Tyre reviews? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-04-2014
Greying Nomad

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default Tyre reviews?

My Pirelli Scorpions are coming up to the 60,000km mark and will need replacing soon. I've been looking at Maxxis, Hankook and possibly Falken. I run 245/70R16.

Anyone got any experience with these? Jax have Maxxis AT700 for $198 and AT980 price unlisted, and Hankook AT-M RF-10 for $203. I've also seen reasonable reviews for Maxxis AT771 but can't find a price listed.

Please, no replies telling me I should buy BFG, Bridgestone, etc! But if you know anything about these tyres I'd like to hear from you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by Pipeliner; 14-04-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 15-04-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

why don't you go with the Pirelli Scorpions again?? 60000k's is not bad for hwy driving!
Old 15-04-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 86 Times in 59 Posts

Pipeliner,
As Im sure you are aware tyres are like talking sparkplugs, religion and politics... everyone has their own opinions, ideas and will voice what they believe to be true.

IMHO....
BFG All Terrains
(on my KJ) are a really good aggressive A/T, pretty quiet on road, tough construction BUT they arent the best sand tyre as there is very little flex from the tough sidewalls. If Im doing heavy sand work its 10psi straight up and I can still drive on mixed rock surfaces with no fear of damage.

KUMHO
A/T (cant remember the actual model) running on a Land Rover Discovery 1 that previously was running BFG A/Ts. The KUMHO are a quiet tyre, flexi sidewalls which is noticed while driving on the road, almost dam awesome in sand.

HANCOOK, COOPER AT/R,
I'm running the Coopers on a Land Rover Discovery 2, these are without a doubt the noisiest tyres Ive ever had the dissatisfaction of buying. I could give you about 20 clients running either the Hancook or Cooper that hate the road noise!! All of them are that A/T style square patten. Its not vehicle related as the tyres are on Cherokee KJs, KK, Land Rover Freelanders, Discovery, Range Rover Sport.... all make horrible road noise. Some of the owners have bitten the bullet and replaced with a different brand.

Pirelli Scorpions
Nothing bad to say about them, every vehicle Ive had them on (old school Range Rovers, back in the day) this was the tyre they had on them. Been around for a long time. Not the greatest offroad tyre as it seems more road based, another great sand tyre, just watch the mixed surfaces when aired down (as Im sure you know).

BRIDGESTONE DUELER A/T
Been running these on my dads last two Land Rover Defenders as he has always liked them, I admit they seem pretty quiet, good tread pattern, again a pretty dam good all round tyre and hard to fault (not seen them on a KJ though).

Im about to ditch my Coopers on the Land Rover for either Kumho or the Bridgestone.

Regards
Daz

Last edited by DarrenR; 15-04-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 16-04-2014
Established Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

My mates running the new maxxis a/ts. He's got two vehicles, almost exact same setup and now swears by them. His other setup has mickey 4 ribs and he loves the maxxis due to sand usage.
Old 16-04-2014
Established Member

Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I've been running the Maxxis Bravo700 A/T's for about 30k and I reckon they're great! On sand, superb; doing some real rough forestry trails( 4-low type stuff) not a slip or spin at all; on the road, quiet. In wet, no issues, but I haven't pushed the boundaries...
I reckon I've got another 20-30k left in them. I'll def be replacing with the same tyre.
My 2c
Old 16-04-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i had a set of those Maxxis Bravo's on my tiny little Suzuki X-90 before i started modding it.
they were a WICKED set of tires, and i only swapped them out for Mud Terrains when i started getting more serious.
the Maxxis loved the san and on road they were honestly amazing in the wet they kept the grip where it was needed (when being responsible) when being unresponsible on purpose they would spin up "DERP" but that in between part of being a dick or being normal on the road that verge of almost dick they held grip superb...

on the highway i found that the pressures within these varied heaps though not sure if this was due to the sidewall or not!

but they would have lasted me out if i stayed in touring mode instead of going hard core..

the Pirelli Scorps A/T - i actually HATED them on my Jeep i had 2x when purchased abour 90% tread and i hated them they clogged up off road so easily and i'll be honest they were a SERIOUSLY hard compound felt like every bump you could actually FEEL throught he tire i didn't like these tires.

the FALKEN's - i've honestly only ever seen these on passenger cars - i've not had anythign to do with them apart from cars normally have them not 4WD's so i'd be that slight bit hesitant to put "sedan" tires on my rig... again no exp just an observation for you

Si!!!
Old 16-04-2014
Greying Nomad

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Thanks for the reports guys.

My first KJ had the original Wranglers for a time until I swapped them out for BFG's, which were a good tyre. I had the BFG's transferred to my current KJ when I bought it in 2007, then changed over to Mickeys: these were not bad but the rears chipped up horribly when towing the camper across the dirt roads of Central Australia, so I swapped them for the Scorpions.

Don't do nearly as much of the rough stuff now as I did (getting older!) so I thought I'd try the Maxxis as they seem to be a reasonably priced tyre for highway/dirt road/rough track towing duties. Might try the occasional go at some steep hilly bits but my days of enjoying mud plugging are long gone!

Last edited by Pipeliner; 16-04-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply