Why do You Own a XJ - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-09-2018
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 86 Times in 64 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Another awesome story Alex. Sorry about the loss, but so good you have a connection of sorts with the car and to him.

Oh Man these things are a bit special aren't they.... A lot of people question why I have mine. But you own one, you'll realise why 😁
Old 26-09-2018
Established Member

Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishW96 View Post
Sobek, this really got me. Im sorry to hear about your mother. Make sure you never get rid of it. It's funny how much a car can bring back memories. Unfortunate as my parents either lost or sold the cars of my childhood, depending on the circumstances. Special one was the gu patrol...

Anyways, always that characterful thing that holds so many more memories than we can fathom. Takes us everywhere and (hopefully) there when we need them. In the last year of ownership, I have had so many experiences with my XJ, both good and bad. But you can't get that with a Camry.
Thanks Hamish I suppose like a good old book or your favourite food, along with the way it looks or smells or feels there's just certain memories and feelings attached to it. A car is no different, it's just the masculinity nonsense that makes it such a cliche haha. People create a stigma about applying love or special feelings towards a car, but bugger the lot of them! If they can love their favourite jumper, or old tube radio or whatever... well damnit I'm gonna love my Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbrown64 View Post
Some good stories there.....

My XJ has been a long journey. It used to belong to my brother Matt. I remember him driving it around. It was the top of the wazza limited with leather, aircon and power everything. He passed away and i was tasked with selling it as part of the estate. I drove it around for a while to get quotes and do some repairs.... and then there was no way i could part with her. The family connection, those comfy black leather arm chair seats.. the noisy aircon blower.. lots of character!!

So i decided to keep her, but jazz her up as the family "monster truck". Got in trouble with the law running 35's and it took 2 years to get the defect notice removed and engineering completed.

Now she is still not perfect. I have all the parts, but trying to find the time to regear back to 4.56, rebuild the transfer case, add rear disc brakes (with ABS), and add a CB radio, high output alternator and a few other things.

Long journey.. but i will get there. I hope she will be my daily driver soon. She has done 325,000 but still starts in a split second and doesn't miss a beat. Lots of lessons learnt along the way, as she let me down once when the coil failed. Now i always keep all sensors and electricals in tip top shape.

Hope to be back on these forums more often soon with updates on the mods to the old girl..

Cheers,
This is the dream!! I hope some day I can get the little things all sorted out so I can focus on doing the fun stuff in the Jeep again. I love what you've done with it. I'm so sorry about your brother... when I read your story, it made me wonder - what would MY brother think of my Jeep if I suddenly passed away. It's such a bizarre thought. Would he apply some special meaning to it in memory of me as I do with my mother? Crazy how a hunk of steel can make us feel so weird inside.

Keep on doing what you're doing. I'm not far behind you - 298k and climbing!! And finally after almost 300k the electricals did need some TLC hahaha. Good as new
Old 26-09-2018
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

I totally agree its like as you said your favourite chair meal beer tv show what ever a car is like that so is a motor bike LOL I wish I had half the toys I have had over the years in one big collection But some are more special than others I could not even consider being without my XJ and PT Cruiser even if I won loto I would get a hire car send them away to someone to make them new again LOL
I wanted a cruiser for many years finally got one then I discovered XJs they are both special more than cars or statements they are family members like your dogs and cats
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 29-09-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Having a jeep was a thing in my teen years even though no one I knew had one. When I came back to Aus 4 years ago I needed a cheep ride with a baby in tow.

I saw the xj for sale, forest green, my favourite colour, my year of birth was in the number plate, and it was a jeep. And considered the cars of today can bend like beckham the jeeps body was strong. So if it can climb mountains it can handle Sydneys potholed roads.

I keep it because I just like it, also everybody says get rid of it, its worth nothing, expensive to run and old. And when Im told to do it, I dont. Bieng an old coot like that my jeep and I go hand in hand.
Post New Thread  Reply