The Jeep Wave Explained - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > PORTAL > AUSTRALIAN JEEP NEWS
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2017
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,173 Times in 708 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default The Jeep Wave Explained

<br />
Jeep waveOwning a Jeep doesn’t just open up the opportunity to traverse the path less traveled, you also gain a kinship among all Jeep owners.

This camaraderie is on display every time you pass another person driving a Jeep in the form of a wave.

Jeep Wave is an honor bestowed upon those drivers with the superior intelligence, taste, class and discomfort tolerance to own the ultimate vehicle: The Jeep.

“Warning: Owning, registering, insuring, or driving a Jeep implies knowledge of, and intent to abide by the following rules, regulations, and guidelines. Failure to obey the letter or spirit of the rules may result in your being ignored by other Jeep owners as you sit along the side of the road next to your stalled vehicle in a blizzard surrounded by Saturns, Yugos, and Hyundais. — Jeep Talk”

Originally practiced by Jeep owners driving the CJ, YJ, TJ and JK, the Jeep Wave now extends to all members of the Jeep family.

The Jeep Wave generally consists of a vigorous side-to-side motion of one or both hands, a raised hand waving, or two or four fingers extended upward from the steering wheel. While these are generally what describe the Jeep Wave, it may be modified to suit circumstances and locally accepted etiquette.

Some examples of commonly accepted modifications are having your Jeep top off and a one handed wave above windshield or outside body tub. Or, if you find yourself in a southern or more rural location, the wave is usually just a raise of fingers from the steering wheel and a nod.

The rules for the Jeep Wave are pretty straightforward. All Jeepers are responsible for upholding the tradition of the wave.

If a fellow Jeeper waves, you are required to return the wave even if that Jeeper is driving a Grand Cherokee or Compass. It’s as simple as that.

Jeeps aren’t the only vehicles whose drivers wave to one another. There have been sightings of Mini-Cooper drivers, Porsche drivers, classic car drivers and Harley riders sharing waves with each other as well. But there can only be one Jeep Wave.

Interested in finding out where you stand in the Jeep Wave Hierarchy? Then check out the Jeep Wave Score Calculator!

Source: Andrew Boyle
http://www.cjponyparts.com/resources...wave-explained

Share your thoughts below.

www.ausjeepoffroad.com

Last edited by Jimmyb; 10-06-2017 at 03:17 AM.
Old 10-06-2017
Jedi Master

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I got around 80% success rate with Wrangler and built XJ owners.

1 or two from ZJ/WJs

Have not seen WHs for a while now..

Zero from WK2s, KLs, etc.

Old 10-06-2017
Trail Twister

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 840 Times in 479 Posts

My wife....

Old 10-06-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 161 Times in 131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyvokka View Post
I got around 80% success rate with Wrangler and built XJ owners.

1 or two from ZJ/WJs

Have not seen WHs for a while now..

Zero from WK2s, KLs, etc.

I drive a WJ and wave to all Jeeps but have noticed a 0% response from the Soccer Mum brigade (no real surprise there) and like you, the best response rate is from those who actually put effort into upgrading their vehicles.

Doug.
Old 10-06-2017
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 307 Times in 169 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

The further you are from a capital city - the more waves you get, no matter what you or anyone else is driving.
Did a double crossing of the Nullarbor early this year and EVERYBODY waved - even motorcyclists (and there were plenty of those).

My 'go-to' 'wave' is both hands at the top of the steering wheel and flick a double 'peace' sign
Old 10-06-2017
Jedi Master

Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
The further you are from a capital city - the more waves you get, no matter what you or anyone else is driving.
Did a double crossing of the Nullarbor early this year and EVERYBODY waved - even motorcyclists (and there were plenty of those).

My 'go-to' 'wave' is both hands at the top of the steering wheel and flick a double 'peace' sign
My first day at Lord Howe with the wife, both on push bikes we eagerly waved at others, pedestrians and motorists alike. We got the same eager response from noobs to the island like us but seasoned locals merely raised a lazy index finger... By the third day we thought ourselves as seasoned too.....the lazy index finger salute!! LOL,

Jeep waves are different though..pointed and directed at Jeeps and only Jeeps.
Old 10-06-2017
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

I'm usually looking at most rigs getting around but get no such love from other Jeep owners, I was even stopped at a set of lights next to another WJ and the dude didn't even glance over

Sent from under my Grand Cherokee