KL Cherokee new shock absorbers - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KL Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2020
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPM View Post
Thanks Trailfirst. Yup, reading a bit more about the top strut mounts and there are some suggestions it's actually a single-use item, even though Jeep doesn't officially specify it as such. Adds a bit more to the overall $$$, but may be worth doing given I'm almost up to 100,000km and planning to run the car for 100,000 more! I also don't want the strut mount to fail during install and then have the car stranded with the mechanic while I order the part and wait for it to arrive.

Actually, just checked the Dobinsons website and it states "Note: Replacement one-time use OEM parts will be required from the dealer for correct installation as well as specialized tools. Consult a professional first." A potential trap for young players if you're not reading the fine print!

Anyhoo, essentially this will be a 'mid-life refresh' for my KL. New shocks, new tyres also required soon (currently Yokohama A/T, but the mechanic reckons I go Kumho for the next set), and then my next service is the 100k which is a biggie on the diesel. But the car gives me so much enjoyment, I'm happy to spend the money to keep her running in good form.
No worries

The single use OEM parts Dobs refer to might just be the black plastic irrigation pipe clamp looking things on top of each front strut in the engine bay - BUT - they also may mean the pinch bolts from the front knuckles. I doubt they're referring to the top mounts/bearings which as far as I can tell are meant to be "on condition".

Altho many guys in the USA have been re-using the front knuckle pinch bolts those are actually described in the factory workshop manual as single use. The size of those is M12x1.25x80mm Grade 10.8. I actually reused mine - cringing at the thought they might be TTY from factory. This dicussion reminds me I've been meaning to get new std 10.8 grade hi tensile ones to replace those just to be safe.

I got new plastic clips but as it turned out I got the old ones off without damaging them (I used the new ones anyway). Those are about $3 each from the USA but local stealerships here will quote something like $45 each.

I fitted B6 struts to the front with original factory springs but new upper and lower spring seats, new upper mounts/bearings (they are LH and RH different P/N BTW) and new plastic retainer clips - and raised the front by drilling the holes out in the shark fin brackets to put the pinch bolts thru with the struts at that position - allsame the Aussie / Hazard Sky front lift process. Those drilled holes just enable location - they dont support the struts - it's the overall clamping around the strut body that holds it. That gave me levelled empty vehicle with full tank and no load in the rear - with Dobs 1" taller springs in the rear.

The PROPER way to remove and refit front struts is to fully remove the front knuckles but I managed to do it the same way guys in the USA have described - ie. levering the knuckle down enough with the spring compressed to get the end of the strut out and back in. I don't think I could do it that way with taller springs as I only JUST got away with it with std springs squeezed down as absolutely far as my repco compressors could take them. I also found it really tricky to get the spring compressors positioned properly to get the struts in at all thanks to really tight space up in the towers (had to try twice for the passenger side strut) - and getting the compressors back out was bloody brutally difficult.

The proper method - ie. removing the knuckles - would definitely be better by way of not risking extreme articulation of the drive shafts and steering shafts - and for overall ease of installation - ie. spring compressors not needed for the installation (will be needed for on the bench disassemby and reassembly of the strut units tho). Removing the knuckles tho means having a balljoint splitting tool suitable for the lower arm and steering arms - and the workshop manual calls up new pinch bolts AND new hub nuts (axle nuts).

EDIT: I've found it best to just break off the front strut "shark fins" to enable easy and infinite adjustment (I got really ******** about proper levelling so have tweaked it twice to nail that properly - and after at first headscratching about redrilling it occurred to me to just piss those brackets off).

Last edited by Trailfirst; 20-09-2020 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Added info
Post New Thread  Reply