Overheating - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-09-2015
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default Overheating

Quick question...
Will driving up a long winding hill (Bells Line of Road) while running 33's and stock diff ratios potentialy cause the car to overheat due to an excessive load?

The reason I ask is that we planned to go up to the Blue Mountains yesterday via Bells Line of Road. Once we got passed Kurrajong the check gauge alarm went off and the temp gauge was in the red. We pulled over and the overflow resivour was boiling over quite severely. We let it cool down, top it up with water and decided to drive back home (it didn't overheat on the way home). The aircon was off at the time.

On the way home I bought a new radiator cap and a thermostat just in case, which I replaced (the old thermostat was fine when I tested it in boiling water).

The car ran fine this morning to work. Prior to this, the temp gauge never moved past 100oC. There are no leaks.

We done 100km of non-stop 4wding through Putty State Forest without issue in the past.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Cheers
Old 28-09-2015
Established Member

Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts

I had a very similar problem in mine when i first got it. I flushed out the system and replaced the thermostat with a lower temp one and has been perfect ever since. Hot weather, cold weather, on road offroad it sits at about 92deg. I think from memory it was a 78deg thermostat i used instead of the standard which i think is about 86 or 88deg.
Old 28-09-2015
Established Member

Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts

Check that your oil is full. lack of lubrication can cause overheating as well as faulty waterpump. Also look under thermostat housing. If it is leaking there it will dry quickly because of the heat from the engine. As the aluminum parts get old they get small pits in them from vibration. if it is leaking there you will see a bit of discoloration or residue underneath it.
Old 29-09-2015
Senior Newbie

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightRiders View Post
Check that your oil is full. lack of lubrication can cause overheating as well as faulty waterpump. Also look under thermostat housing. If it is leaking there it will dry quickly because of the heat from the engine. As the aluminum parts get old they get small pits in them from vibration. if it is leaking there you will see a bit of discoloration or residue underneath it.
Thanks - the oil level was OK, and the thermostat housing and it's surrounds looked OK when I changed the thermostat.
Old 06-10-2015
Established Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Could be the viscous coupling not engaging the fan?

Might be time for a thermo fan.
Old 07-10-2015

Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Cooling is a "system" with many parts. Just a few more checks that you can do:
- is the radiator clean?
- if the radiator is old, then it could have sediments in it (not holding enough coolant and thus not cooling enough volume-wise)
- the fan has a viscous coupling - it could be slipping too much
- someone already mentioned the pump
- engine oil - oil also acts as a coolant. Check that you have enough oil and that it is clean.
- tyre pressure
- aux belt tension - is it slipping?
- blocked air filter or dirty engine will also make it run just that little bit hotter.
- in emergency you can increase the cooling by running a heater and blast some hot air into the cabin... yep, it's a jeep thing.
Old 14-10-2015
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I have the same with my diesel. low crawling speeds the needle will jump just past 100'. tar road speeds 80km/h in 4th gear same thing. new radiator, thermostat, system has been flushed, pump working. outside temperature anything between 34 - 40'. still cant solve the issue. one thing though. do not go the electric fan route. does not work. cfm rating too low!
Post New Thread  Reply