XJ: TD 'Pocket Tourer' - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2007
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Auxillary Tank Coming soon.

Auxillary tank coming soon with 125L long range tank to replace OE.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aux Tank.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	22018   Click image for larger version

Name:	aux tank 2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	22019  
Old 10-10-2007
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Air tank install Options

I am thinking of installing the tank above the diff in drive train tunnel as picture.

Thinking of wiring up:

I have two compressors. I am planning at putting air bag rear suspension in and air lockers and want to mount a tank underneath the car. I want to look at prices for fittings; gauges, sagety valves etc.. I was thinking of running the compressor to a tank (at 130psi) so I would need a safety valve, water filter and pressure gauge for that. I imagine that I need a pressure gauge that runs between the switch and compressor so it will automatically turn compressor off when desired pressuer is fitted.

From tank will run arb lockers (when the money comes around) and air bag suspension for levelling of rear with heavy loads.

I think ARB lockers run at 85-105 psi? so I will need a regulator to bring tank pressure down and then the rest should be supplied with lockers (switches relays etc..).

The air bags would require gauges and a on off switch connected to a valve to allow air to flow from tank to bags. GOJEEP has an excellent write up but uses manual inflation.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airtank3lq2.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	22020   Click image for larger version

Name:	oba61.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	22021  
Old 10-10-2007
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Hot Water Shower!!!

So I have the Air Tank install on the go (need to install and a few parts) Plus tryig to source air bags and fit them at same time of tank I think, fuel tank installs on the go (still need pump, sender and gauge for auxillary...and awaiting delivery of both tanks!!) but I found this twine heat exchanger cheap on EBAY.

So now that is on its way and designing install for that. I thin that I will stop thinking of ideas and finish these projects.

To cap off....So far a completely stock 1997 XJ TD was bought and modded as such...

Bridgestone AT (30 inch)
3.5 Inch lift (1.75 inch coils [king springs], EFS Rear leafs witch 1.75inch shackle and 1.75 inch spacer in front)
Shocks to come (Skyjacker as trial, maybe thinking Bilstein for front)
Snorkel Fitted
ARB Bar
Radio
Aerial
Lights
Dual battery system

Coming soon...

Airbags (rear springs)
OBA
Auxillary tank
Long range tank
Hot water shower with tank, pump (both in and out)
Exhaust mod

On wish list...

DP chip
Water to air intercooler (designed and some parts bought but on hold until i finish other projects)
Rear bar with twin whell carrier
Winch (third battery)
ARB locker (rear first then front...figure leaf springs need some help with traction)
Roof Rack
Bonnet vents
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Twine Heat Exchanger.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	22022  
Old 11-10-2007
AJOR Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

indertdxj. Great write up. You make me wish I knew more about this sort of thing as these are the things I want to do to my XJ, but paying others to do it, costs plenty.

Really looking forward to the completed project. Looks great already.

You fit the snorkel yourself ?

Is jeepless.

Now has a Prado and thinks no one will talk to him now :p
Old 11-10-2007
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got the snorkel fitted by a 4x4 company in Strathpine (Brisbane) for $120. The snorkel cost $300 from 4x4 systems.

I had nearly no mechanical knowledge when I started, just been learning as I go. Lots of time on the net on different forums reading post after post after post and asking stupid questions and reading a whole lot of stuff I don't have any idea about and then finding out about it. It has become more than a hobby its an obsession!!!

Big jobs coming up though....auxillary fuel tank. I have no idea how I am going to work out which sender for the tank (I have to find one) will match a suitable gauge (also have to find one) and how the transfer pump (when I find one) is suitable.

I reckon airbags might be a little tricky...GOJEEP has the sight for it but I want a fully adjustable in cab system. So have to put my thinking cap on and find more parts.
Old 11-10-2007
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

Just a note on the battery controller, you do realize that if you left it on both when stopped, it would drain both batteries? Also if you have one dead battery, as soon as you switch to both, it will drag the good one down until the voltage is equal in both. Can kill you good battery until you have both dead!

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 11-10-2007
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

Also keep a very close eye in the rear upper shackle boxes. They are prone to cracking which is made far worse when longer shackles are used due to the extra leverage. They will also create more rear sway on the road and rear steer offroad.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Post New Thread  Reply