Another Vibrations issue - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-06-2012
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Another Vibrations issue

Ok guys, have a serious vibration / Death wobble issue.
Car is wifes everyday driver. it has.
2" OME Lift (Shocks & Springs),
Panard Rear Relocation Bracket,
1" JKS MML
31" tyres
1" Body lift

The vibration/shake happened the other day after we've had this setup on the car for months. No change even when towing! The vibe come in at around 80 Klm, some times you can drive past 80 Klms without the shake. However since i've been looking for the vibe it seems to becoming more regular and frequent.
Now all of a sudden we have a Vibration. I can not tell if its from front or rear and can not feel the vibe thru steering wheel. It continues until the car comes to a complete stop.

Thinking it could be a tailshft uni issue. My question is how can this be tested? Just remove the rear shaft and test drive?

I have checked the wheel nuts and visually checked the wheels for deformities,wheel weights seem in place, checked and inspected the steering and front/rear ends and couldn't see anything to casue issues. All tight and in place.

Thanks guys sorry for another long boring Vibe post.

Cheers Jas
Old 17-06-2012
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 95 Times in 77 Posts

to test tail shaft just firmly grab it and twist back and forth, or stick a screw driver in the joint and lever the joint. there should be absolutely no play in the joints

if you have death wobble that appeared suddenly for no reason I would first check the track bar bolts especially where it connects to the bracket on the diff which should be torqued to 40 Ft/Lb and the ball joint end on the chassis bracket 60 Ft/Lb. you may also find that the track bar diff bracket end bush is flogged out as well

do all this then report back as there are a heap of other things that can be tested
Old 19-06-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Mate, Tailshaft seems to be tight and in good condition.
However the lower Track bar bolt was ever so slightly loose, After a tighten and drive Vibration was still there! Closer inspection found there was a little play in the lower joint with the bolt super tight!

Rubber end bush seems ok, should this be replaced as a precaution?
However the sleeve is slopy to the bolt, Should these be both upgraded to a larger bolt and drilling out bush sleeve and mounting holes on the diff?

Whats the best solution? Arrrrrhhhh

Thanks Guys, Jas
Old 19-06-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is same as mine does....

Is it a hard replacement?
Old 19-06-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jas, I am a firm believer of doing things right the first time. You could just replace the bush in the panhard and that will probably solve your problem, but before you spend that cash have a look at whether your front tyres are sitting central or off to one side a little because of your 2" lift. If you will be going to a bigger lift at any time or if your tyres are sitting a bit off centre it could be worth getting an adjustable panhard. It's not really rocket science and you could probably get away with just a bush but have a look and see what you think. Before installing the new bush make sure the bolt is perfect for the steel sleeve inside the bush. If it is loose at all get a bigger bolt or drill the sleeve out to the exact size so there is bugger all movement except for the bush being able to rotate on the bolt.

You could simply get a replacement bush and use a BFH (big hammer) to put the new bush in.
Old 21-06-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alright an Update....

Morgs - I have replaced the lower Bush and it has made the steering feel firmer and "Better". After serious testing/Driving it still had a Death Wobble.

Today I took the Jeep to local tyre guy who checked and "fine" balanced wheels and did a "fine" wheel alignment. He also checked all Bushes, Ball Joints and Tie Rod Ends etc. He couldn't find any wore or loose parts so couldn't solve issue completely.

Car Hasn't had a Death Wobble on way home or during test drive.
HOWEVER I feel a slight shudder / Vibration now after hitting some occasional bumps.....

The diff does sit towards the Drivers side by Maybe 15mm... (eye balling).
Is this a problem with Death Wobble / Bump Vibes?
And would a Adjustable Panhard bar help resolve this?

Thanks Jason
Old 21-06-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

PS I also replaced and enlarged bolts to as large as possible when refitting panhard rod..
Post New Thread  Reply