share the knowledge as originally presented!
No issue with providing the news articles I am merely providing commentary on not citing the sources of the information as a gesture of good faith to the original author.
Old 22-03-2012
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

to JJS Jeepin

Yea the TSB was done when it went for a service
Both side ball joints were done upper and lower as they were gone

Have not had it out on open road since all the work has been done so will find out how good the dealer ship is ??
Old 22-03-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We are in the process of buying a 2012 Wrangler, but not YET placed the order! After reading this (and other forums) describing the problem I put it to the dealer, and this is a cut/paste of the response:

"First I had heard of it, I called my Head Jeep technician at the dealership to see if he was aware of the issue, he mentioned that on earlier models of Wrangler (2007/2008/2009) there was a known issue with the steering damper that caused a type of "death wobble".

from 2010 Wrangler onwards they changed the steering setup to rack and pinion which eliminated the problem, it also improved the turning circle and made it much nicer to drive.

The issue with the track bars had been sorted, it was only on cars built during a certain 4-5 months again from back around 08/09. any cars that were delivered with the different size bolts were sent a letter/email advising of a recall that needed to be carried out."

So it would appear "Problem Solved"????
Post New Thread  Reply