Rangie Sport - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 31-07-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Rangie Sport

I was watch old episode of Top Gear on Fox last night, anyway Clarkson did a piece with a Rangie Sport Vs some pommie tank..pointless exercise, BUT it did show the Rangie going through some pretty hard terrain with 20' wheels & road tyres on it.

So it got me thinking, most people who bag Rangies are much like the same people who bag Jeeps....usually those who drive Cruisers & Patrols & have never had either a Rangie or Jeep let alone driven either one.

Now I know a new Sport costs a heap more than even a WK overland but I saw some '07 TD sports varying from mid $50k to high $60k on carsales. IMHO they are absolutely beautiful inside & vary well equipped. In a lot of ways they are similar to an Overland..air suspension, diff locks, nice diesel motors & well decked out inside.

So what do my fellow jeepers think of the Sport, I know its built off the Disco platform, but look so much better. Would you consider getting one, I think I probably would....but it would also need to have a couple of years of factory warranty left, if only to cover the air suspension.

Cheers

Chris
Old 31-07-2011
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

you tube Range rover sport off road, or go to RRS.com, it has a forum like this for range rovers that go off road one guy has a full touring set up on his and also has a link to some youtube video's where it makes mince of a lifted cruiser and stock hilux... interesting site... only know of this site as i was looking at getting a rangerover sport, as my DD and mile eater sometime next year when the JK becomes to big to take on these duties...
Old 31-07-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

There is no doubt that the Range Rover Sport is a very desirable car. In regard to the air suspension - contrary to popular opinion the air suspensuion is a very reliable part of any Range Rover.

However the Range Rover Sport has a quirk that I don't think many will be aware of and one which turned me off ever buying one. There is virtually no room to work on or around the engine so basically any engine /engine ancillary work requires the complete body to be lifted off the chassis. You'll need a hoist and a high ceiling and four hours to remove the body and another four to replace it. So a simple manifold gasket change is going to be very expensive.

I suggest caution and research before buying a RRS - especially one which is out of factory warranty.

Last edited by LSE3.9; 31-07-2011 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Mistype
Old 31-07-2011
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 39 Times in 28 Posts

very limited aftermarket parts and accessories available, cant down size the rim to allow for a decent all terrain tyre (Disco4 is now the same), cost of servicing (not that jeep is much better....) and just too many fancy bits...

the new range rovers are from their offroading roots now, if i had the money and choice between a new WK and a RRS, i'd go the jeep every day of the week.

Old 01-08-2011
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSE3.9 View Post
There is no doubt that the Range Rover Sport is a very desirable car. In regard to the air suspension - contrary to popular opinion the air suspensuion is a very reliable part of any Range Rover.

However the Range Rover Sport has a quirk that I don't think many will be aware of and one which turned me off ever buying one. There is virtually no room to work on or around the engine so basically any engine /engine ancillary work requires the complete body to be lifted off the chassis. You'll need a hoist and a high ceiling and four hours to remove the body and another four to replace it. So a simple manifold gasket change is going to be very expensive.

I suggest caution and research before buying a RRS - especially one which is out of factory warranty.
Gorgeous car and great looking - but that's pretty scary. It would certainly turn me off.

I'd definitely go for the new GC though with zero km's as opposed to a 4 year old Rangie with 80,000 for the same price.
Old 01-08-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Nice car BUT I want a new Grand.

jk Unlimited
Old 01-08-2011
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRJ33P View Post
the new range rovers are from their offroading roots now, if i had the money and choice between a new WK and a RRS, i'd go the jeep every day of the week.
wtf? lol

WK2 is exactly the same as the recent generations of LR Disco/RRS/RRV. And that is a relatively heavy duty luxury vehicle with some whiz bang technology and big wheels that allows it venture off the blacktop but first and foremost they are designed to be luxurious onroad saloons as thats where the greatest majority of them sold will be used.

LR and Jeep simply have to dress them up with things like Steel skid plates and recovery hooks because of their brand name - if they were badged as Fords or Chryslers they'd have only bits of plastic as air guides and hidden tow points for vehicle transport. As far as off road basics LR's suspension and chassis poos and wees all over what is in the WK2 with much more available travel and strength but it comes at a significant complexity and weight disadvantage.

Last edited by Yom; 01-08-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply