What do i need to run 35' tyres - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-02-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default What do i need to run 35' tyres

hi all.

I’m sure this has been discussed over the years. I’m looking at upgrading to 35" tyres. In laments terms what would i need to run them properly with no breaks , also anyone know rough $ amount including labour ? the use would be daily driver plus offroad use.

Also is it just best to bite the bullet and go for 37’s would the costs be the same ?
Old 23-02-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanly View Post
hi all.

I’m sure this has been discussed over the years. I’m looking at upgrading to 35" tyres. In laments terms what would i need to run them properly with no breaks , also anyone know rough $ amount including labour ? the use would be daily driver plus offroad use.

Also is it just best to bite the bullet and go for 37’s would the costs be the same ?
Stanley, someone more expert than me is going to jump on here and give you the full deal but you should know some things before you start.

1. The stock wheels are not legaly wide enough so you will probably need new rims, although some people have fitted them to the stock rims and taken the risk.

2. The stock rims may not have the right backspacing for these size tyres leading to scrubbing on the suspension during turning.

3. The current ring and pinion ratio suits a 31" tyre so to relieve stress on your drivetrain you should consider re-gearing especially if you have 3.21 stock ratio's.

4. The wheels and tyres will hang outside the guards so you will need new guards to stay legal.

5. The rear tailgate may not be strong enought to carry the weight of 35's which is why people buy new rear bars and tyre carriers.

6. You will probably need a mild lift for the 35's (say 2" or a spacer lift).

7. For 37's you will need to cut the pinch seam.

As you can see the cost won't just be the 35" tyres (which cost a bomb by the way) there are other associated costs which could run into the thousands.
All this stuff would cost about the same for 37's (except for the cost of the rubber) so if you really want 37's go for them straight up.

Last edited by malexander; 06-03-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 23-02-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

wheels are fine, im currently running 33" on procomp 18" wheels with 4.75 backspacing. the guards and tire carrier are allready on the list of upgrades anyway. i just wanted to know the mechanical mods needed to diffs and ratios etc. whtats the ball park figure i would be looking at ? 5K or plus
Old 23-02-2011
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

bigger you go over stock, alot more maintenance..
Old 23-02-2011
DetroitDemon

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

3 inch lift, bump stop extensions, 4.5" BS rims, swing away tyre carrier, 4.56 gears (although 4.11's work fine), wider flares, you may need to to space out your front bumper depending what it is
Old 23-02-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Default Great answer

All good advice from malexander.

I'm not a lift or Jeep guru but I've had 4 Jeeps which hopefully qualifies me at least to be a serious jeepaholic. I have done 10 months of research and so I hear where this thread is coming from. It all will cost a bomb to get right... although this varies according to which guru you speak to.

Getting FULLY sorted for 35's will be (from my research) virtually the same as what you would need for 37's. I had a guy at ARB last year throw a wet blanket on my lift plans...he reckoned the cost would be 12,000 and so I should keep my "fantastic" ARB lift. I laughed but he was almost right... I have spent way more but I'm very glad I flicked the ARB lift.

One of the best bits of advice I had when pondering whether to lift 3.5 or 4.5 inches was "if you don't you will wish you had"... I love my 35's and 4.5 inch lift but 37's are coming.

Give or take a few technical bits this is what I have come to for a solid, and not OTT, set up...but guru opinions always welcome:

Quality lift with ALL the fruit - control arms and adjustable tough everything.
3.5 or 4.5 inch lift depending on how long your legs are. Both will work well within most of flex range.
Extended brake lines (not brackets)
Heavy duty front and rear tail shafts
Diff gears min 4.88 or above to 5.13's. Lots of variables here.
Axles sleeved, new seals, C Gussets - minimum - and ideally chromoly axles.
Heavy duty front disk brake upgrade
Diff pot hats
Some underside protection
Transmission cooler?...maybe
Aero gauges or similar to keep an eye on things.
35's - $2-2.5,000
37's - $3-3.6,000
Decent rims with good back spacing of about 4.75
Flares
Heavy duty ball joints

I reckon you would need about $15,000 + tyres n wheels

I will await to be shot down!

A few sensible thoughts I hope

ps. The Highrock tailgate carrier carries both 35,s and 37's. Not essential to have a new bar and carrier only if you're going to do a lot of extreme 4x4 and/or you want to carry jerry cans etc. Highrock is fraction of the cost and maintains a stock style look if that's an issue. Also opens as one with tailgate as normal. I will be confidently keeping mine when I soon move up to 37's.

Last edited by SharpWraX; 23-02-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 24-02-2011
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

Knowing a little about you rig Stanley....... and its current state of mods..... another thing to keep in mind is that everyone on the trip was double locked and geared ( Rubi TCases ). You also have a Dana 30 front axle, everyone else ( except Bill ) were running D44's or D60's mostly with aftermarket axles. Bills 30 has no stock parts either so a D30 can be uprated but its work and $$

YOu also haven't mentioned lockers. Transfer case perhaps but definately axle ratios are going to need doing - 4.88:1 definatley for 37's 4.5:1 or 4.88:1 for 35's depending on the mix of off and offroad driving.

Your rig did very well, but offroad driven Jeeps are never ending projects and there's ALWAYS something that "needs" improving.

Get out there and enjoy yourself - you'll soon be able to figure out what mods are required first and give you "bang for your buck" and the others that would be good but can wait.

Also different owners set their vehicles up in different ways to suit their driving - following advice when you havn't seen other peoples rigs in action might not achive what your after. E.g. - if you set it up as a crawler and then tour you won't be happy

So once again - get out there, choose your level of difficulty, look at others rigs actually being used and then make whatever decissions as to what to do.