Transmission Issue - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-07-2023
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Transmission Issue

Hi all,
Another 5 speed Transmission issue
New TCM installed. No codes on Full Jscan
JScan Live Data
........ idle for 15mins from cold start (all ok)

Transmission Transmission Transfer
Shift & EVIC Temp. Case. Status
Position
Park 49°C AWD Auto - AWD
Rev 37°C AWD Auto - AWD
Neut 49°C AWD Auto - AWD
Drive 37°C AWD Auto - AWD

Park - T/case position sensor voltage 2.53v
Rev - T/case position sensor voltage 2.86v
Neut - T/case position sensor voltage 2.55v
Drive - T/case position sensor voltage 2.98v

.........Engine idle for 30 minutes

Position
Jscan
Park (Park) 68°C AWD Auto -AWD
Rev. (disengaged) 37°C AWD Auto -AWD
Neut (disengaged) 65°C AWD Auto -AWD
Drive(disengaged) 37°C AWD Auto -AWD

Transfer Case position sensor voltages as above.

.....Using Jscan
with shift in Drive I "Bussed Current Gear" & it shows 1st & then current gear changes from "disengaged" to "1st" even though the transmission is actually still disengaged

Turn engine off & wait 10 minutes and everything is good again & then all the above starts over again.

I have done a lot of work with cars & I am really enjoying the challenge of these Jeep issues so I now have 2 that need work. Retirement gives me so much more time.

Thank you.
Old 18-07-2023
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,320 Posts

A quicky glance at those voltages and stuff and it looks okay, temps well sensors vary so much but they are about the same so good also........... thats just a thought bubble, I would have to dig around to get the figures............. Retirement is great but you don't want to spend it fiddling with vehicles unless its the hobby side ....

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 18-07-2023
I just registered

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hi Drover,
I just got another GC and had a bit of a fiddle with it and found HPFP not working I have just found the recall and I have both cars on the list. Oh no what have I done. I have lots of reading now sitting back in my rocking chair.
Old 18-07-2023
Rock Munki

Liked 1,315 Times in 756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runoffroad View Post
Hi Drover,
I just got another GC and had a bit of a fiddle with it and found HPFP not working I have just found the recall and I have both cars on the list. Oh no what have I done. I have lots of reading now sitting back in my rocking chair.
Thats the first HPFP fail Ive heard of here on this forum....very interesting indeed....the recall is Global and effects 100's of thousands of vehicles from many brands....the BOSCH pump is widely used....sooooooo....do you have 3x GC's with one failed pump or 2x GC's with one failed pump ?.
ps: pump can be tebiult by a good Hydrualic Pump shop...but....from reading....the failure ends the entire fuel systems life...hence vehicle is toast.....interesting to hear how you go.....GOOD LUCK !

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 19-07-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,931 Times in 2,320 Posts

If the HPFP isn't working before having a major coronary it is more than likely something other than the chaos fail, I would actually inspect the micro filter in the metering valve, simple to get at, if thats full of crud then pull the pump off and get a diesel shop to look at it, diesel fuel pumps are best sorted on a very clean space. If the pump has had the big fail then its going to be a prick of a job.... would mean that its had some other dramas as well, the pumps seem to have failed mostly in the US and mostly due to poor maintenance procedures and bad fuel, VW experienced failures years ago and it was due to poor fuel and aeratation in the system ..... some old school mechanic cranking the engine over to lift the fuel up is another bad idea for most CRD's............
Links to many good reads on the subject around here but a simple google search for Bosch CP4 failures brings up a lot, there would be about 4 million CP4 pumps in circulation...............

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 22-07-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 570 Times in 293 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runoffroad View Post
Hi all,
Another 5 speed Transmission issue
New TCM installed. No codes on Full Jscan
JScan Live Data
........ idle for 15mins from cold start (all ok)

Position
Park 49°C AWD Auto - AWD
Rev 37°C AWD Auto - AWD
Neut 49°C AWD Auto - AWD
Drive 37°C AWD Auto - AWD

Park - T/case position sensor voltage 2.53v
Rev - T/case position sensor voltage 2.86v
Neut - T/case position sensor voltage 2.55v
Drive - T/case position sensor voltage 2.98v

.........Engine idle for 30 minutes

Position
Jscan
Park (Park) 68°C AWD Auto -AWD
Rev. (disengaged) 37°C AWD Auto -AWD
Neut (disengaged) 65°C AWD Auto -AWD
Drive(disengaged) 37°C AWD Auto -AWD

Transfer Case position sensor voltages as above.

.....Using Jscan
with shift in Drive I "Bussed Current Gear" & it shows 1st & then current gear changes from "disengaged" to "1st" even though the transmission is actually still disengaged

Turn engine off & wait 10 minutes and everything is good again & then all the above starts over again.

I have done a lot of work with cars & I am really enjoying the challenge of these Jeep issues so I now have 2 that need work. Retirement gives me so much more time.

Thank you.
Always interested in these gearbox issues as I swear that’s what causes my intermittent loss of power when the gearbox warms up. Having the gearbox rebuilt solves the problem for a while. As my gearbox was failing there was a stage that no throttle response in D or R but came back in P or N also after it warmed up. Never any codes or lights. The car did actually select the gear as it could drive forward or back at idle on flat ground

Your other problem, the hpfp is mechanically driven so as drover said check the filter in the M Prop solenoid it is where the fuel goes from low pressure to the high pressure side (on top of the pump), the filter will be either missing (destroyed) or choked with fine metal shavings from the roller follower chewing out the cam as it has turned 90 degrees

I have been meaning to look at the other thread where the TCM was suspected but it hasn’t been updated, might give it a nudge although he was getting a tc clutch slipping code even though it wasn’t slipping

Bob

PS my handbook (original) says not to idle the Diesel engine longer than ten minutes as it cools down too much and can varnish the bore, oh and originally my gearbox ran at 68 deg C then when the dealer serviced it at 40,000 k’s it was increased to 80 deg C
Old 22-07-2023
Rock Munki

Liked 1,315 Times in 756 Posts

My 5spd ran/runs at 80C when its not 'slipping'...jumps to over 100C when the Moreys 'stops working' now....pull over for 30min to an hour its 'right to go' again.
Interesting bout that 'cool engine' scoring/glazing' the bore...mine runs around the 60Cish always...unless Im towing or 'driving hard'.....highway speed 100-115ish and it sits between 60-73C..never higher (unhitched).....weird

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Post New Thread  Reply