WK2 Overland towing with WDH - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-12-2012
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Default WK2 Overland towing with WDH

G'day Guys,

For those that tow with a WK2.

A relo's brother has a WK2 Overland with air suspension and tows a 21' carravan.

Q.Does he use WDH or not ? and why ?

Thanks in advance.

"Such Is Life"
Old 15-12-2012
AJOR Gold

Liked 44 Times in 37 Posts

I think he should be using a WDH on that size van, reason, puts weight onto the front axle. He would have upwards of 200kg on the tow bar which when static is not an issue, then add the extra weight when going over bumps and undulations and the more weight is added to rear of the rear axle which in turn takes weight off the front axle, which is not a real bad issue in a straight line,dry road, then add an undulation through a bend in the road, then add wet weather.....no/poor steering response.
There are countless threads on this issue on the caravanning forums.
I tow a 3.3t van with the WH with a WDH fitted at it sits and rides nicely. I also have a 1.6t van that I tow without the WDH and it sits down in the rear, bottoms out the rear suspension and generally not as nice to tow as the 3.3t van with the WDH fitted. I will be using the WDH with the small van from now on also.
My 2c worth.
Old 15-12-2012
CrawlerStar

Thanks GMEMUD,

I also tow a 3.0t offroad van with my WH and use a WDH and i would also think he should use one, but as i don't know anything about the air suspension and how it works i'm not prepared to say for shore.

I also have a camper trailer with a ball weight around 150kg's and with and all the gear in the back i also had the down in the back issue and i fitted polyairs to the rear and at 30 psi it sits much better.

"Such Is Life"
Old 16-12-2012
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I tow a 3.2t van with my wk2 with QL and would not tow without it. I think you will now find that Jeep does actually state to use a WDH with anything above 2250kgs. I have always used one and not a problem. There is a massive thread on this on a caravan forum that will help you with more advise. Even though the suspension will make the car level, you will not have the weight back over the front wheels for steering, braking but most importantly reducing sway caused from the van/car combo not with the correct weight distributed. I notice an aboslute massive difference with and without it.
Paul
Old 16-12-2012
CrawlerStar

Thanks pauljp, as i said i think i would to.

"Such Is Life"
Old 16-12-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

I have a new grand cherokee limited 2013 diesel.
First tim out yesterday with my van 21 ft 2.9 ton van
Still trying to get the best set for the weight distribution system
How man chains do you link up

I had 6 to start with bu the car and van was a little twitch took it to 5 links but now the nds of the bars are up around the chassis of th van bu was less twitchy.

Pulled up cunningsham gap yesterday once on the climb thevtemp guade climedvfast to about hal way on the guage 105C was a little concerned as mynpatrol never got holt owing th same van smelt some oil may be transmission but No warning lights or messages - no visible leaks either
Fuel consumption a bit high 17.5 lts per 100kms but its only new with 3000 kgs
So far not as impressed as i would like to be
Any help or guidance woud be appreciated
Old 16-12-2012
CrawlerStar

I have mine on the 6th link but i have over the years adjusted the height of the tow hitch and plus my Grand is lifted with Polyairs and you may also need to reload the van and lighten the ball load a bit.

"Such Is Life"
Post New Thread  Reply