140K on the clock. Time to renovate the '02 KJ CRD - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2012
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default 140k's

Good find Glen...judging by the big bubble, I think he may have a problem. I just blocked off the outlet, made a rubber bung to fit the inlet..little hole to take the nozzle of my air hose, then stuck the intercooler in a bath full of water and very gently applied air..took it up to about 50psi and had no leaks at all...ended up blowing the bung out!! Mind you, it took me a day or so with the intercooler sitting inside by the heater to make sure it was dry inside before I put it back on!!
Old 11-04-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have done the same k's (143k), so I'll be watching this thread with interest. I get around 10.5 - 11.5 ltr per 100 for city or hwy.

Another mod might be the EGR-Block which I am just about to do myself.

If you are replacing the thermostat there is an ex-LOST guy who is now in Alice Sprigs who re-manufactures the thermostat housing so you can fit a normal thermostat inside it, not sure if he is back ip and running and actually making them again.
Old 15-04-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

First step is under way. As per Bazz's instructions I jacked up the rear and removed the left rear wheel. I slid under the car while swambo lifted the axle up and down with the jack. I couldn't get enough leverage on things to force any sideways movement so nothing obvious showed. Looking at the condition of things the upper yolk bushes look pretty ordinary while the middle ball joint looks okay. I couldn't see the driver's side as clearly but it felt like the rubber is in similar to the passenger side. Also attempted to find slack in the control arm bushes but they seemed pretty solid.

Pics are attached. If those more knowing see something obvious please let me know. Pic 1 is ball joint, Pic 2 is left bush, Pic 3 is right bush, Pic 4 is ball joint again.

Cheers, Indie.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030704.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	53820   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030705.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	53821   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030707.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	53822   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030710.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	53823  
Old 15-04-2012
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Peeked under the bonnet to attempt to understand the whole intercooler thing. Given the lack of noticeable turbo boost in the car's performance I'm liking the suggestion there's a leak in that system somewhere. What was immediately obvious is the oil that's coating the hose in the attached pic. Is this normal? I doubt it.....

Remember you are dealing with someone who (after building a 1964 GT Cortina from scratch in his 20's) has just wanted to drive his car for the last 20 years. Hence I've avoided having to learn exactly what's what under the bonnet!

EDIT; Just noticed the housing under the back end of that tube is coated in oil. The hose also seems pretty flimsy and doesn't hold its shape at all. The hose on the other side of the intercooler is also coated. Seems it'll be worth replacing those two hoses first up to see if that solves the problem. Any other hoses to include with them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030716.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	53824  

Last edited by indiedog; 15-04-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 15-04-2012
DetroitDemon

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

I'd be sticking some new shocks in it. Yours are over 5 yrs old now and new shocks can make the vehicle feel so much more crisp and fresh even if there doesn't look like there's anything wrong with the current shocks.

No one has mentioned it but unless you've already done them its probably time to get the injectors replaced and the injector pump tested.
Old 15-04-2012
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks for those suggestions Yom. I've thought the same about the shocks but unfortunately the budget is not endless so need to prioritize. The thought of new injectors scares the crap out of the moths in the wallet!! I did however buy some diesel injector cleaner and that will be going in when I fill up in the next day or so. I could afford that now at least....
Old 15-04-2012
DetroitDemon

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Some dealers do the injector clean with the Wurth fuel system cleaner thingo. Its not cheap but its damn good stuff. Ze Germans wouldn't use it if it didn't do what it is advertised to do. I had my JK cleaned at Albion and it resulted in smoother running and less exhaust smoke at less than half the KM you've got on yours.
Post New Thread  Reply