Exhaust pipe question / help - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-12-2020
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Exhaust pipe question / help

Hey everyone,

Hope you're all having a lovely christmas

I've mentioned in the past about the exhaust needing work on my 95 XJ, and I'm now looking at getting that sorted as the farty leak is embarassing and driving me nuts (and leaking right beneath the trans, so that's a big NO). I've gone over my extractors thoroughly and with an inspection camera for the hard to see bits and I can't find any signs of cracks or leaks, so I'm FAIRLY sure I just have the one leak down below where it collects into the single pipe. Thing is, although you can find a thousand different cheap versions of this collector pipe, I can't find a single one that matches how mine looks... I'm guessing because the thing was fitted with extractors back in the 90's - can't buy the extractor to cat pipe separately from what I can see?!

Anyway, here are some pics of what I have, should I just look at having someone do a quick patch weld across those leaky bits and buy myself time to sort out a new pipe? Or does anyone know anywhere I could get a replacement section of pipe that'll match up to that twin flange coming down off the extractors? Everything else actually looks pretty decent on the exhaust despite early years up the beach... just light surface rust. Don't really have big bucks to spend on exhaust so I've got to make what I've got work as cheaply as possible, but I'm open to all suggestions.

Appreciate your opinions, cheers

Old 26-12-2020
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Merry Christmas Sobek.

Pretty sure you have the Wildcat headers. I have a set and the joint, twin pipe arrangement looks identical.

I would spray the bolts up for a few days in preparation for removal. In the meantime, contact the mob in the pic I’m posting up. They should be able to provide that gasket. It’s like a thick tin foil thing. I also used exhaust silicone gasket goo on mine when reassembling. Think it was red or copper.

I also added a 2.5” flex joint to stop cracking. This allows the engine to torque and twist, while providing the exhaust some give.

I would remove the tail section, add a flex joint and mock it all up similar to my pic, so that it can just be bolted back up...this will also be the opportunity to find any cracks.

An exhaust shop can do the mods pretty quickly and cheaply, if you remove the parts and do a lot of the work.

If you suspect the headers, then spray them too. That’s an awkward job to do. I used ratchet spanners.
You could get any cracks repaired, then add the flex joint.
Also check the engine mounts, as these contribute to stress on the exhaust.

Cheers,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 26-12-2020
Established Member

Liked 31 Times in 27 Posts

Go to the exhaust shop and grab new gaskets as well. I would get new bolts as well. And cut what bolts you can off if they give you greif.
Old 26-12-2020
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

I also have that setup, and when I had to take it down to R&R my trans, the exhaust dude informed me the gasket was for a "Flowmaster" went out the back and got me another for $11

I just gave him the gasket, my downpipe is the same as yours

2-1/2 pipes with 2" extractors
Old 29-12-2020
Established Member

Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks heaps guys, you've answered my questions and more! Above and beyond. I'll get that new gasket for the extractors and I've sent an email off to bestmufflers for those crush fittings at the downpipe
I'll be in for a fun time with those bolts but it's ok, one way or another they'll come out and I'll zip it all off to my muffler fella to take a look over. He's not back until the 4th so in the mean time I'll just get these gaskets and such ordered to get a head start.

Knowing me, I'm just going to end up tearing it all down and doing everything... I never was one to just do one bit and call it a day haha. Despite not finding any visible cracks, I still feel at the very least maybe the extractor gasket has a leak. It's just got that... sound. You know the one.

I'm half considering doing something with the muffler at the same time. It's the stock unit (cat is hollowed many, many moons ago) and it has a nice throaty sound... at idle. But it also has a big dent up the rear side of it, so one day soon it'll rot out I'm sure. Do any of you guys have aftermarket mufflers on, and if so, what have you gone with? I don't want obnoxious, just something to compliment the extractors nicely. Maybe a double or even triple chamber of some kind, I've had good experiences with those in the past on big displacement motors.

Hmmmmm!

Thanks again!
Old 29-12-2020
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

My downpipe had no crush sleeves

My exhaust guy is an absolute wizard with MIG, but I cant see how that rusted through from the inside hole could be welded up

mine downpipe is bolted to the bellhousing by a welded on bracket and whoever did that, looks like they used stick welder, left a small crack in the downpipe due to movement and stress, I did reweld it with MIG, but its cracked again
Old 29-12-2020
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

I just zoomed in on Sobeks down pipes. I thought it was dirt originally.
Didn't realize they were big holes....and the rest of the down pipe looks like its ready to go as well.
Perhaps they sell just the down pipe.. but if not, i think you may have to order a new set. That's definitely where a big bunch of your exhaust noise is coming from.
Your exhaust guy might be able to fabricate some of the down pipe section.

I had no crush sleeves on my system either.

I ceramic coated my Wildcat headers and used a small bead of exhaust silicone when fitting the intake and exhaust.

Also, if replacing the headers, i would seriously consider buying all new studs that mount to the cylinder head. I snapped a stud while torquing up my headers. This was after i had redone the head with new welsh plugs, head gasket and cylinder head bolts. I wasn't going to take it all off again, so i drilled the snapped one out...that was a story in itself.

Cheers,