Wheel flare advice please - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-12-2017
I just registered

Liked 49 Times in 45 Posts

Not a bad call, I found the blue boys down here in rural vic to be a bit more reasonable than metro VIC and a lot more than in QLD or NSW. The thing is though if you have less than +20 offset wheels (which it looks like you do) they will be over the track increase law and they can canary your car and make you remove the wheels so having them covered of nearly covered will save all that bs. How likely is that? probably not very here in VIC where they just don't want to see the tyres protruding.

I've not had issues with fenders in deep ruts (admittedly I generally don't go looking for trouble but have certainly been bottomed out in ruts without concern of the fenders. Fair point on cuttings though, removable fenders would definitely be the way to go if you think you'll be doing that

Last edited by OzRick25; 26-12-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Old 27-12-2017
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm in a similar situation, 2015 JK Rubicon. Putting in a 3.5" lift. About to order 35x12.5x17 BFGs. I'm let to believe the ideal rim to ensure no rub is 17x8.5 (4.5 BS) but 8.5" rims are rare so probably have to go to 17x9 rims with 4.5" BS. How much will these protrude from the stock fenders. I'm worried that even with 2" wider flares I could be cutting it fine.
Cheers

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 27-12-2017
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzRick25 View Post
Not a bad call, I found the blue boys down here in rural vic to be a bit more reasonable than metro VIC and a lot more than in QLD or NSW. The thing is though if you have less than +20 offset wheels (which it looks like you do) they will be over the track increase law and they can canary your car and make you remove the wheels so having them covered of nearly covered will save all that bs. How likely is that? probably not very here in VIC where they just don't want to see the tyres protruding.

I've not had issues with fenders in deep ruts (admittedly I generally don't go looking for trouble but have certainly been bottomed out in ruts without concern of the fenders. Fair point on cuttings though, removable fenders would definitely be the way to go if you think you'll be doing that
I called the tyre service and he said that they're a - 20 offset. The rims are 16x8 and tyres are LT285/75R16. If you can tell me what you think I need that'd be greatly appreciated? If I can I'll use the spacers but not sure if I'll need 1" or 2"?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Polehammer; 27-12-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 27-12-2017
I just registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polehammer View Post
I called the tyre service and he said that they're a - 20 offset. The rims are 16x8 and tyres are LT285/75R16. If you can tell me what you think I need that'd be greatly appreciated? If I can I'll use the spacers but not sure if I'll need 1" or 2"?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
You would defintely be wanting the 2 inch to cover them. Your outer tyre wall should be about 75mm out from stock so they would be 55mm outside the stock flares. That's quite a decent track increase, I'd be avoiding police attention with that.

In theory a 2 inch wider flare may still not cover them completely it would be close though.

I was looking into zero and +25 offset wheels and the uneek 2 inch extensions a while back but decided to import the factory 16x7 jeep steelies as take offs through a freight forwarder and run 285/75R16 on them flush with the stock fender. Anyway when I was looking into the Uneek extensions there seemed to be a few complaints about how they flexed at highway speed and ratled on the ARB bullbar and that put me off them and sent me down the stock wheel path.

Anyone reading this with experience with the Uneek 2 inch extensions?

Last edited by OzRick25; 27-12-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 27-12-2017
I just registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy700 View Post
I'm in a similar situation, 2015 JK Rubicon. Putting in a 3.5" lift. About to order 35x12.5x17 BFGs. I'm let to believe the ideal rim to ensure no rub is 17x8.5 (4.5 BS) but 8.5" rims are rare so probably have to go to 17x9 rims with 4.5" BS. How much will these protrude from the stock fenders. I'm worried that even with 2" wider flares I could be cutting it fine.
Cheers

Its more accurate if you know the offset rather than backspace but assuming they are zero offset wheels i think the tyre walls would stick out the flares by about 55mm
Old 27-12-2017
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzRick25 View Post
Its more accurate if you know the offset rather than backspace but assuming they are zero offset wheels i think the tyre walls would stick out the flares by about 55mm
For this application 8.5" wide 4.5" backspace are -6mm offset. 9" wide 4.5" offset are -12mm offset.

Old 27-12-2017
I just registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy700 View Post
For this application 8.5" wide 4.5" backspace are -6mm offset. 9" wide 4.5" offset are -12mm offset.

the 8.5s would have the tyre out of the stock flare by 61mm and the 9s 67mm

here is a link to a good comparison the stock fender clearance on the factory 17x7.5 with 255/75R17 I measured at 21mm. I don't use the scrub radius and suspension clearance functions

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?whe...cl=50mm&sr=0mm