Crank Angle Sensor - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-06-2020
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksjay View Post
I know there is a dedicated thread on the dizzy coinciding with this thread.

Planning on taking my rig to the trusted mechanic this week.

I have been hearing a chirp sound for a while from under the bonnet thinking there is a trapped canary somewhere. The car now has the hippy shakes and I thought I would at least check the battery cables were secure. They are. Then I tried to trace the chirp sound which I looked straight at the pulleys and alternator. But there seems to be a chirp coming from the vicinity of the dizzy cap. Does this mean there is a problem with the dizzy? Why the chirp? I guess this could be causing the threatening stalling behaviour.
Its very common for the distributor to start chirping. Its because the shaft/bush gets dry. This can also lead to wear, which can create stumbling.
I just pulled mine out, stripped it and packed it with grease a few days ago. Problem solved and Jeep runs and sounds great again. You can tackle this job yourself.
I am looking at getting another distributor, but dont trust those cheap Chinese ones, or all the ones sold on RockAuto, which are basically the same junk. Thats why i am looking at installing a grease nipple to the upper shaft, so that i can lube it.

Ive got a few pics up on my VSB14 thread showing the dry shaft/bush arrangement. With a bit of practice, you can have the dizzy out, stripped, greased and reinstalled in less than an hour.

You probably already saw this pic eksjay, but here it is again showing the dizzy stripped down. I pack a heap of grease in the body and clean/grease the shaft. This seems to cure small wobbles, and also makes it nice a quiet again. Cheap and free fix.

Cheers,

Last edited by alexbrown64; 27-06-2020 at 09:02 PM.
Old 27-06-2020
Established Member

Liked 31 Times in 27 Posts

I was tempted to get a bronze sleave bush pressed In.
They are a terrible design for lubrication.
And flog out easily.
Grease may tend to be spun upwards towards the cap...
Let us know how that goes but.
Be awsum to have one made from a billet of pure aluminium.
A friend has a lathe worth a million buck.
All comp controlled.
If only I could get him to cad it up...
Old 28-06-2020
AJOR Gold

Hey Mudgee, ive greased my shaft a couple of times now, and nothing finds its way up. In fact, where can it go? there is a huge plastic plate there. Above that is the cam position sensor, and i reckon if they got a splash of grease on it, it wouldn't even affect it.

Greasing the shaft is just a routine maintenance thing. But, i believe that if things get really worn, you can swap your genuine Sagem internals into the cheap Chinese body. That way, you have all the quality internals, with a new external body and bush.

Cheers,
Old 28-06-2020
Established Member

Kool, that idea seems the go and on my project list. What grease do you recommend?
Old 28-06-2020
AJOR Gold

I just used what I had. High temp bearing grease. The blue stuff.

Cheers,
Old 28-06-2020
Established Member

Sweet, many a mechanic that knows jeep dizzies here has picked up on the lube fault!
A few have have recommended a bronze bush fitted.
$$$ I'm a nipple guy!!!
Never done me wrong with lube!!!
Old 28-06-2020
AJOR Gold

Yep, the grease works great. And you will think i am bullshitting, but i have my OBD1 touch screen fuel economy gauge working perfectly. When the engine is warmed up, my hot idle is 1.8lt/hour. After i greased the distributor, my hot idle has gone down to 1.7lt/hour. Amazing. Just the drag on the dry bush must affect timing and performance a whisker.. and my gauge could pick up the improvement.
Anyway, the dizzy is so easy to take apart its not funny. 1 role pin needs to be knocked out and thats it. Just make sure to use a scribe or a marker to make sure every thing goes back the same way. There are also so very thin shims.. look at my pics.. keep an eye on those. I will do a write up and fitting a grease nipple down the track. It will have to be in a location that gets the grease to the right part of the shaft, and also orientated where a gun can get down and used when the dizzy is in situ.

Here is an interesting YouTube vid of swapping dizzy's out. Because the timing is already set, your not "setting the timing". All your doing is maintaining the timing position while swapping distributors out.