UHF Install - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default UHF Install

Hey guys, im gettin a uhf this wknd, but still a little unsure as too where i'm going to mount it yet! Was wondering where some ppl have mounted theres for some ideas! Cheers guys!
Old 07-11-2009
AJOR Bronze

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

There is already a lot of good threads on this.
You can't search for a small word like UHF, but you can search for UHF antenna in the JK forum, and they all pop up...

Based on those threads, and a mixture of other members' good ideas, this is what I did:

GME TX3420

External speaker:

Cable tied to demister vents:

Power wiring antenna cable come through the firewall on the passenger side of the engine bay:

The wires go through some polyurethane foam that is part of the firewall. I stabbed a length of fencing wire through, attached the wires on with electrical tape and pulled them through into the cabin.
This is the inside view from the easy to remove panel to the left of the glovebox:

*edit* I forgot to mention that the MAIN UNIT is stuffed up behind the glovebox. It is actually just wedged up and to the left. Probably above the speaker. I couldn't find anywhere that fit nice, or a place to cable tie it on and still have the glovebox shut properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0710.jpg
Views:	1226
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	36631   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0712.jpg
Views:	1083
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	36632   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0703.jpg
Views:	1041
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	36633   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0711.jpg
Views:	1061
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	36634   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0709.jpg
Views:	1042
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	36635  

Last edited by Big_T; 07-11-2009 at 10:31 AM. Reason: added some info
Old 07-11-2009
AJOR Bronze

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Antenna is attached to the A pillar with a S/S eyebolt.
As discussed elsewhere, this is a metric thread, and something like a 10mm eyebolt from a boating shop will just screw right in.
I have found it is difficult to get this bolt real tight, and if you get enough leverage onto it (big antenna hits branch), the eyebolt still turns
Also, the rubber washer I had cut at Clarks Rubber is starting to crack on the edges. No big deal, but maybe neoprene rubber would have been better:

I have reused an old spring antenna mount and cable from my previous Jeep. I would not recommend this mount as it is too big, unwieldy and unneccesary. I used to have a fibreglass 1.4m antenna on it on the front bullbar of my TJ.

Right now around the city I just have my little rubber cheap jobbie installed. All I really need is close convoy communications for Club trips.
If I was starting from new (and what I might get in the future) I would get a RFI CD900 Rugged **6.5db** UHF CB Antenna

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0713.jpg
Views:	1065
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	36636   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0707.jpg
Views:	1103
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	36637  

Last edited by Big_T; 07-11-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-11-2009
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 126 Times in 88 Posts

Just be careful when buying I would recomend a set with a remote face or controls on the mice as the JK's are very limited in mounting positions for the larger sets GME has a new one out thats about the size of a cig packet (with the option of controls on the mic) that would be easy to mount in the jk tx 3100 or tx3340 or the icom ic-440 looks nice and small also
Old 07-11-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for your help guys! Um, was just thinking of mounting my unit ontop of my dash! Im too worryed bout looks n wateva, just thought that would easiest! But thanks for the antenna ideas, very helpful as i dont hav a bullbar as of yet!
Old 07-11-2009
AJOR Bronze

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I agree. You definately don't want anything bigger than a TX3420.

If there are smaller units available, it would be easier to secure the main unit behind the glovebox or centre console maybe
Old 07-11-2009
AJOR Bronze

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by damxr View Post
Thanks for your help guys! Um, was just thinking of mounting my unit ontop of my dash
Only problems with that are it being in the sun, and it being obvious for someone to steal it.
Post New Thread  Reply