Poor handling, or just an XJ jeep thing? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-12-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejuice View Post
Diesel means update and it would be a sport so stock heights are 18.5" f and 18" r, the sports use different shocks and bumpstops compare to standard (limited) at least in the pre-updates
Thanks mate. It looks low to me, so those measurements of yours make more sense. I will put the 2" springs I have just got from Greeno in and re-measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
Diesel = sport.
We havent trained him well enough to put details in his sig line !!
I will get right on it LB, I don't want it to seem the diesel boys are dropping the standards
Old 19-12-2013
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
Diesel = sport.
We havent trained him well enough to put details in his sig line !!
Done (possibly)
Old 19-12-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If your toe is out it can make it really twitchy. Mine came back from getting ball joints done (which took a lot of slop out and made the steering tighter anyway) and having toe out can make it feel like it doesn't wanna keep in a straight line at all - just really eager to turn. I set some more toe in and this made it track straighter and be a little harder to push into a turn. Felt much more stable on the highway. I think they are really sensitive out to this - especially running bigger tyres, mine has 33" muddies.
It's really easy to do this yourself and see how it improves things.
You can measure the toe using a tape measure if you pick a spot on the tyres that's flat enough, harder to do off the rim itself which would be a better measurement but just have a tweak and see.
Old 19-12-2013
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,579 Times in 4,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
Done (possibly)
Oil leaks are standard !!
Old 19-12-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 98 Times in 67 Posts

I've also read in some guides that having the rearend lower than the front by a decent amount can make them awkward to drive.

Quote:
Check vehicle stance. Hub to fender measurements should be minimum ¼” higher in the rear (like OEM
stance) for maximum stability (this transfers weight to the front tires). Measure on a level surface with normal
cargo and ½ tank of gas for maximum accuracy
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...0checklist.pdf
Old 19-12-2013
MudSplasher

Liked 275 Times in 139 Posts
Default Poor handling, or just an XJ jeep thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
Going by Go Jeep's measurement's the rear is stock height at 17" from centre of rim to flare, but front may have a slight lift as it's around 19", but car appears to sit fairly level.
Sounds like mine at the moment. My 12/97 sport measures 18.5 front both sides front and 17.25 one side and 16.75 the other rear and the leaves have sagged to the point of being flat/inverted.

So for a 98 model I'll say it's pretty normal, just a saggy bum that needs a bit of perking up
Old 19-12-2013
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are you suggesting I need to change my muffler bearings? Wrong thread maybe, lol!