GPS and Map Updates - Page 14 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2021
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts

"Found a local guy in Perth who developed an Android Auto/CarPlay retrofit module that hooks into uConnect on the older 8.4” uConnect that doesn’t have factory CP/AA like the MY14/15 (and 16?). Not a cheap solution but cheaper than replacing your uConnect with newer MY screen/hardware/modules and works pretty well overall."

Tried one of these also however this model also allows use of the steering wheel controls. You activate the device by a 2 second press of the button on the left rear of the steering wheel. Works well as far as Android Auto goes however the killer issue is the use of the aux audio input. Sound via the device e.g. Spotify, Apple Music etc. is just crap and I couldn't live with it.
Old 04-08-2021
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,947 Times in 2,329 Posts

Sounds just like most other vehicles set ups, lousy ............. My Navman dates from 2015, is on its 3rd vehicle and has had updates all the time......... Needed a couple of clean reboots but still doing its job well............

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 10-02-2022
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousie View Post
Hi Troutman. Well I have purchased the IGO Navigation which actually is IGO World Nextgen maps (2018Q2) for AUS/NZ, then added 3D Package, Safety Camera Database and the free Premium Geography Map Package (2015Q3) and if you go the the IGO Webpage you can see the app. I've lived with the Garmin Nuvi 65 5 inch screen for years so by comparison it looks a a lower resolution a tad. I went to the Brisbane CBD, well, that changed as every building in the CBD is there in 3D so a bit over the top for car but for walking would be ahoot. Remember this is the specific android version extracted. After a long search, I've concluded its road based mapping and may try my old Garmin eTrex 30 to see if I can place another layer. I didn't bother with truck and caravan extra. The $40 invested on the phone means updates on phone is free and ongoing from what I have read.

Folks, if you want to venture into this one step at a time I would automatically head to https://forum.xda-developers.com/gen...3194106/page11

And download Leighm0's ISO files 1 for MY14-15 and 2 MY16 (14.05.03) Without these files, there is no capability to install new maps. Then on Page 12 down the messages, Leighm0 again posts all of his work in a zip file. Again a must to download.

If you do this first I will then post in detail stage one for all Laredo owners in step by step detail and you can practice on your uConnect radios. We are just placing the relevant year Leighm0 iso on a quality USB (do not run it) and then we just create a notepad file (please download freeware Notepad++ and use that to ensure we manage all stages well) and we are going to create a 'script.Lua' on the USB. Then create an empty folder titled 'originals' please.

If you open notepad++ for the first time please paste the following exactly as stated into notepad++ (you can use basic notepad but I want you on ++ given later on pls) and then save it. Congrats, you have just created your first linux script to obtain your productid file.

local os = os
-- begin
-- copy productid from radio to usb stick and stop
os.execute("cp -f /dev/fram/productid /fs/usb0/originals/productid")
os.execute("mount -ur /fs/mmc0/")
os.execute(mountpath.."/usr/share/scripts/mmc.sh stop")

That's it, you are all set to perform your first very safe action and that is to commence the 14.05.03 modified update (nothing changes on your uConnect) but you have to press update from your unitversion to 14.05.03 and then wait 35 seconds and you will find it restarts to update then stops and says eject USB. The radio restarts and returns to normal. Hence you must have a 'script.lua' file. you can study Leighm0's extensive scripts. The '--' are not acted upon so you can type any text. the 'cp' is Copy command and 'f' is file from its radio location to the folder on the usb called 'originals. The next two lines are set to read only then stop! These two lines will always be there and never change. Then take your USB to the PC and presto your productid will be there so we can confirm you have copied your productid successfully.

This specific ISO bypasses all checks and before it actually loads it seeks out the usb for instructions, completes your instructions and then stops.

Using Notepad++ change the VP3 to a VP4. then save as productid to another folder on usb called 'modified'. Open your script and change just one line, remove our copy command from radio to usb and replace it with our copy from modified usb folder to the radio.

os.execute("cp -f /fs/usb0/modified/productid /dev/fram")

Again if you want study Leighm0's extensive scrip.lua so you can confirm you have correct spacing. By now you should see it is a command to copy the file, in this case replace the original. Once you complete process. Your laredo non-nav version will show the navigation icon and awaiting activation (because you have no license map files *.Lyc).

Stage one complete (you can change back to VP3 once exercise is complete for now). Stage two is more effort as above. If you are comfortable with above, then we will move to stage two which is where all Jeep owners can play as we obtain two files, add the number 2 and copy replace these and add the NaviServer2 to a new location, keeping the old. All Navigation Jeep versions will not see any change as your maps continue to work but your NaviServer version has changed in settings. Thats the next tute. Am I okay to continue in this thread? That's it for now.
Hi Folks, does anyone have a copy of the Leighm0's files and willing to share, the mega sites links no longer work
Old 16-02-2022
CrawlerStar

Liked 352 Times in 184 Posts

if you pm mousie you might be lucky.
He is a great bloke and very helpful and knowledgeable .
Im in the process of trying to do the map upgrade.as well.
Old 18-11-2022
Greying Nomad

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Is there anyone in Adelaide who could update the maps and navigation on a 2014 Limited for an old man who has read all these posts and understood none of it?
Old 19-11-2022
CrawlerStar

Liked 243 Times in 135 Posts

(If your not a geek, cracked a PS1 or 2 or hacked an old phone in the days gone by - walk away now)
The complete Kit as made by another regular member here and is a great resource for all.

https://mega.nz/folder/XuQkTbLA#Nral4nOZoR4_LUeXGgoKQg

There was a change in structure in the later years, so you have either the earlier MY14 or the Later MY16 cracked firmware file for use with your USB stick. Just download both as they are identical save a minor technical change, using the wrong one does not cause grief.

https://mega.nz/folder/fj400YQD#GUxqvRjHA4fWq1KIJeOs4Q (MY14)
https://mega.nz/folder/L3QkTLzI#YNWPkvxRPtlPv-uq1gS7yQ (MY16)

Finally, the only issue for some members undertaking this is retaining their original basemap file and possibly the .lyc file for the basemap. Just download what you have, check and play to get it done.

There is so much information on this forum and others that there is no need to ask further questions as the 'search' button is your friend. The main issue with the units in earlier days is some had Dab+ enabled, some not and some able to be activated via product ID modify (or not) including modifying to turn on maps. You will discover this first and then move on.

Usual warning, you must accept you can brick these units, although quite rare with this procedure (I don't know of any) and will be 100% your fault as I and others on this forum will know you made a very serious mistake. If you get lost in all of this, just reload the factory firmware and start again. Rooting Android phones is not undertaken as much anymore unless you have an old one to keep with your aging Jeep. Hence, you might want to check that out first and refer to my first line. The primary reason over all these years, enforcing map purchases is so we are not abusing the map provider's property.

Last edited by Mousie; 19-11-2022 at 04:50 PM.
Old 19-11-2022
CrawlerStar

Liked 352 Times in 184 Posts

I did try the upload to newer maps but as mousie mentioned but could never upload the new maps. The hard bit is making sure when you buy your new maps, is extracting all the required licence files.
As he mentioned, make sure you keep copies of the cars original files to reload if it dosnt work.
As Jeep is now offering new maps for the older headunits that is also another option
Post New Thread  Reply