Grand Willys Project - Page 14 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-03-2011
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

I was lucky enough that someone gave me a photo of their hotrod with red steelies on at a similar angle to mine, I was able to crop the wheels out and add them to my 32" trailer tyres. Think it looks pretty good.
Now as I am going to widen the whole cab 7" to match the width of the rear and cover the new front end, I want to stretch the cab length ways also to keep the proportions and get more leg room. So this is at stock length.

This shot shows the cab lengthened 3.5", or half the 7" I am widening the cab.
The bed is shortened 3.5" to keep the overall length the same.

Here I have stretched the cab 5.5" which is the same percentage as the cab will be widened, (13.5%). I took the cab length to be from rear of cab to the base of the windscreen.
The bed has been shortened 5.5" as well in front of the rear guard leaving the wheelbase the same as stock.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club

Last edited by Gojeep; 01-08-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 27-03-2011
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

do you still need to lengthen the nose to fit the hemi front clip in?
how different in front end body measurements is the willy's to the tj etc, the hemi goes in them neatly it seems
http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.p...ht-Hand-Drive*
http://totalautopros.com/hemiconversions.html
Old 27-03-2011
LokRinger

Engine bay length is 3" shorter than the Grand but there is a good couple of inches spare space between the fan and the engine. That leaves me about a inch short but can just weld in the Grands firewall a inch further back than the original Willys one. If I didn't run the grands hydraulic fan it would fit but want to keep that if I can.

Got the coilover and upper wishbone mounts off and will use them on the Willys frame once it gets spread to the same outer width as the Grand. Also got the mounts out from inside the frame for the front of the sub frame. Was a pain as lots of spot welds and stitch welding on the outside.

Decided to remove the rear quarters as hoping to be able to sell them to the Jeep wrecker as nothing wrong with them.
Driver side off.

Passenger side quarter panel off too.

One 1/4 panel. Hopefully can sell it off one day.

Got the firewall on this side mostly unpicked.

The damaged side on the right will be harder to remove as all squashed together. Will need quite a bit of straightening before I can use it, but will be much easier once the kick panel area is gone.

My web site:

Last edited by Gojeep; 01-08-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 14-04-2011
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 29 Times in 26 Posts

wow, thats awesome! you must know the WH inside out by now

Wish I had a big shed (and the time) to undertake a project like this.
Old 15-04-2011
LokRinger

Be certainly knowing it inside out by the time I finish stripping. Just hope I remember it all when the time comes to reassemble it all in the Willys!
Will be making a little rotisserie for it so I can flip it upside to remove the frame rails and sill from the floor next.

My web site:
Old 22-04-2011
LokRinger

Not much progress to show worth posting about but still forging ahead between other things that get in the way of the project like normal. I made a quick rotisserie out of two Aldi engine stands that cost me less than $100 for both of them. Can't buy the casters for that let alone the thick plate the pivot is on and other steel used in the stands etc.

Lifting up what is left so I can attached it to some raised engine stands I made up to make this next job easier and safer.

Stands are higher than needed for this part of the job but I will use them also for rotating the Willys cab as well.
Had to use the old Pythagoras rule for working out length of the hypotenuse, so I can know how high the pivot point needs to be. Squared the height of the cab, then added the squared width and then square rooted the result. A2+B2=C2 Halved the answer to get where the pivot point should sit and still be able to do a full rotation without hitting the floor. Just as well I paid some attention at school as never know when you may need that knowledge.
Decent sized rails underneath with over 300 spot welds holding just the forward section of the floor I need on. Door sills were very robust as well and a double section. Much drilling to go and then can start drilling out all the suspension brackets and coil and panhard mounts etc too!

My web site:

Last edited by Gojeep; 01-08-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 23-04-2011
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 158 Times in 79 Posts

Hey GoJeep,

Since you know the GC inside out now, what is the black unit located at the rear left side behind the bumper, fuel filter? If not, what is it and where is the fuel filter and pump and if you have a photo of them?

Also where is the TCM for the transmission and transfer case and if you have a photo of it too?

There is a small black squarish plastic in the bottom of the rear L & R tyre wells adjacent to the rear passenger doors, what was behind it, what are they concealing as a lot of dirt gets stuck behind when offroading?

Thanks mate.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/Hemi4WD
Facebook: http://goo.gl/85r51x
Post New Thread  Reply