NSW historic registration - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Early Model Jeep
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2017

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default NSW historic registration

Hello all, does anybody know the ins and outs of the nsw historic or classic registration scheme?
Is there any Jeep clubs in NSW that are involved?
Has anybody had any luck getting a slightly modified vehicle through?
My thoughts are building my 74 CJ6 with a 304, 258 or a 4.0L, t18 and J20 diffs (might be to wide), boxing the chassis, running XJ leaves all round sprung under. Painted army green with all the lights, gauges, seats etc stock.
Has anybody had any luck getting some mods like that through the system?
Who inspect’s it? Is it just a blue slip?
It’s worth keeping the old girl if I could do the above, have a capable old Jeep that I can use a few times a year, turn up to the Jamboree and not cost me a small fortune in registration every year.

Thanks, Cheers Danny
Old 03-12-2017
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts

yes they can be modified, one of the best places to check, register & join would be the JEEP CLUB of NSW inc.
Old 03-12-2017
Jedi Master

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/regi...les/index.html
Old 03-12-2017

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks for the link, I’ve had a good read it. It states vehicle must be as close to original as possible but you can have period accessories, just didn’t know what was classed as a period accessory?
Do you know who inspects the car, from what I can understand it’s just a blue slip? If that’s the case they will be more interested in the car looking original, checking the engine number, brakes and lights. As long as my tyres are covered I’d get away with the wider diffs, they wouldn’t notice the boxed chassis and longer leaf springs....
What size engine can I run, the biggest they came with here was a 258, CJ7’s in Australia came with 304’s from 76 onwards, CJ5’s in the USA came with the 304 from 72 onwards.
I’d prefer to run a 304 or the 290 that I already have but if it makes it easier to run a 6 well I’d probably run a 4.0.

Cheers Danny
Old 03-12-2017
Jedi Master

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Lots of googling and reading for you my friend.

Google: VSB14, NCOP, Vehicle Standards Bulletin

Whereabouts are you?

A VSCCS certifier will inspect / Engineering. The list of certifiers is on the relevant authorities websites, or google.

Here’s some

https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/...jan2011_v3.pdf

2.1 CHOICE OF REPLACEMENT ENGINE
A manufacturer’s standard or optional engine should be selected and installed using all the standard components for that vehicle model. However, where this is not practicable, the following requirements should be met:
 Any replacement engine should be of similar mass and power output to that of an engine fitted by the original vehicle manufacturer as standard or optional equipment;
 When the replacement engine is larger in power output than an engine offered by the vehicle manufacturer as standard or optional equipment, the vehicle must be equipped with any necessary upgrading of equipment, e.g. brakes, front suspension, etc.; and
 The power and/or torque of the replacement engine must not exceed the capacity of the vehicle driveline.
Using the engine manufacturer’s published specifications, the dimensions of the selected engine should be checked against the vehicle to ensure that:
 the engine, together with all of its components, fits into the available space without major frame, body or other modifications;
 the engine mass and location of centre of mass must not result in excessive mass on the front or rear suspension;
 the location of ancillary equipment, such as the cooling system, the intake and exhaust systems must be suitable for the vehicle layout; and
 the replacement engine must be installed in a position and on an angle that allows the driveline to operate correctly.
If the installation requires modifications to the vehicle structure, such as chassis rails and firewalls, the modification must be performed in accordance with the applicable LH Code(s).
Old 04-12-2017
Established Member

Liked 42 Times in 25 Posts

Hi Danny,

I recently got a stock '85 FSJ Cherokee registered under the classic vehicle scheme. Overall the process was OK, just crucial to have all your ducks in a row with the blue slip check, paperwork, club membership, etc.
Given my FSJ was unmodified I can't say what lengths you'd be going to for classic registration with a different engine, etc as it may need to be weighed, new compliance plate, and so on. In terms of getting it past the RTA it really just needs a blue slip, classic vehicle declaration, and application for conditional registration.
Old 13-12-2017
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts

so did you find out about modified vehicles being permissable for club rego as I believe a new rule came out about a year ago allowing it to accomodate owners of hotrods. I am doing a jeep with a 350 so I hope so, did you get any info off the nsw jeep club.
Post New Thread  Reply