Dash & Shifter Stay on After Locking the Doors - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-04-2023
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 121 Times in 86 Posts
Default Dash & Shifter Stay on After Locking the Doors

Does anyone else's shifter lights and instrument cluster lights cycle on and off every 20 seconds or so after the doors are locked?

I figure they shouldn't do that, but I've only had my 2015 WK2 diesel for just over a month so still learning its nuances....

Its done this ever since we've owned so I figured it was normal, but surely not?

Now I believe I have a power drain somewhere and thinking this might be it.

2 weeks ago, the Jeep wouldn't start, batt flat. It was the original batt (and load tested was only putting out 100cca), so happy to replace it. New batt has been great and no hint of any issues until a few days ago where the Jeep wouldn't start again as the (this time new) batt was flat again.

I've now been monitoring the voltages like crazy. When the engine is running I have around 13.9-14.3v, so seems the alternator is all good. When the engine is shut off, immediately after the batt voltage is around 12.5v (seems good). Next morning, before cranking the Jeep the batt voltage is around 11.4v and no hope of starting the Jeep.

I am wondering if the instrument cluster lights cycling on and off is draining the batt when it shouldn't be. Perhaps the Jeep doesn't know its meant to be shut down and keeping a bunch of other modules alive as well?

The lights I see cycling on and off are the shifter, the start button, the physical gauges in the instrument cluster, and the "press brake to start engine" message on the LCD screen. These come on for about 10 seconds, then turn off for about 20, and do this all the time when the vehicle is locked and keys are inside (away from the Jeep). I assume this isn't normal, and draining my batt...

I bought the new batt from Battery World and they have tested the batt and said its healthy and not valid for a replacement under warranty, and that it sounds to them like a power draw in the vehicle somewhere (which makes sense).

Anyone experience this, or have any idea, that can share some insight, would be much appreciated.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121119

Last edited by Turismo07; 25-04-2023 at 11:55 PM.
Old 25-04-2023
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 436 Times in 264 Posts

Definitely not normal mate. The lights recycle every time a door is opened or unlocked, I would bet you have a dodgy door switch or earth.

Last edited by Troutman; 25-04-2023 at 10:33 PM.
Old 26-04-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,901 Times in 2,308 Posts

Once you lock everything should go dark with only a red light flash near tacho . NOt sure but seem to recall a TSB on something like this from way back.......... also check that the battery has all the wires connected up....

Go to this site, https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehic...ls/search.html and tap in your ViN to see if all recalls have been done.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 28-04-2023
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 121 Times in 86 Posts

Issue resolved!

Realised that my OBD2 bluetooth trasnmitter was staying connected to my phone, that I leave permanently in the Jeep run Torque app (and other diagnostic apps), even when the vehicle is supposed to be off and doors locked.

The fact the OBD transmitter was trying to communicate with the Jeep was causing the Jeep to no shut down correctly, as I could see from the instrument cluster cycling and shifter lights cycling on and off etc.

Leaving this particualr old phone and torque running (phone is on standby, but the app isn't exited and closed) has never been a prob in all my other vehicles (been running this setup for 6+ years now). But the WK2 is obviously leaving the OBD port live when the vehicle is off and doors locked.

To remedy this I just have to rememeber to close and exit the Torque app on the phone and it will stop communicating with the OBD transmitter (or unplug the transmitter) and that will allow the Jeep to shut itself down properly. Then the dash is completely dark and no lights in the vehcile cycle on/off until a door is opened again or the unlock button is hit.

Just a heads up for anyone coming accross this in the future.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121119

Last edited by Turismo07; 28-04-2023 at 04:09 PM.
Old 28-04-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,901 Times in 2,308 Posts

Be buggered, handy bit of info, I have left my Alfa OBD going on my old phone but it all seems to shut down with the Jeep as it just stops operating, noticed that when I was testing something and it shut down while I was in the shops and had to restart when I fired things up might be something with the phone and OBD dongle set up...very interesting....

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 28-04-2023
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,120 Times in 595 Posts

I leave my Lufi OBD reader in the OBD port all the time. When I shut down the engine the Lufi shuts down as well...only coming to life when I start the engine...

Though...the OBD port does transmit signals to a reader when on "Run", as is not necessary to start the engine to get an OBD fault download to an App...but seems not be active when on the "accessory" setting...definitely not active when all switched off.

I have accidentally left a dongle in the OBD port before now, but there were no lights flashing or anything else...dead as a dodo...
Old 28-04-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 436 Times in 264 Posts

Most of the recent OBD dongles will power down on engine off. Was not always so and many owners had dead batteries as a result.