DIY ECU Re-map :-) - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2020
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts
Default DIY ECU Re-map :-)

I'm about to embark on my first DIY ECU re-map for our WH GC 3.0L CRD. I previously spend $1500 getting my WK2 Re-mapped with ECU West. They gave me a lovely 'before' & 'after' dyno 'feel good' chart to show the improvement over stock. Did they REALLY 'Custom' modify the file after the dyno run to maximise the parameters of the 'tune' ? I highly doubt it, as it was an ECU out of the vehicle to re-flash it not just a simple OBD2 read & write. When you investigate just how simple it is to Read/Write files to your ECU I feel like I was 'Wallet Raped' for such a simple, basic 'stage 1' re-map that was well within the operating parameters of the engine management system.

The ECU in the WH CRD is a Bosch EDC16CP31 & is easily Read/Write through the OBD2 port with VERY simple, basic hardware & software. I have purchased a SMPS MPPS Ver:13.02 wired interface & have the software installed on an old laptop running WinXP. Just waiting for the hardware to arrive but reading on many Jeep specific forums this ECU is quite simple to modify the file.

Where do you get your original file modified ? There are probably 50 Thousand places advertising on the internet who provide this service ... so you have to filter through & find a company with enough 'Reputation' to trust to modify your original file.

My research has led me to an online company based in the Netherlands who seem 'trustworthy' ? https://www.dyno-chiptuningfiles.com/

I know all the Naysayers will come out of the woodwork & say this is a risky gamble ... BUT I really don't think this is ANY riskier than going to most 'Tuners' who just do exactly the same as this and DO NOT have their own 'Tuning File' database OR the ability to actually modify YOUR file ... and simply use this EXACT service & charge a hefty premium price for doing so.

When you watch THEIR YouTube video posted on their website ... you SEE just how simple the process actually is. Obviously 'Simple' up until something goes wrong ... then you are on your own with only 'Support' from the company online.

Cost wise it appears to be reasonably 'cost effective' for what I want to achieve.

So for me the costs would be:
Stage 1 tune EU 120 (Master Tune)
EGR off EU 24
Swirl Flaps off EU 24
Total EU 168 = AUD $287 plus transaction fees.

The results seem NO different to the plethora of 'Tuners' advertising their services on the net for Between $700 to $1500 ?

The results are EXACTLY what I would like to achieve with Swirl flaps being deleted, EGR turned off plus I am in the process of removing the HUGE muffler in the middle of the vehicle to increase flow & allow the turbo to spool up sooner. I'm fortunate that unlike my WK2, this vehicle has NO DPF to contend with

Will Make an update once I get the hardware to Read / Write the file from the ECU.
Old 08-03-2020
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

Really interested to see how you go with this.

I have been keen on a tune for a long time, but just never really felt like forking out the $1,200+ when the CRD does so well with a standard tune. But I would really like to turn the EGR, swirl flaps and maybe remove my DPF. Any fuel economy improvement would be a bonus!

Waiting with anticipation.
Old 08-03-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 127 Times in 96 Posts

I will also be following your process, and hopefully success. I have, a couple of times, nearly hit the go button on the GDE tune from Murchison, but am yet to find a spare $1200 that my WH couldn't use somewhere else!

I would like to see parameters like you're doing, plus remove the damn throttle cut when you left foot brake. The OEM developers/engineers clearly never reverse parked a car uphill, in tight confines, during school pickup!!!
Old 08-03-2020
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

Has any of your searching come up with ways to custom others things other than those mentioned above? Like I will have no airbags seeing the WH running gear is in a Willys Truck and would want to remove the warning etc for them.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 09-03-2020
Senior Newbie

Liked 43 Times in 25 Posts

Very keen on seeing your results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2020
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 232 Times in 189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Has any of your searching come up with ways to custom others things other than those mentioned above? Like I will have no airbags seeing the WH running gear is in a Willys Truck and would want to remove the warning etc for them.
The WH 5.7 ECU is different from the one on the CRD. Have a chat with hotwireauto.com, they might be able to remove features from it. I'm currently waiting on a 5.7 ECU from them for a stand-alone setup in a JK trail rig, will post results when it's done.
Old 10-03-2020
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts

As I expected ... my order of the required MPPS adaptor, arrived the day I flew out to work !

I have a copy of ECM Titanium from a friendly Chinese purveyor of 'affordable' software I'm not sure if the file format using MPPS hardware is the same as using AlienTech hardware ? Will find out when I get home next week & attempt to 'read' my car's ECU with the newly acquired hardware !

If the file format is the same & I can open it in ECM Titanium, will see what is readily adjusted & what isn't ? I don't intend to modify my own file for upload into the vehicles ECU but definitely want to compare the original file to the modified one supplied by Dyno-chiptuning.com that has been modified to remove the EGR & swirl motor + what is done to achieve the increased output.

Will probably get the vehicle run on a local Dyno before uploading the new modified file, then do another run after the modified file is installed.
Post New Thread  Reply