My missus is interested in a Jeep Wrangler, what are the good and the bad? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-10-2015
I just registered

Default My missus is interested in a Jeep Wrangler, what are the good and the bad?

Hi everyone,
I recently bought a new Defender with leather seats and tinted glass, the missus loves it as I do, but she is against having two cars the same (why what is wrong with that if they are good? I will never understand women..)
Anyway her having a new car means she wont want to drive mine so there is good in everything . She likes the Jeep Wrangler, it will have to be diesel as on the farm I have two tanks one for farm and one for road diesel as we buy when it is cheap and stock up and we get discount when we buy 3,000 liters so diesel cars are a must.
How is the Wrangler diesel engine, does it have weak points? From what I can tell the diesel is only available with an auto gearbox, is this correct and how reliable is the auto transmission? Same question re the transfer and diffs?
Basically what is the good and the bad re the car weak and strong bits, servicing, parts price and supply, what does it mean to own a Jeep?
I also do like the styling myself, no it has not got the approach or departure, clearance or rollover angles of the Defender, but it wont be going doing serious off roading either if it is her car. I am sure the Wrangler is capable I am not saying that, just the most the missus will do will be light bush stuff and maybe crossing the creek to check on the cows at the back.
Thanks in advance guys
Chris
Old 17-10-2015
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 542 Times in 304 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

If you buy one for light bush work, about the only thing you may want to add is a front bar and driving lights, they are that capable.
For the Missus aye? The only real problem I see with your idea is if you do go a little more to the off road side, she will embarrass you with her new found abilities.
I've had mine for over 5 years (petrol though) with barely a problem.
I would say go for it. I can't comment on any servicing or repair costs though as I don't let anyone else, apart from my 8 yo son, do any work on it.
There seems to be absolute chronicles of various issues on the Jeep websites but as yet I have had no issues.
Oh, and don't knock the automatic transmission, they are probably the preferred option in my opinion.
Old 17-10-2015
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 584 Times in 369 Posts

The current 5 speed auto is a well proven unit (Mercedes design, from memory).....I really like mine.
On the whole, the oil burner engine in JK's has a good rep.....if you search around on this forum, you're bound to find some people that have had a few issues......I'd probably look at fitting a catch can (Pro-Vent) in the PCV line to keep oil out of the intake system.
You'll be surprised where even a stock JK will go.
Old 17-10-2015
CrawlerStar

Liked 136 Times in 81 Posts

I think they stopped the manual in JK Unlimited (4 doors) diesels due to the high torque - though they still soled 2 doors with the option as its not as heavy. Might be wrong...

It's a good engine. And at 147kW its going to put that Ford 2.2ltr 90kW job in the Landy to shame!
Old 17-10-2015
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 86 Times in 59 Posts

As a repairer that works on both Jeep and Land Rover, the big comparission question I get asked a lot is... Land Rover Defender TDCi or Jeep JK Wrangler CRD Unilimited (unlimited being a Jeep word for a 4 door wagon).

I do servicing on both vehicles, new still under warranty, service cost is $440.00 for either and always includes a fuel filter and air filter. Funny enough the Wrangler uses the same filter that the previous Defender used before going Ford engined.

The 2.8lt VM Motori common rail diesel engine in the Wrangler is a good design and was an improvement over the previous 2.8lt engine. huge amount of torque available, both the manual or auto are well matched and suited to the diesel engine. In stock form still pretty respectable ground clearance and good gearing for serious offroad use. Fuel pressure regulators, fuel pressure sensors, fuel solenoids are the more common items I do on them and ALL common rail diesels, so its not a Jeep thing, its a common rail diesel that only gets serviced once a year or 20,000km thing. Service it every 10,000km's including the air filter and fuel filter (like you should also do to your Defender TDCi), and service drivelines on both vehicles every 50,000kms and both will be trouble free and reliable.

While your new Defender TDCi will suffer outer axle / drive flange spline wear on the rear, this will show within that 10,000km mark, the Wrangler CRD wont suffer drive line oddities like this, but if hammered offroad will be prone to bending (slightly) the front diff housing assembly. Pushed to the limit in stock form, the Defender TDCi will go further offroad than the Wrangler CRD (sorry boys, no flaming please), but not by much. Auto is a great option on a Wrangler CRD, manual or auto the Wrangler CRD is an easier vehicle to learn to drive, seating position is also better in a Wrangler CRD. Price difference about a year ago was about 10K cheaper in favour of a Wrangler CRD, but now both are about $53K

Basically the Wrangler CRD Unlimited is a Jeep version of a Defender TDCi but believe this or not ..... the Defender is more refined on the inside (no in close to 30 years Ive never said a Land Rover Defender could be more refined in the cabin area than anything including a tractor). the half leather seats in the Defender TDCi are really nice and comfy!! and the a/c works like other brands have been doing for 20 years!! (fit seat base extensions to your Defender, you will be amazed at the difference).

Both the Defender TDCi and the Wrangler CRD are great trucksters in the true sense of the word. Buy the wife the Wrangler CRD Unlimited, she can hang out here with the rest of us Jeep die-hards and you can go over to the Australian Land Rovers Owners Forum (AULRO) and be with the die-hards and some *cough* nut jobs....

Prolly doesnt help, but I'd have both vehicles if I had the room. To pick one now as they are both the same price, I'd go a Defender TDCi, but not by much...

Regards
Daz
Old 17-10-2015
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Get another Defer but in a different colour.

I love both. The JK is superior to live with. But who cares. I ride a bike more than I drive my Jeep. All cars are super easy to live with compared to a push bike.

Yuppies will probably keep the price of Defender 90s artificially high for a few years to come so I'd go that way if it came down to it.
Old 17-10-2015
DetroitDemon

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

With a name like cafe latte u must be a mall crawler so go a Tojo or Nissan